Announcment Regarding Mensa HQ

Impero

Ilu Conroy

Someone has to think about PR lol, but honestly Mensa fared better than I thought they would. 

LordRahl2, on 10 Jul 2015 - 5:53 PM, said: "Imagine it. Lets say that Sheepy had an idea that was at lest questionable. As a way out there idea lets say he thought about adding T-Rexs to the game in some way." "As you know this is hypothetical since Sheepy has never considered adding T-Rexs to the game."

Generally an attack with NoCB, or no credible CB usually occurs when one side is part of an alliance system that comprises the majority of the world system, where treaties can be called upon and consent can be manufactured to secure an attack even without a real CB. As far as I could tell, what happened was that despite having significant military and political heft, Mensa, SK, and Guardian did not make sure to secure political support from allies even in the event of a CB-less attack, and consequently ended up getting dogpiled by over 3 times their number, with alliances that could have been neutral or swing jumping in to punch in their faces.

That's why people claim this is amateur hour; no-one competent would have committed to this, and in this way. On the other hand, in a case where the attacker can get away with a CB-less attack, the attacker simply won't get punished for the CB-less attack, except if it's done retroactively after future wars.

So punishing Mensa et al for attacking without a CB has no real deterrent effect because no one will attack without a CB except in cases where it is unlikely that they will lose. It's an extreme tactic, but a valid one in some circumstances.

Generally an attack with NoCB, or no credible CB usually occurs when one side is part of an alliance system that comprises the majority of the world system, where treaties can be called upon and consent can be manufactured to secure an attack even without a real CB. As far as I could tell, what happened was that despite having significant military and political heft, Mensa, SK, and Guardian did not make sure to secure political support from allies even in the event of a CB-less attack, and consequently ended up getting dogpiled by over 3 times their number, with alliances that could have been neutral or swing jumping in to punch in their faces.

That's why people claim this is amateur hour; no-one competent would have committed to this, and in this way. On the other hand, in a case where the attacker can get away with a CB-less attack, the attacker simply won't get punished for the CB-less attack, except if it's done retroactively after future wars.

So punishing Mensa et al for attacking without a CB has no real deterrent effect because no one will attack without a CB except in cases where it is unlikely that they will lose. It's an extreme tactic, but a valid one in some circumstances.

Mmm... They actually did their homework, but poorly.  Rose was initially fighting WITH them, but attacked them a la Tenages.  The rest of the people who attacked them were alliances that had had to endure an Orbis the LAST time Guardian and SK won a large war against their opponents and, for better or for worse; correct or incorrect, went "No, sir." more or less simultaneously.

There were people with axes to grind.

There were people who just wanted to see the erstwhile top dogs get knocked down a peg.  It was a mish mash.

Idk if anyone involved had a grudge against Mensa, but people definitely didn't, like, NOT want to hit them.

Edited by Ashland

aUel2fG.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[10:47] you used to be the voice of irc

Seriously, this is a internet browser game, the 'I'm bored' CB is perfectly valid.  Everything else is just fluff, often worded to make people feel justified in what they do.  You are not real leaders in charge of real people,  there is no blood upon anyones hands, it's a bunch of pixels.  'I'm attacking you because...' is as valid a CB as one constructed with fancy reasoning.

Build it up, to smash it down is pretty much the essence of these type of games. 

• Upvote 1

☾☆

Warrior of Dio

Seriously, this is a internet browser game, the 'I'm bored' CB is perfectly valid.  Everything else is just fluff, often worded to make people feel justified in what they do.  You are not real leaders in charge of real people,  there is no blood upon anyones hands, it's a bunch of pixels.  'I'm attacking you because...' is as valid a CB as one constructed with fancy reasoning.

Build it up, to smash it down is pretty much the essence of these type of games. 

Not every alliance's leader funnels hundreds of dollars into their AA every month.  We can't ALL get our pixels back so cheaply.  Just saying.  But yeah, you're right.  You don't need a CB.  But if you don't have one, don't be surprised when what happened to you happens.  Basically.

aUel2fG.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[10:47] you used to be the voice of irc

Not every alliance's leader funnels hundreds of dollars into their AA every month. We can't ALL get our pixels back so cheaply. Just saying. But yeah, you're right. You don't need a CB. But if you don't have one, don't be surprised when what happened to you happens. Basically.

Pfeiffer does what now? I wish I had insights like yours into things I am clueless about.

-signature removed for rules violation-

Not every alliance's leader funnels hundreds of dollars into their AA every month.  We can't ALL get our pixels back so cheaply.  Just saying.  But yeah, you're right.  You don't need a CB.  But if you don't have one, don't be surprised when what happened to you happens.  Basically.

I agree with you that war in this game is very costly, even moreso if you don't have friends or a decent alliance to help you out.  War is part of the game everyone can join in on, the politics side of the game is played by a handful of people in comparison.  If I hadn't come with a group of guys I knew beforehand, I would have left this game a long time ago.  For the average joe, it's boring as hell. 

