An Explanation, An Apology, and a DoE

Braunsberg

New_Alliance6.png

First things first: announcing Praeteritum. We are an alliance themed on classical civilization, with the objective of upholding and successfully operating solid democratic principles. Among other things, of course.

And now, if you please, sit back and prepare for a book, because I have a lot to address. Given the chaos and turbulence of the past couple days (for some of us, anyway), I will be explaining exactly what has been going on with this Praeteritum group (some of whom are from Terradoxia, like myself; I will be going through the entire thing), followed by an apology to those of you who happened to receive the bad end of the picture, followed by a description of what our group intends/hopes to do.

I will start off with myself, given that I gathered together the majority of our group. Ever since I hopped onto P&W from NationStates, I have been planning to eventually create a new alliance. I liked the experience of being a founder in NS, partially because I gained quite a handful of now-personal friends, and I hoped to do much the same in P&W. Even when I first joined The European Empire (the original name of Paradoxia, which later merged into Terradoxia), I had told Jackson that my plan was ultimately to try something on my own.

While my nation was still rather small, I didn't really pay attention to how the alliance was administered, particularly because I didn't know the game well enough to evaluate leadership. However, right about the time that TEE was renamed "Paradoxia," and especially after we merged with United States of Terra to create Terradoxia, I began to pay a bit more attention to what was going on. And I consistently noticed that basically all the decisions were made by the top two, perhaps three, nations in the alliance - that is, of course, what you should expect from an alliance calling itself a monarchy, but I wasn't too fond of it, and I began to notice that a few other nations consistently expressed much the same opinion on certain decisions as I did. Back in late May, I had thought it rather foolish that Terradoxia rolled into the VE war when hardly anything was left, but after brief criticism I went along with it, even though no war slots were left for the targets I had been assigned to.

I started to feel especially uncomfortable when the first big investigation of last187 started in early June. I noticed that Seabasstion had been digging up some numbers (since then I've discovered he digs up numbers for most things, relevant or not :P ) to accuse last187 of cheating, and I offered him my encouragement via PM and added a few observations of my own to the forum investigation. Although Sheepy was not able to prove that an exploit was at work, I was convinced that last187 and Jackson were illegitimate, and so I started to develop more serious doubts about the Terradoxian government (at the time, of course, I had no idea whether Morgan and his pals were involved or not, as I didn't use Skype with them). I was particularly frustrated when Terradoxia began gearing up for war with TEst, for a reason that we were not told of, and the defense minister had not even been consulted.

Then, of course, in early July last187 and his crew were finally proven to be cheaters, and the resulting chaos and fire towards Terradoxia gave me more than enough reason to finally give a decent shot at the idea of a new alliance (I had tried in early May and actually assembled a fine group, but in the end I had not gone through with it). So I contacted the two people in Terradoxia who I knew were very like-minded to myself: Francopell and Heinrich Dahler. Heinrich Dahler said he liked the idea and supported me, but he preferred to stay in Terradoxia; Francopell, however, decided to try it with me. We were both in agreement that if a new alliance was to be made, we should try to create a democratic one - elected officials rather than appointed ones, occasional referenda if time allowed, and more original ways of getting ordinary members involved with decisions of the alliance. With Francopell's support, I contacted a circle of nations from other alliances (some of whom were from my original group in early May) and explained our idea, and with that, we got to work.

Before I contacted these nations, I had decided that, in line with the democratic idea, it would not be so fair for me to create an alliance based on my own idea, and simply ask the rest of the group to conform. Instead, after we had successfully gathered about eight people, we created a private forum so that we could all agree on the details of the alliance together, to ensure that everyone was satisfied with the result. At the time, I certainly recognized that such a process would take a great deal of time, and that Terradoxia was at risk of being attacked; however, I'd expected that we would finish soon enough to avoid anything particularly major. (And to be fair, we almost did.)

While we started working on our forum, I contacted a few large alliances - Viridian Entente, DEIC, Rose, and Uranicus Socialitas - in order to ask for some kind of protection agreement. Rose, VE and US all told me they would discuss the proposal and provide me with a list of terms; DEIC asked me for my proposal, but never responded after that. VE was the only alliance to complete its terms before the recent war mess - and in fact we were very happy with what they had offered us. They told us that if we entered an agreement it would be a two-way friendship almost like an alliance; given that we had expected to be paying someone for protection, we thought that was very generous, and were prepared to accept the offer upon completing the details of our alliance.

