5/3/2015 - Issues with Generated Money

Alex

I'm happy to announce that this issue has been addressed.

First, the bugged money has been all but entirely removed from the game. I looked at all instances where it was generated, through trades, and followed it through expenditures, trades, and bank activity. I've removed cities that were purchased with exploit money, and removed the money sitting around in alliance banks and nation inventories. Things are close enough to normal that any extra market stimulation from inflated resource prices is pretty negligible.

Second, I've reset one offender and banned another. One player received an obscenely large amount of bugged money, though he did not generate it himself. For failing to report it, and attempting to use it, his nation was reset. The other player, the one who found the bug, and instead of reporting it abused it, has been banned and removed from the game.

Third, the bug has been found and fixed. I take full responsibility, as the game's programmer, for this vulnerability in the code. I will continue to revise and enhance the code behind the game to make sure that something like this does not happen again in the future.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as I got this matter resolved. The market is now back online, and things can go back to (more or less) normal. :)

First, the bugged money has been all but entirely removed from the game. I looked at all instances where it was generated, through trades, and followed it through expenditures, trades, and bank activity. I've removed cities that were purchased with exploit money, and removed the money sitting around in alliance banks and nation inventories. Things are close enough to normal that any extra market stimulation from inflated resource prices is pretty negligible.

Second, I've reset one offender and banned another. One player received an obscenely large amount of bugged money, though he did not generate it himself. For failing to report it, and attempting to use it, his nation was reset. The other player, the one who found the bug, and instead of reporting it abused it, has been banned and removed from the game.

Third, the bug has been found and fixed. I take full responsibility, as the game's programmer, for this vulnerability in the code. I will continue to revise and enhance the code behind the game to make sure that something like this does not happen again in the future.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as I got this matter resolved. The market is now back online, and things can go back to (more or less) normal. :)

So is the bug that caused this actually fixed?

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

<Jroc> I heard \ is an anagram of cocaine
<\> I can't be rearranged into a line, I already am a line.

--Foxburo Wiki--

You can refund all my donations back to my RL bank account i thought dude might have been buying for on behalf alliance from the open market this is bull i had a really good resource stockpile prior to the said trade as evidenced by the the amount of uranium i had on hand to start. So i get reset for soneone acceoting a global trade offer

You can refund all my donations back to my RL bank account i thought dude might have been buying for on behalf alliance from the open market this is bull i had a really good resource stockpile prior to the said trade as evidenced by the the amount of uranium i had on hand to start. So i get reset for soneone acceoting a global trade offer

As your colleague Samwise mentioned, no takebacksies. That's not how donations work.

You do have recourse, but that's a trolling type of recourse, you won't get your money back, and I won't tell you what it is.

Wrong. Banning should be avoided at all costs and used minimally because you do not want to create an increasing population of ban evaders. I've been there, done that, I've shook hands with quite a few of them.

After all, once you're banned, what can the game administration do to you? It's sort of like the death penalty, except you get free respawns in this game. I will admit that in a certain game, I have been banned over 30 different times within 4 months (actually, I believe the first time after I was banned I made 80 different rerolls and had them all PM the game administration). I never wanted to play that game in the first place, but I caused quite a headache for the game administration. When you're banned / ban evading the administrators are no longer a problem to you, but instead you're a problem to the game administrator.

Essentially, banning is more useful as a threat than as an actual punishment.

You sound like a jerk and I'm not sure why we should listen to your opinion on banning and cheating. 

STFU, dude. You're lucky you aren't banned. You used the exploit money (which you knew was an exploit) to buy shit tons of resources and send money to your allies. You actively attempted to cheat, got busted, and now you're trying to play victim? 

I call bullshit.

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

<Jroc> I heard \ is an anagram of cocaine
<\> I can't be rearranged into a line, I already am a line.

--Foxburo Wiki--

One player received an obscenely large amount of bugged money, though he did not generate it himself. For failing to report it, and attempting to use it, his nation was reset.

