Moderation Warning Clarification

Aksel

I am sure there is absolutely no point in my time and effort I'm about to put into this post, but I honestly feel as though the moderation of this forum is wrong in some aspects. I took time to look through other moderation appeals and questions and although I can see both sides of the issues - they seem to boil down to some sort of wrong doing due to technicality. I do realize that moderators here will probably boil down this post into some wrong doing due to a technicality - but let me just get some clarification on this. 

Here goes. 

I just received a warning in the "Name the war" thread created by Kastor in the Orbis Central forum. I guess the rules go that you can't quote somebody and not provide "further content" into a thread, which I can agree with - when the thread is actually serious and following an IC type of format. 

This thread is basically a random thread designed to get names for a war and figure out which name is best for the war. I simply quoted a post that I thought was a good name to show my support for the name and get it counted. 

See below. 

This Thread:

http://politicsandwar.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5329-name-the-war/

This Post:

http://politicsandwar.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5329-name-the-war/?p=82917

From the moderation logic - it would have been acceptable for me to physically type in the same exact thing I quoted instead of just quoting it? Or would that have been considered spam as well? I honestly do not see the deal in giving me a warning for simply quoting a name in support of it - when if I just typed it in, it would have been the same exact response minus the quote tags. 

I don't ever complain about things like this, I could care less - but I feel it is worth saying something at least. 

Moderate the real topics, the ones that need the moderation. Naming a war thread in Orbis Central...really? Does that need to be moderated and do I really need to be issued a warn here?

Edited by The Speaker
  • Upvote 1

Simply put, many of the Mensa HQ people who took up issue with us mods decided to comb through existing threads and report posts that don't explicitly meet the rules (we got more than 20, including posts in the spam and games area). Now these reports cannot be ignored and have to be followed up. I am of the mind that it is much better to be lenient and only start warning if the posts really warrant it and use some human judgement rather than blanket warning, however if it is reported then it must be followed up.

For your info,what you should have done is just clicked the 'like this' button on the post instead of quoting it.

Not that I knew of this, but honestly Baboon?  Naming out people ( Or an alliance ) who report?  Now I'm starting to think that your issue with some Mensa HQ members is on a personal level, rather than a moderation level.

First part of your reply was unnecessary, unless you are meant to tell people who reported who when asked.

Too much stuff going back and forth between moderation and some members of Mensa HQ.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

90% of the time posts like that would not be reported,I was simply identifying the reason that they were. Not calling anyone our per se, just explaining why more people than usual may have received warns today, and that it is very likely it won't continue for long.

Not calling anyone our per se, just explaining why more people than usual may have received warns today.

Simply put, many of the Mensa HQ people who took up issue with us mods decided to comb through existing threads and report posts that don't explicitly meet the rules (we got more than 20

I wouldn't have a issue with your explanation, if anybody was actually NOT called out, but you did call people out.  I understand that things are stressful at the moment on both sides here, but this isn't going to make it any better.  We're trying to keep things calm on our side.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not that I knew of this, but honestly Baboon?  Naming out people ( Or an alliance ) who report?  Now I'm starting to think that your issue with some Mensa HQ members is on a personal level, rather than a moderation level.

First part of your reply was unnecessary, unless you are meant to tell people who reported who when asked.

Too much stuff going back and forth between moderation and some members of Mensa HQ.

The fact you and your alliance are being dicks to the moderation team does more to hurt your image than anything Baboon could ever do.  Your alliance claims that the mod team are "hurting" the game, yet you guys post nothing but spam and poison and wonder why you get warned.

lol. 

Good luck with PW. You'll need it.

• Upvote 3

The fact you and your alliance are being dicks to the moderation team does more to hurt your image than anything Baboon could ever do.  Your alliance claims that the mod team are "hurting" the game, yet you guys post nothing but spam and poison and wonder why you get warned.

lol. 

Good luck with PW. You'll need it.

You obviously missed the point here.  It's just a game, I don't feel threatened in any way and could honestly care less what occurs within the game.

We're also "not wondering" why we got warned.  Those that got warned knew exactly why they got warned.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Simply put, many of the Mensa HQ people who took up issue with us mods decided to comb through existing threads and report posts that don't explicitly meet the rules (we got more than 20, including posts in the spam and games area). Now these reports cannot be ignored and have to be followed up. I am of the mind that it is much better to be lenient and only start warning if the posts really warrant it and use some human judgement rather than blanket warning, however if it is reported then it must be followed up.

For your info,what you should have done is just clicked the 'like this' button on the post instead of quoting it.

I absolutely do not agree with the warning or your reply here, but I do thank you for replying and offering up some type...clarification. 

I wouldn't have a issue with your explanation, if anybody was actually NOT called out, but you did call people out.  I understand that things are stressful at the moment on both sides here, but this isn't going to make it any better.  We're trying to keep things calm on our side.

He did nothing that wasn't true.

It Mensa HQ members spamming the report center.

It is Mensa HQ trying to cause disruption within the moderation.

It is Mensa HQ that think they're above the rules.