About one week ago, we received a message from Heinrich Dahler, who remained in the Terradoxian government. He still was not joining our group, of course, but he was friendly with us - he informed us that Josh Freer and Morgan were planning to charge me and possibly Francopell with "treason" for planning to leave the alliance together with Asierith. That didn't bother me much, but it did away with any remaining loyalty I had to Terradoxia. We also heard that they might demand money from us; that was a slightly greater concern because our only plan for funding to that point was to request for a portion of our tax contributions to be returned to us before leaving, and the likelihood of that became significantly lower. In any case, we decided to speed up our work on our forum, especially after I spoke with ELPINCHAZO a few days later and he asked me why I hadn't left Terradoxia yet (I told him I simply didn't have a reason to go anywhere else until the new alliance was made; now I wonder if he was subtly hinting towards the attacks of a couple days ago. But I won't demand an answer for that question ;) ).

Therefore, after working for a couple weeks, we were only a few days away from having everything we needed to start the new alliance. But then, of course, we got a square punch in the mouth when Terradoxia was suddenly attacked a couple days ago. Most of our nation's weren't in Terradoxia, but those who were happened to be quite important. The morning I logged on and saw the wars, I sent messages to the rest of our Terradoxian nations and asked them what we should do - they all agreed that it would be wisest to seek temporary help from Viridian Entente, since they had at least offered us friendly terms earlier. Partially due to the impending charge of "treason" against us, we had no desire to fight for Terradoxia and no reason to defend it, and therefore had no reason to think twice about leaving what, for all we knew, could have been a major war. Before we rolled out, I thought it would be imperative to try to secure peace with the nations attacking both myself and my comrades. While I was trying to speak with them, I received a message from Heinrich Dahler; now that the war had broken out, he decided he didn't want to stay either. I told him we were preparing to leave for VE until the new alliance was ready; he asked me if I could negotiate with his attacker, Cvepe, and secure peace. In return for my help, Heinrich Dahler told me that if we didn't manage to request the tax contribution we had been planning to ask for (I had told him about that after he informed me that money might be demanded of us) since we were leaving for VE, he would be able to withdraw it himself before he left. Just as Heinrich Dahler told me that, one of my attackers - your friendly neighborhood Dan77 - offered to "beige me as painlessly as possible." I suppose that sounded better than nothing, but my intent was to get rid of the wars, not to decrease their severity. As a result, considering that Dan77 had raided me with the objective of gaining money, I thought a possible solution to convince him to full peace would be to offer him money myself; since Heinrich Dahler had offered to pull our tax contribution from the bank, that was what I offered. And after that, Dan77 took a fine screenshot of the messages and stuck it here on the forum, me offering him money pulled from Terradoxia's bank.

I had not expected the offer to be a big deal, but, you know, this is the internet. I felt bad because it looked especially awful to the nations in Terradoxia who I did hold respect for - Talerong, notably, who I believe was the first to see the screenshot on the forum - but I also felt sorry for the rest of my group, because I was responsible for assembling them and keeping them secure, and now the whole lot of us looked like a pack of Henries (no offense, my friend, you have fine attributes of your own :) ). The situation felt even worse because we had been only a few days away from moving to our new alliance, and right then and there an obstacle decided to arrive.

And before I continue, at this point I want to apologize to Talerong, Eugene Faulkner, Will Golay, and plenty of others who knew me in Terradoxia and got a big dose of betrayal out of that mess, because even though I will hold that's not what it was due to our new alliance, I certainly won't argue that it looked straight-up like it.

Anyhow, my group arrived in VE and I tried to explain the situation to VE's ministers - we didn't really have anywhere else to go for the time being, and we only needed a few days to finish the plans for the new alliance. To make a long story short, they weren't too happy. Our five Terradoxian nations had hauled a lot of crap and drama with us thanks to the wars and the mess about bank robbery on the forum. I got frustrated and made my point very clear in defense of my group; Impero said he sympathized but wasn't sure whether to risk supporting our alliance or not. In the end, he decided to have us choose either to join VE permanently or head out to the new alliance, and gave us today to sit on the applicant list. We had been hoping for some legitimate help, of course, but in any case I will openly thank Viridian Entente for putting up with us for two days. The temporary "maybe" at least helped to a degree.

