You in 2000BC

Alice Lune

I'm glad you mentioned soap. That would be far more important than weapons.

I'd find myself surrounded by delicious bison, too. Without horses, traps would be the best way to get them.

all you'd have to do is dig a mini tank trap really and correl the animal into it (Anyone who's worked with cattle knows how to do this). Bison are bovines too, their nervous system is similar. 

I'd die from smallpox

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

I will say this thread is abit biased, it doesn't allow you to take any survival tools with you on your trip to the past. 

Let's just say that this isn't about you happily hopping back to the past on a time machine like it's a previously prepared picnic. It just so happens that God, or gods or aliens or a random nutjob with a phd in theoretical temporal physics simply does it because they can, for the kicks. You have no say in whether or not you do go, you're only there because it amuses them to see you suffering without modern tools to assist you.

Yeah, that's pretty much it :D

have you ever worked around cattle? like milking?

if so you're exposed to cowpox and are immune. the smallpox vaccine is actually made from cowpox. 

Don't machines milk cows these days? Where do you live if people are milking cows by hand? Somalia?

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Don't machines milk cows these days? Where do you live if people are milking cows by hand? Somalia?

Factory farms use robo-milkers, many family farms and some dairies still hand milk, there's actually a movement to abolish robo-milkers.

robo-milkers hurt the cows.  hand milking allows you to pull a small sample first and inspect the milk aswell as the teet. 

robo-milkers can irritate the teet and cause infections. 

Edited by Six of Ten

Factory farms use robo-milkers, many family farms and some dairies still hand milk, there's actually a movement to abolish robo-milkers.

robo-milkers hurt the cows.  hand milking allows you to pull a small sample first and inspect the milk aswell as the teet. 

robo-milkers can irritate the teet and cause infections. 

Everyone knows infections should end in death

Would probably bring down steak prices to boot, win-win

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

I will say this thread is abit biased, it doesn't allow you to take any survival tools with you on your trip to the past. 

Best way to do it, TBQH.

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

<Jroc> I heard \ is an anagram of cocaine
<\> I can't be rearranged into a line, I already am a line.

--Foxburo Wiki--

Alright! Wait. Do backpacks count? I have mine on right now. 

If so, then here is a quick inventory. 

• Textbooks (x3)
  • Lighter (x1)
  • Metal ruler sharpened into a knife (x1)
  • Swiss army knife (x1)
  • Pens, pencils, etc (over 20)
  • Spare clothes (x1 shirt, x1 shorts) 
  • Lunch 
  • Flashlight
  • Laser pointer
  • Photo ID

The bolded stuff is what I have on me (not my backpack). 

Basically, fire, water, food, then shelter. I'd be set. If I had like a five second warning, I could even have a 12 gage (Benelli Ethos), gun cleaning kit, and exactly 300 shells. 

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

• Textbooks (x3)
  • Lighter (x1)
  • Swiss army knife (x1)
  • Lunch 
  • Flashlight
  • Laser pointer
  • Photo ID

Basically, fire, water, food, then shelter. I'd be set. If I had like a five second warning, I could even have a 12 gage (Benelli Ethos), gun cleaning kit, and exactly 300 shells. 

Yes, if that's what you have with you right now, backpacks do count. We have someone bringing his dog, anyway. No 5 second warning, it's a grab and toss.

I'd get dropped smack in the middle of sioux country,I'd probably find a way to depose the local chief and take over the tribe, use the diseases I carry to breed a herbal (Basic) immunity, and get the sioux version of the roman empire started. the white guys would face an enemy that had more advanced weapons and tactics than they did :P

Which presents a problem for all of us, we're immune to microbes as they exist now, our immune systems have no experience with the microbes of that time, likely we'd all get !@#$ like leprosy or the plague etc and end up dead anyway. 

This raises an interesting point; any of us would probably also start a plague wherever we landed (even in Eurasia) because the natives of that time wouldn't have immunity to our microbes either.

hxvRjGK.jpg

• Textbooks (x3)
  • Lighter (x1)
  • Swiss army knife (x1)
  • Lunch 
  • Flashlight
  • Laser pointer
  • Photo ID

Give me a minute, I could have a longbow, 30 arrows, a lighter, a boat tarp, and a samsonite luggage with various survival items. oh and my swiss army knife. 

I'd probably break my glasses or lose my contacts then wander round half-blind for the rest of my life.

On a side note, if you're interested in metallurgy/making weapons, might I recommend the excellent Fencer Trilogy by KJ Parker. The story is great, and each book has a theme. The first book focuses on sword making, the second on bow making and the third on armour production. It's set in a 15/16th century fantasy universe, so the techniques are a bit more advanced than you'd need in primitive times, but nevertheless.

Realistically your only hope in ancient times is if you landed somewhere fairly civilised and got taken as a slave. As a slave you'd have the chance to learn the language, important basic skills and perhaps earn your freedom by providing a few basic pieces of tech (if you know anything about early agricultural developments this would be ideal). Slavery or being a servant is actually much better protection than being free.

☾☆

Priest of Dio

just because the Nazis did something doesn't mean it's automatically wrong

I'd probably break my glasses or lose my contacts then wander round half-blind for the rest of my life.

On a side note, if you're interested in metallurgy/making weapons, might I recommend the excellent Fencer Trilogy by KJ Parker. The story is great, and each book has a theme. The first book focuses on sword making, the second on bow making and the third on armour production. It's set in a 15/16th century fantasy universe, so the techniques are a bit more advanced than you'd need in primitive times, but nevertheless.

Realistically your only hope in ancient times is if you landed somewhere fairly civilised and got taken as a slave. As a slave you'd have the chance to learn the language, important basic skills and perhaps earn your freedom by providing a few basic pieces of tech (if you know anything about early agricultural developments this would be ideal). Slavery or being a servant is actually much better protection than being free.

so if you're anywhere in North America you're pretty much hosed?

so if you're anywhere in North America you're pretty much hosed?

It would be a bit tougher. You would need strong survival skills.

You'd be ok if you can: make fire, make shelter, catch/gather food, find water, other stuff that's less critical.

There's a creek a 5 minute walk. But, I'd go to the river 3 miles away on day 2.

I have a lighter to make fire.

I know how to snare animals.

Shelter is easy.

The natives will either accept me or kill me. There's risk in the modern world, too. We just expect the government to handle those risks for us.

It would be a bit tougher. You would need strong survival skills.

You'd be ok if you can: make fire, make shelter, catch/gather food, find water, other stuff that's less critical.

There's a creek a 5 minute walk. But, I'd go to the river 3 miles away on day 2.

I have a lighter to make fire.

I know how to snare animals.

Shelter is easy.

The natives will either accept me or kill me. There's risk in the modern world, too. We just expect the government to handle those risks for us.

that river follows a different course in 2,000 BC what you'd need is a map of the paleo-channels in your area, that's where your river is. 

It wouldn't be very different.

You'd be surprised at how much a river can change in 4000 years

history-Yellow-River.jpg

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

American made rivers are more reliable.

If you're like 90% of us you live in a flood plain. you're going back before dikes and levees were build, so depending on the time of year you may land square in the middie of a flood. even though the land animals back than were quite harmless for the most part, the marine life on the other hand...lets just say you might meet Mr Xiphactinus and he's a rather nasty fellow :P

If you're like 90% of us you live in a flood plain. you're going back before dikes and levees were build, so depending on the time of year you may land square in the middie of a flood. even though the land animals back than were quite harmless for the most part, the marine life on the other hand...lets just say you might meet Mr Xiphactinus and he's a rather nasty fellow :P

It says 2000BC, not 80000000BC

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win