FOFA - Year in Review

Nicklas

(Editor's note: It has been a little over a year in game time since FOFA was founded, hence the title)

MOUNTAIN VIEW, GOOGLESTAN (Associated Press) -- A little island nation with a big idea is transforming the world of international sport.  Googlestan, an island in the Carribean that is home of the Fédération Orbis de Football Association (FOFA), recently held a briefing for corporate sponsors as well as the media to mark the one-year anniversary of the founding of the organization.  

FOFA is the governing body for international football (or as some know it, soccer) in Orbis.  Teams play friendly matches daily, with the best three teams each day receiving a daily payout.  In only one year, the organization and its member teams have already formed their own history -- memorable matches, storied rivalries, and the first World Champion.

The crown jewel of FOFA's inaugural year was World Cup I, which was hosted in spectacular fashion by Phintopia.  20 member states took part, and Empire of Armenia captured the title with a thrilling win over Hero-Shima, capping a spectacular rags-to-riches run.

"I think, when you look at the Armenians winning it all, it really shows just how much every team has a chance to win in our game," said Nicklas, Chief Executive of Googlestan as well as Commissioner of FOFA.

"This is an equalizer in our world.  Smaller nations like Desolum (currently #4) can stand on the same pitch as massive ones like Phintopia (#12) and the German Empire (#15)."

The top teams have a decent mix of nations that have poured a lot of financial backing into their national sides, as well as teams that have doggedly climbed up the ranks and earned ratings points through underdog victories.

Resvernas (#1) and Liber (#5) are near the top of the table due in large part to their superior training facilities and coaching staffs.  There are also nations like Rage (#6), which is the smallest-spending nation to ever win #1, having spent less than $400,000 total on the national team.

So, what are the plans for year two?

"Definitely a second World Cup," said Nicklas. "This time, on a bigger scale. 32 teams, with bigger prizes for the winners.  We want to push the envelope."  

Right now, FOFA has 22 members, so there are 10 more signups to go before we see another World Cup.

"I have waived the signup fee for new teams for this week," added Nicklas.  "I want the world to embrace our game, and the history and culture of sport that we are creating here in our world."  

Nicklas encouraged world leaders to reach out to him directly with any questions, and to consider registering their nations in FOFA so that they can compete on the world's biggest sporting stage.  

Edited by Nicklas
  • Upvote 4

What does Googlestan plan to celebrate the 1st Founding Anniversary of FOFA?

Haven't given it much thought yet, but a second WC is definitely on the list, as well as some kind of AA tournament if interest is there and there is a good format.

I guess it is the only nation that can be grow that fast because of the investment for the game, and he provides the service mainly/

All of my daily revenue goes back into the prizes. I pull 900k per day and spend just about all of it on the prizes.  The money from upgrades goes into a bigger reserve for events like the World Cup.

I do grow my nation on occasion, but mostly to increase revenue so that I can raise prize money payouts.  The more daily revenue that Googlestan makes, the more money can be paid out to FOFA members.  I also maintain a modest military component to deter would-be raiders.