So all through today my group and I rushed around trying to make final decisions and arrangements. We decided we were going to persist with our project and stick together, and today we took a quick vote to choose a name for the alliance, and the majority chose Praeteritum. In the meantime, I spoke with Robb Stark of UPN to see if they would be willing to make a protection agreement, and I asked one of our other nations to speak with the leaders of his own alliance, Cornerstone (although I don't know how that went). As a back-up plan, I negotiated with Ogaden about a temporary mercenary contract with Arrgh until we found a more permanent means of protection. Since we hadn't heard back from UPN as of tonight, I finalized our contract with Arrgh to ensure our alliance had defense upon its creation.

And that's the end of it, folks - over the next day or so, our nations will be moving into the alliance. We plan to set up an interim government while we take additional time to put together a more permanent and thorough government system. As founder of Praeteritum, I will not assume any government power once the more thorough system is established, aside from doing the necessary promotions/demotions and changes in accordance with government decisions and elections. In the meantime, however, we will be working together to make sure our system allows ample opportunity for ordinary members to have a voice in alliance decisions and, of course, elections.

For the time being, while we search for a long-term agreement to replace our temporary contract with Arrgh, we are of course open to any alliances interested in mutual defense or similar agreements. Good friends are always welcome. :)

And lastly, a tip of the hat to Terradoxia, Josh Freer, Will Golay, and Morgan for holding up to quite a shocking amount of adversity, another thank-you to VE for its brief help (and, of course, a thank-you to Arrgh for giving us a contract), and a final apology - from both myself and Praeteritum's entire group - to those of you who have been given a poor impression of us due to the bank money bit. I hope, through Praeteritum, that we may restore a good impression of ourselves and prove to be a friendly and reliable alliance.

Thank you everyone.

Edited by Roma
  • Upvote 6

"Bibant, quoniam edere nolunt." ~ "Let them drink, since they do not wish to eat."

003.png.dec0ea9eb3902372b8bbca44165b588f.png

futurama1.jpg

• Upvote 2

LordRahl2, on 10 Jul 2015 - 5:53 PM, said: "Imagine it. Lets say that Sheepy had an idea that was at lest questionable. As a way out there idea lets say he thought about adding T-Rexs to the game in some way." "As you know this is hypothetical since Sheepy has never considered adding T-Rexs to the game."

1dmzX2D.jpg

Roman SPQR, Zoroastrian Faravahar, Egyptian Ankh, Yin and Yang, Pagan Triskele, Wheel of Dharma, and two others I can't quite gather what they are right now stand for... what? There is something called too much and the overload of symbols which don't mesh with the Roman theme take away from it in my opinion. 

Beyond that. Good luck after all that unfortunate business. 

• Upvote 1

now the whole lot of us looked like a pack of Henries (no offense, my friend, you have fine attributes of your own  :))

lol, and they are? 

• Upvote 1

yVHTSLQ.png

(TEst lives on but I'm in BK stronk now and too lazy to change the image)

Roman SPQR, Zoroastrian Faravahar, Egyptian Ankh, Yin and Yang, Pagan Triskele, Wheel of Dharma, and two others I can't quite gather what they are right now stand for... what? There is something called too much and the overload of symbols which don't mesh with the Roman theme take away from it in my opinion. 

Beyond that. Good luck after all that unfortunate business. 

To correct and complete, they are the Roman SPQR, the yin-yang, the Egyptian ankh, the Greek lambda, the Mayan hunab ku, the Celtic knot, the Carthaginian symbol of Tanit, and the Persian eagle (not exactly the same as the Zoroastrian one, but very similar never mind, it does happen to be the same as the faravahar, I thought they were different :)).

The main reason it has so much is because some of our group didn't want it to be focused on the Mediterranean civilizations, and they preferred for it to be inclusive of all classical civilizations in general. This flag may or may not be the one we use, we didn't really have enough time to give anyone else a chance to make one. So it may change.