It'll happen to most alliances at some point in time anyway, so it never comes as a surprise.  Most wars between top alliances basically come down to one thing, one side being afraid of the power of the other one and wanting to curb that power.  Which, for any alliance is a perfectly valid CB.

☾☆

Warrior of Dio

Mensa HQ were a quality opponent and they made a solid display in the defense of their alliance and allies for their larger size. Typically larger alliances tend to be somewhat disorganized and partly inactive but I found this to be the opposite of the case in my engagements against them so kudos for that.

Best of luck rebuilding. o7

It was a good fight Mensa. I didn't have too much interaction with your members during the war like the others seem to have did unfortunately. But I've certainly learned a great deal out of this.

They are real leaders and they do lead real people, we are real people playing this game and if you lead an alliance you are a real leader, maybe not the leader of a country or anything but it does take leadership skills to run an effective alliance.

209cb3ddfb36e63567a77320a26faeb6.png

Mensa did pretty damn good in this war

o/

Its because we did not help.  :P

"WHEN THE RICH WAGE WAR, ITS THE POOR WHO DIE"

"IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE ME AT MY WORST,YOU CAN'T HANDLE ME AT MY BEST"

They are real leaders and they do lead real people, we are real people playing this game and if you lead an alliance you are a real leader, maybe not the leader of a country or anything but it does take leadership skills to run an effective alliance.

I think he means your nation (the pixels you see when you log in) is not made up of real people and I am sure we all agree that leading meta alliances requires some level of leadership and responsibility.

• Upvote 1

-signature removed for rules violation-

The name of the game is Politics and War. I'd say the politics part is pretty important, it's a simple concept.

• Upvote 1

I think he means your nation (the pixels you see when you log in) is not made up of real people and I am sure we all agree that leading meta alliances requires some level of leadership and responsibility.

Well I agree with that :P

And unlike another game I won't mention it does not take like a year to rebuild lol

The name of the game is Politics and War. I'd say the politics part is pretty important, it's a simple concept.

A small group of people are the ones playing any meaningful 'politics', the rest of us, the much larger majority, we are just the sheep that follow them and the cows they milk.  If you get your kicks out of role playing a politican, more power to you, but you can pretty much affix 'Politics' to any of the browser games, Politics and Travian, Tribal 'Politics' Wars, etc etc.  The political side of this game is no different to those two browser games.  Do people come up with CB's in those games other then, 'they are getting too powerful, we should chop em down a bit, so we are more powerful'?  This game is no different, otherwise Sheepy wouldn't have focused it purely on the war side of the fence.

☾☆

Warrior of Dio

If we ever attack someone for literally no reason, preemptively, and cause hundreds of millions on damage because we think we run the game like SK, Guardian, and Mensa did, then absolutely.

This isn't kindergarten, everyone doesn't get a pat on the back and a participation award then go out for ice cream afterwards. People have to take responsibility for their actions.

I always thought this was a game for kids like me. now it looks like adults with no life take this very serious. This is proof that the world is going from okay to worse. seriously games are for kids to have fun, not for adults to waste money and time on. don't you have a family to take care off.  :huh:

Edited by LordMane611

"WHEN THE RICH WAGE WAR, ITS THE POOR WHO DIE"

"IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE ME AT MY WORST,YOU CAN'T HANDLE ME AT MY BEST"

I always thought this was a game for kids like me. now it looks like adults with no life take this very serious. This is proof that the world is going from okay to worse. seriously games are for kids to have fun, not for adults to waste money and time on. don't you have a family to take care off.  :huh:

Wow, offensive much? Adults like to have fun as well, probably more than kids since adults have lots of issues to deal with IRL so a fun game can really help at the end of a long day.

• Upvote 1

Seriously, this is a internet browser game, the 'I'm bored' CB is perfectly valid. Everything else is just fluff, often worded to make people feel justified in what they do. You are not real leaders in charge of real people, there is no blood upon anyones hands, it's a bunch of pixels. 'I'm attacking you because...' is as valid a CB as one constructed with fancy reasoning.

You clearly don't have enough experience with nation simulation games. I have been in 4 of these type of games and the culture and attitude has been more or less the same. Other than being a pixel burning simulator, the politics and PR component in these types of worlds are equally just as important.

Sure you can go ahead with the "lol im bored" CB every war but expect it to bite you back in the ass as you get stomped at a 4:1 ratio every time and create rivals who will take every chance they get to ensure you stay beaten up on the ground. This is how these games work and it has been that way for as long as I can remember. Different worlds, same rules.

aphelion3_zpsonpnqy10.png

A small group of people are the ones playing any meaningful 'politics', the rest of us, the much larger majority, we are just the sheep that follow them and the cows they milk. If you get your kicks out of role playing a politican, more power to you, but you can pretty much affix 'Politics' to any of the browser games, Politics and Travian, Tribal 'Politics' Wars, etc etc. The political side of this game is no different to those two browser games. Do people come up with CB's in those games other then, 'they are getting too powerful, we should chop em down a bit, so we are more powerful'? This game is no different, otherwise Sheepy wouldn't have focused it purely on the war side of the fence.

Lol

Lxr4VfE.png