Next time you receive a large amount of money from a single nation, question it first. Especially when it came from a nation that was like barely a month old. If it's legit, then go on a spending spree.

It's called common sense.

sig_cybernations.PNG.8d49a01423f488a0f1b846927f5acc7e.PNG

You sound like a jerk and I'm not sure why we should listen to your opinion on banning and cheating. 

Then don't.  I am telling you from experience how it works and how it doesn't work. I have met cheaters who have managed to get away with cheating for years, retiring without ever getting caught. I have met ban evaders who have operated multis and gotten away with both cheating and ban evading up to retirement, and I know people who are cheating and still getting away with it. I have thought long and hard on what works and what does not. If you don't want to listen, well, it's your game, actually, no, it's Sheepy's, and he can do whatever he wants.

Also, foxfire, your current nation dates to 2013 in (That terrible game that is totally irrelevant and I shouldn&#39;t be bringing it up anyways). Since I've been here forever and have stats from 2011, alongside Samus' lyricalz, care to give me your old account name?

Holy &#33;@#&#036;....

An ADMIN of a game posting INTELLIGENT updates. Sheepy you just went up a few notches in my book

• Upvote 4

Did we not have to agree to terms such as no exploiting glitches etc when we signed up for this game?

and who got rolled back/ banned exactly?

There was 

-ford

-Pot 

who's the third?

Edited by Neo-Nexus

8742143.png?170

Concilium Populusque Mandalórus ("The Council and the People of Mandalore")

: Carter and me have nukes, and Saxplayer is just sassy

Did we not have to agree to terms such as no exploiting glitches etc when we signed up for this game?

and who got rolled back exactly?

There was 

-ford

-Pot 

who's the third?

No.

Politics & War Terms and Conditions ("Agreement")
This Agreement was last modified on April 15, 2014.

Please read these Terms and Conditions ("Agreement", "Terms and Conditions") carefully before using https://politicsandwar.com("the Site") operated by Politics & War ("us", "we", or "our"). This Agreement sets forth the legally binding terms and conditions for your use of the Site at https://politicsandwar.com.
By accessing or using the Site in any manner, including, but not limited to, visiting or browsing the Site or contributing content or other materials to the Site, you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions. Capitalized terms are defined in this Agreement.

Intellectual Property

The Site and its original content, features and functionality are owned by Politics & War and are protected by international copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret and other intellectual property or proprietary rights laws.

Termination

We may terminate your access to the Site, without cause or notice, which may result in the forfeiture and destruction of all information associated with you. All provisions of this Agreement that by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity, and limitations of liability.

Links To Other Sites

Our Site may contain links to third-party sites that are not owned or controlled by Politics & War.
Politics & War has no control over, and assumes no responsibility for, the content, privacy policies, or practices of any third party sites or services. We strongly advise you to read the terms and conditions and privacy policy of any third-party site that you visit.

Governing Law

This Agreement (and any further rules, polices, or guidelines incorporated by reference) shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of Montana, United States, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law.

Changes To This Agreement

We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to modify or replace these Terms and Conditions by posting the updated terms on the Site. Your continued use of the Site after any such changes constitutes your acceptance of the new Terms and Conditions.
Please review this Agreement periodically for changes. If you do not agree to any of this Agreement or any changes to this Agreement, do not use, access or continue to access the Site or discontinue any use of the Site immediately.
Published and generated with permission from www.TermsFeed.com.

Contact Us

If you have any questions about this Agreement, please contact us via [email protected].

Quote isn't working, just read the following section:

The rules for gameplay are relatively simple and easy to follow. Be smart, use common sense, and you won't have any issues.

In-game Communication

All forms of in-game communication, including but not limited to, messaging, war declaration reasons, alliance announcements, leader, city, or nation names, and nation and alliance descriptions must be appropriate. Vulgar language, mean comments, etc. are not allowed and will result in your nation receiving a strike.