And thank you for the good luck wish! We will work hard.

lol, and they are? 

Well, for one, he helped catch last187. That's pretty laudable if you ask me, it could have been very destructive if last187 kept that up for much longer.

Edited by Roma

"Bibant, quoniam edere nolunt." ~ "Let them drink, since they do not wish to eat."

To correct and complete, they are the Roman SPQR, the yin-yang, the Egyptian ankh, the Greek lambda, the Mayan hunab ku, the Celtic knot, the Carthaginian symbol of Tanit, and the Persian eagle (not exactly the same as the Zoroastrian one, but very similar never mind, it does happen to be the same as the faravahar, I thought they were different :)).

The main reason it has so much is because some of our group didn't want it to be focused on the Mediterranean civilizations, and they preferred for it to be inclusive of all classical civilizations in general. This flag may or may not be the one we use, we didn't really have enough time to give anyone else a chance to make one. So it may change.

And thank you for the good luck wish! We will work hard.

Well, for one, he helped catch last187. That's pretty laudable if you ask me, it could have been very destructive if last187 kept that up for much longer.

It isn't just a Greek Lambda - it was the symbol placed on all the shields of Lacedaemon of Sparta. Pretty important imo.

It isn't just a Celtic knot, it's the trinity knot/triquestra. It's *the* ultimate Celtic pagan symbol, meaning for Mother, Maiden, and Crone (or the trinity in Christianity). 

Tanit was a Goddess. 

Not exactly sure where your idea of "Classical Civilization" came from, but when I've studied it it's only ever been Greek and Roman stuff.

yVHTSLQ.png

(TEst lives on but I'm in BK stronk now and too lazy to change the image)

Did you really name your alliance something which translates as "something which was insignificant and went unnoticed"? Because that is literally how praetereo is used in Latin. I guess this was supposed to be a Pretorian reference?

• Upvote 1

☾☆

Priest of Dio

just because the Nazis did something doesn't mean it's automatically wrong

That flag is ugly. Claim one culture and roll with it or be a Genius and make your own.

• Upvote 1

☾☆

Priest of Dio

º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¸ GOD EMPEROR DIO BRANDO¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¸ DIO BRANDO GOD EMPEROR¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

6m0xPQ1.gif

Good luck, I like your alliance theme

"LMFAO nazi Goomy is the best Goomy" - Kyubey  "Goomy is Perfect" - Ripper

Some sort of gov for CoS

#RollBezzers2k18

Good luck, my friend!

º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¸ GOD EMPEROR BIO DRANDO¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¸ BIO DRANDO GOD EMPEROR¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

Did you really name your alliance something which translates as "something which was insignificant and went unnoticed"? Because that is literally how praetereo is used in Latin. I guess this was supposed to be a Pretorian reference?

"Praeteritum" translates directly as "the past." It is representative of the classical civilizations theme, both because it is Latin and because of its meaning. I used the word because I knew it from my Latin class this past year.

That flag is ugly. Claim one culture and roll with it or be a Genius and make your own.

Haha - like I said, this flag may or may not be used. We didn't have much time to give everyone a chance to make their own flags to suggest. I stuck this one on the thread because it's the only potential flag we have at the moment.

Good luck to you!

Roma Victor o/

Gratias tibi, amicus Belisarius. :)

You have a pleasant writing style. Good luck!

I appreciate that. Especially because I wrote it from 11 PM to 1 AM, haha.

That was nicely written and an interesting read. Good luck with your alliance!

/o

Thank you! o7

Good luck, I like your alliance theme

Thank you.

The Republic of Stainsperg officially reconizes this alliance. Good luck!

Thank you Finest. ^_^

Good luck, my friend!

Danke Hugo!

• Upvote 1

Good luck in the future. 

Thank you Impero, especially for the assistance. o7

Best of luck in your current endeavors. Oh, and do modify your flag. It's much too 'busy'. Remove the tiny symbols and itv would be much better.

Thanks. We'll get around to working on the flag - it will probably be a while until we buy credits for a custom flag anyhow.

business-cat-meme-generator-i-find-your-

I'll let you know when I'm in the studio again, haha. But in the meantime I recommend Armoured Skeptic on YouTube.