In-game Banner ads for politics

ELPINCHAZO

So I was thinking that one of the things aside from stats that could be used to generate some donations would be in game banner adds. Not advertising for things outside the game but AAs could use them from recruiting or propoganda. This could really help to spice up the game and maybe allow some AAs a way to distinguish themselves from the rest of the pack outside of the forum or wars.

I'd say have there be a limited number of slots that might include something like '4000 page views(i'm just making this up since i have no basis for typical page views over time)' . There could be a time limited auction for these spots that use tokens to bid with. While it might be easier logistically to set the duration based on time,this would prevent high demand in times of high player activity.

This might be one way to increase the demand for tokens.

any,this all might depend on simplifying some of the UI elements:

• score change graph could be a sparkline...it takes up WAY too much space
  • the Military strength chart should either be a much smaller bar plot or better a table.
  • the auto-generated view nation blurb should be collapsible and collapsed by default. If someone really cares to read it they will expand it and they only need to read it once.
  • The map should be hidden,it adds absolutely nothing to the game. Map should be viewable only when selecting location change.

Fix that and you might free up some space to get some donations.

• Upvote 6

• Administrators

So I was thinking that one of the things aside from stats that could be used to generate some donations would be in game banner adds. Not advertising for things outside the game but AAs could use them from recruiting or propoganda. This could really help to spice up the game and maybe allow some AAs a way to distinguish themselves from the rest of the pack outside of the forum or wars.

I'd say have there be a limited number of slots that might include something like '4000 page views(i'm just making this up since i have no basis for typical page views over time)' . There could be a time limited auction for these spots that use tokens to bid with. While it might be easier logistically to set the duration based on time,this would prevent high demand in times of high player activity.

This might be one way to increase the demand for tokens.

any,this all might depend on simplifying some of the UI elements:

• score change graph could be a sparkline...it takes up WAY too much space
  • the Military strength chart should either be a much smaller bar plot or better a table.
  • the auto-generated view nation blurb should be collapsible and collapsed by default. If someone really cares to read it they will expand it and they only need to read it once.
  • The map should be hidden,it adds absolutely nothing to the game. Map should be viewable only when selecting location change.

Fix that and you might free up some space to get some donations.

I like the idea, it'd be relatively simple to set up some place where players could post banners etc. that would show up for players for X amount of time or views. 

As for what's on the nation page, I'm pretty open to changing the score breakdown part to a bar chart but the rest of the stuff I think adds to the "roleplay" part of the game. The description, the map, etc. might not be particularly useful or interesting to you, but I think it adds a lot to the game for many players.

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

So maybe we differ in opinion on that,I think it might be worth taking a informal poll about those design pieces.

also PB mentioned a ticker for similar universal messages. I suggest checking out spritz for that as it will take up less space and just be kind of interesting http://www.spritzinc.com/

Edited by ELPINCHAZO

I would personally like to avoid any tickers, maybe have a block between the logo and the page title that's up to 300 characters long, and it has a ajax revolving announcement, if you will. Have maybe 3 announcements scrolling through every time you visit certain pages.

greene.png

Formerly known as Grealind of Resvernas (28 October 2014-29 August 2017) and Greene of Japan (29 August 2017-28 Septmber 2017)

7th Caretaker of Duat, the Deity Thoth

• Administrators

I was thinking some sort of image, that would probably have to be manually approved, like 750x50px that would just appear occasionally above the blue right column header on various pages. Pay per view, so maybe 1 credit is X thousand views. And maybe have it link you to an alliance page or w/e when you click it.

• Upvote 2

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I'm with you on this one, Hereno... I wasn't before, but now I am.

greene.png

Formerly known as Grealind of Resvernas (28 October 2014-29 August 2017) and Greene of Japan (29 August 2017-28 Septmber 2017)

Probably not since it's not redirecting anywhere off-site, though some programs allow you to block an image url from loading by right clicking on the image and selecting that option.

Edited by Princess Bubblegum
  • Upvote 1

I was thinking some sort of image, that would probably have to be manually approved, like 750x50px that would just appear occasionally above the blue right column header on various pages. Pay per view, so maybe 1 credit is X thousand views. And maybe have it link you to an alliance page or w/e when you click it.

Would GIFs be allowed? Flashing ads would be annoying. 

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

• Administrators

The whole image idea might be a bit impractical. What about just text? Limited to X amount of characters, perhaps allow a link.