Impersonation

Creating accounts or nations in an attempt to impersonate an administrator or staff member is a bannable offense.

Harassment

Using in-game communication to flame, bait, troll, or otherwise harass other players will result in your nation receiving a strike, or in severe instances your account being banned.

Multiple Nations on the Same Network

Each player is allowed to have one account and nation. Having multiple nations is a bannable violation.

Up to 2 nations are allowed to play on the same network, so long as they have signed up on different networks. Nations playing on the same network must keep all interaction at a minimum.

Trades sent on a network cannot be accepted by a nation on the same network.

Two nations on the same network are allowed to be in the same alliance, but they are not allowed to declare war on the same nation. Failure to follow this rule will result in a nation strike the first time, and a ban the second time.

Fairness in Trading & Banking

Prices and amounts in trades are generally at the player's discretion. In instances where trades and banks are used to funnel money and/or resources from one nation to another, where one nation has no intention to continue playing the game is a bannable offense.

War Slot & Espionage Filling

Declaring war on a nation without the intention of fighting them is punishable by a nation strike. You are not allowed to declare war on nations to prevent them from being attacked by other nations. This same rule applies with spies and espionage operations.

Failure to follow any of these rules will result in a punishment at the discretion of the game staff that includes but is not limited to: changing inappropriate names to something random (whether it be a nation, city, or leader name), sending a player a warning, resetting a player's nation, deleting a player's nation, or even banning them permanently from the game.

Thank you for reading and following the rules of Politics and War.

Technically speaking, neither Ford nor Pol Pot violated the ToS or the stated rules. There was an announcement stating that it was forbidden to exploit the bank bug, on pain of banning / deletion, but that's not the same as the ToS. They could have been legally removed based on the "we can do anything" segment of the ToS, however.

I've seen worse ToSes, of course. A certain game has a clause, clause 8, which indicates it is prohibited to log in to the server or start a global war. It's not enforced, of course, but that's what it literally says. Impero knows about it.

8.    By using this service you agree not to attempt to access our servers, protected or coded data. You agree to do nothing that interferes with the ability of other [excised] members to enjoy playing the game in accordance with its rules, or that increases our expense or difficulty in maintaining the service. You agree not use this website for any illegal purposes, and you will use it in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. You agree not to use this website in a way that may cause this website to be interrupted, damaged, rendered less efficient or such that the effectiveness or functionality of this website is in any way impaired.

Access server: log in, interfere with other members to enjoy playing the game in accordance with rules: raid, war, spy, stomp, in a way that way cause this website....: start a global war. 

That's my favorite TOS, anyways.

Edited by Inst

Holy !@#$....

An ADMIN of a game posting INTELLIGENT updates. Sheepy you just went up a few notches in my book

Pike and I do not always agree on things.  But this^.

-signature removed for rules violation-

ITT: Inst has surpassed all my criteria for complete retardation. I cannot in all honesty call him a troll. He must be a more advanced breed that we have not encountered before.

The Inst debate has given me increased respect for Fox Fire.  So that is a positive.

o7 Foxfire itt

• Upvote 2

-signature removed for rules violation-

ITT: Inst has surpassed all my criteria for complete retardation. I cannot in all honesty call him a troll. He must be a more advanced breed that we have not encountered before.

Trollololol?

Also, since the bug has been addressed, won't you tell us how he did it, sheepy?

Edited by Alice Lune
  • Upvote 1

Well, I'm happy. The nice thing I liked about P&W is that it was still pleasant in terms of being naive. When you end up facing serious sociopaths, as most games do in the long-term, you'll understand.

Anyways, age looks fondly upon youth's lack of experience, and today I'm gladly Cassandra.

Actually, I've seen multiple games destroyed by rampant cheating, so... this type of attitude and policy does not work in the long run. I don't expect you to listen anymore, so do what you want.