If you dislike the way we approach this. Then prove us different and stop with the spam & consistent trolling. Nobody has a vendetta against you or your alliance Albeit you seem to think we do.

Ok, so the point isn't clear.  What I'm saying is that by naming out anybody who reports, whether it be a individual or an alliance, is only going to stir up more drama.  I'm trying to steer clear from the whole issue of some members of Mensa HQ/moderation here.

For example:

If I go, "Hey Skynet, why did I get a warning on this post?"

And you go, "Hey Buorhann, Ragnar reported your post and we have to follow it up."

Now I'm going to have issues with Ragnar here, when I shouldn't even have known who reported my post.  Understand?

However, if this is meant to be - telling people who reports their posts - then, ok, I'll just kindly shut up about it.

Edited by Buorhann
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Well I personally have no issue with Mensa HQ

My question was basically answered - unjust in all ways - but still answered, Moderation can feel free to lock this thread with my permissions. 

Moderators off topic/hijacking thread/not providing content to the OP - wheres your warn?

Edited by The Speaker
  • Upvote 1

Thank you, Speaker.  Sorry to hijack your thread.  I'm just trying make a point to avoid future drama.  You may not have a issue with Mensa HQ, but who's to say that someone else in the future may want clarification on a warning and a moderator tells them who reported it?  Never know how that person may react.  It could very well make a situation even worse, and that's what I'm hoping to avoid.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Sorry, but judging by the actions of the mods in the thread that started everything this is not true. Had the Mods showed leiency in that case the drawings would have died off rather quickly and all of this could've been avoided.

I fully agree with the OP, the way these rules are written is simply too restrictve and allows for a great deal of harmless posts to be categorized as spam and grounds for warnings. I'm glad the mods are at least making the effort to be consistent though.

º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¸ GOD EMPEROR DIO BRANDO¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¸ DIO BRANDO GOD EMPEROR¨°º¤ø„¸

¨°º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸

It's ridiculous to to try and pass the blame on to Mensa.

If rules were broken, they're broken regardless of whether or not someone reported them.  Any good moderator on a forum of this size would be monitoring all threads anyway and handing out warnings where they are needed.  An offence doesn't become more of an offence because someone reported it.  Common sense should always be applied.

The overall approach here seems extremely heavy handed and that's coming from someone who was thought to be a fairly heavy handed forum admin/game mod in another game.

And posts like this actually show that you do have a Vendetta against Mensa HQ:

He did nothing that wasn't true.

It Mensa HQ members spamming the report center.

It is Mensa HQ trying to cause disruption within the moderation.

It is Mensa HQ that think they're above the rules.

If you dislike the way we approach this. Then prove us different and stop with the spam & consistent trolling. Nobody has a vendetta against you or your alliance Albeit you seem to think we do.

Putting a line to the contrary at the bottom doesn't take away from the content above it.  As people with a position of authority, you guys should be able to look at things objectively and rise above anything petty like reporting or celebrating.

Ask yourselves why the forum rules are in place and what they are there to achieve.  Did celebratory posts detract from the thread where this issue started?  Is the additional forum activity brought by Mensa such a bad thing?  Did anything happen that could have caused offence or created any trouble for anyone?  What has been achieved by the barrage of warnings?  From what I can see, all you've done is annoy a whole group of new, active players without good reason.  This seems more about power and control than about making the community a safe and entertaining place that people want to visit.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, but judging by the actions of the mods in the thread that started everything this is not true. Had the Mods showed leiency in that case the drawings would have died off rather quickly and all of this could've been avoided.

I fully agree with the OP, the way these rules are written is simply too restrictve and allows for a great deal of harmless posts to be categorized as spam and grounds for warnings. I'm glad the mods are at least making the effort to be consistent though.

We did show leniency in allowing it to happen multiple other times in other threads, and also allowing the post in question to be reposted multiple times before stepping in. That IS leniency on a rule, if we were being strict, it would have been stopped after the very first re-post. 

It's ridiculous to to try and pass the blame on to Mensa.

If rules were broken, they're broken regardless of whether or not someone reported them.  Any good moderator on a forum of this size would be monitoring all threads anyway and handing out warnings where they are needed.  An offence doesn't become more of an offence because someone reported it.  Common sense should always be applied.

The overall approach here seems extremely heavy handed and that's coming from someone who was thought to be a fairly heavy handed forum admin/game mod in another game.

And posts like this actually show that you do have a Vendetta against Mensa HQ:

Putting a line to the contrary at the bottom doesn't take away from the content above it.  As people with a position of authority, you guys should be able to look at things objectively and rise above anything petty like reporting or celebrating.

Ask yourselves why the forum rules are in place and what they are there to achieve.  Did celebratory posts detract from the thread where this issue started?  Is the additional forum activity brought by Mensa such a bad thing?  Did anything happen that could have caused offence or created any trouble for anyone?  What has been achieved by the barrage of warnings?  From what I can see, all you've done is annoy a whole group of new, active players without good reason.  This seems more about power and control than about making the community a safe and entertaining place that people want to visit.

Bolded the part where the answer is yes.

Thread locked as the original discussion point is complete.