I'd guess people would mostly want it for nations that aren't in an alliance to recruit, but perhaps it would be used for other purposes as well?

• Upvote 1

Forums Rules | Game Link

A game called ROBLOX does something similar to this, where you spend in-game currency on "bidding" for ads. The bidding itself doesn't guarantee you a certain number of views, but whatever percentage of the bid you have is what percentage of the time your ad will show up (and the ads run exactly 24hr)

For example, if I bid $10,000 ingame currency and Hereno bid $5,000, then my ad would show up 2/3 of the time and his would show up 1/3. The benefit to it is that during 'slow' times (when few people are on, like on a Wednesday or something compared to a Saturday), there are most likely less bids, so it should automatically mean you're getting about the same bang for your buck no matter what - unless someone's saved up for a long time and is running a major ad campaign, which clans in that game often did.

I think we could do something similar to that but with real money, and that would generate donations. Alternatively, we could use in-game currency and see how that works itself out (alliances might decide that the advertising is worth part of their warchest).

Also, if this happens we're going to want an admin panel of trusted users who could approve images, and a set of criteria for them. For example, requiring them to be in PNG format would be a good one (as that means no gifs and no compression), requiring them to not feature racism, maybe upholding a quality standard so that really, really bad ads aren't forced (but that last one is questionable because at that point we need to decide what qualifies as bad enough to be excluded)

Edited by Pax

<+JohnHarms> We need more feminists

Pax I think your suggestion is probably going to be the best, but I'd prefer it be text based only.

greene.png

These used to exist in eRepublik. They were much beloved by the player base until the admins took them away.

People would use them for all kinds of things - from recruiting for political parties and trying to drum up support for Presidential candidates to announce personal milestones or congratulate other players. A great system and a positive path for monetization. 

I'm not sure how I feel about text-only.

Pros:

• Less Intrusive
  • Much harder to mess up
  • Doesn't require approval as long as there's a filter.

Cons:

• Much less effective
  • Much less fun for alliances to make
  • Low potential for improvement (there's not a ton you can do to improve a text ad, but high level graphic design is a huge difference from amateur stuff)
  • Very solid chance that they would do literally nothing.
Edited by Pax

If you don't think you've seen them, they're working as intended.

That's probably true but still nothing comes to mind. Unless you just mean those ads that pop up at the top of google searches, but that hardly seems like something that would work for PNW.

These sound like they work a lot more subtly, and I'm not sure how that will work for this since the people paying for the ads will want results instantly rather than over time.

That's probably true but still nothing comes to mind. Unless you just mean those ads that pop up at the top of google searches, but that hardly seems like something that would work for PNW.

These sound like they work a lot more subtly, and I'm not sure how that will work for this since the people paying for the ads will want results instantly rather than over time.

the ads at the top of searches is exactly what he means in terms of all text adverts.

T7Vrilp.png

• Administrators

So how about this:

We introduce the ability to make text ads. These little text ads will show up above the right column (main content part of the page). 

Every time a page is viewed, there will be a 50% chance that an ad is displayed. If one is displayed, every ad in the DB that's currently running will have an equal chance of being selected. Every time your ad is viewed, a view is added so you can have an idea of how many times it's been displayed.

Ads will be limited to 500 characters, with some BB code enabled. So bold, italics, underlining, and URLs will be enabled in these ads.

You can purchase an ad for 1 credit, or $1,000,000, and they last for 72 turns, or 6 days. You'll have a little panel where you can see the ads that you've bought, how much time they have left, and how many views they have.

Sound alright to you guys?

EDIT: Here's an example of how such an advertisement might look. Nothing too big (maybe 500 characters is too much; 250 would probably suffice)

LAwCuyK.png

Forums Rules | Game Link

Noice. Do it.

"That ain't Cologne, that's the smell of success."

17:00 <•Sheepy> I don't want you to leave the game

19:20 <•Pubstomber>:

Man, I really wish Rose had allied BoC a couple months ago when we had the chance instead of picking Vanguard.

Oh hey, I remember saying this should be added a long time ago, allow images though. Have them be manually checked :v

Edit: I also call dibs on first ad

Edited by underlordgc

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

• Administrators

Oh hey, I remember saying this should be added a long time ago, allow images though. Have them be manually checked :v

Manually checking all images would be way, way too much of a hassle.

What about pricing? Does that seem fair? I want it to be equivalent to 1 credit, but I thought $1,000,000 would be a reasonable option too, yeah?

Forums Rules | Game Link