You in 2000BC

Alice Lune

If right now, God, or gods, or aliens or some random nutjob with a phd in theoretical temporal physics decide to kick you back to the 2000BC, carrying with you only the clothes on your back and whatever's in your pocket right now, what would you do? How will you try to survive?

Please take note that you will be kicked back to the same place you are right now. So if you're on a boat, tough luck. If you can swim though, this is not a problem, so the question is what will you do from that point onward.

The same place I am right now? Since the Earth is revolving aroud the Galactic center at around 230 kilometers per second, and the Milky Way itself, averaged with the Local Group, is moving at about 600km/s relative to the Hydra cluster, I'd wager that if God dumped everyone in this thread back in 2000BC we'd all be dumped somewhere in the far reaches of interstellar space. You'd have about ten seconds of conscious thought left if you breathe out all the air in your lungs before you asphyxiate and die twenty seconds later - or else die much more painfully as you try desperately to hold the air in your lungs. If you opened your mouth, a cloud of vapor would rise off your tongue as the free water boils to vacuum. There would be no hope of escape. Science!

But for a less facetious answer, I'd probably fall on my ass about ten to twenty feet, so the first thing I'd do would be to try to absorb the impact if possible. I'd then probably want to find some berries or nuts and a place to take shelter; if possible to make some kind of sack and/or leanto/sleeping pad out of branches and leaves and twigs and suchlike. I doubt I'd be in a condition to go up against big game off the bat, if there even were any in this area at the time, so my best bet might be to head up northeast toward the rivers or the hillside creeks and see if I can make a net or a spear or something and catch some fishes. If I had my phone in my pocket with me it might be at least interesting to the native Americans around here, until the power runs out anyway. I'm not sure how well anyone around here at the time would receive my existence, though, and there'd be a significant language barrier, so I'd probably be at least somewhat cautious about approaching anyone for some time. Maybe I'd try to rough it out myself for as long as I can avoid a run-in with a mountain lion.

Edited by Erin
  • Upvote 5

Actually, I think you'll probably fit in quite well, depending on where you are.

Great Britain. They were prone to dying themselves blue with woad and charging naked into battle with a large sword in the bronze age, as far as I know. While I might be considerably taller than most of them, I doubt I would match up in battle and I'm not sure how to make woad dye :3

I would get stuck in the marshes that one day be known as "Jakarta", then dies of malnutrition and infection.

Edited by Bilal the Great
  • Upvote 1

indonesia.jpg

King Bilal the Great Mediocre

The Average monarch of Billonesia

Wikia page (if you're into roleplay things).

We Tvtropes now. (down the rabbit hole!)

I'd have my dope, pipe, phone and dog. From there I would start growing back my body hair, form a colony and take shit over. I would be at least 1 foot taller, be sought out for breeding rights, and check my nation

• Upvote 1

I'd join up with my fellow heathens of the Corded Ware culture as soon as possible, and I'd farm, fish and hunt. I would use my knowledge of modern inventions to improve the lives and capabilities of the people I come into touch with, and I'd try to start the Viking Age a few hundred years in advance for some pillagin' fun.

orwell_s_1984_oceania_s_currency_by_dungsc127_d97k1zt-fullview.jpg.9994c8f495b96849443aa0defa8730be.jpg

I'd have my dope, pipe, phone and dog. From there I would start growing back my body hair, form a colony and take !@#$ over. I would be at least 1 foot taller, be sought out for breeding rights, and check my nation

You keep your dog in your pocket? How big is your pocket?

Start the Roman Empire a bit early.

But would the etruscans have already developed the mortar that spurred on the Roman Empire's success?

I'd join up with my fellow heathens of the Corded Ware culture as soon as possible, and I'd farm, fish and hunt. I would use my knowledge of modern inventions to improve the lives and capabilities of the people I come into touch with, and I'd try to start the Viking Age a few hundred years in advance for some pillagin' fun.

And some rapin' fun, I bet :D

• Upvote 1

I would instantly become a god to native Americans with the lighter and phone in my pockets. With my knowledge, I'd create a 20th century style empire spanning north and south America within 20 years. The cult of me would be awesome with thousands of concubines and servants. I'd finally take a trip to Egypt to watch a pyramid being built and to explore their history a bit.

If right now, God, or gods, or aliens or some random nutjob with a phd in theoretical temporal physics decide to kick you back to the 2000BC, carrying with you only the clothes on your back and whatever's in your pocket right now, what would you do? How will you try to survive?

Please take note that you will be kicked back to the same place you are right now. So if you're on a boat, tough luck. If you can swim though, this is not a problem, so the question is what will you do from that point onward.

This would be !@#$ awesome. I've always wanted to travel back in time, and I'm no pro but survivalism is a bit of a hobby for me.

I have a lighter in my pocket, so fire would be easy for a while. Though no socks or shoes which come in handy.

So my first priorities would be fire, then water, then shelter, then food. Of course, this is all assuming I end up in the same place. But with that being said, there are a number of huge volcanoes here that last blew up around that time so I'm wondering "am I going to end up in the wild, or a lake of lava?" It would also make my lighter pretty irrelevant. And assuming it's the same place, I'd also be about 20 feet off the ground. :/

Edited by Fox Fire
  • Upvote 1

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

<Jroc> I heard \ is an anagram of cocaine
<\> I can't be rearranged into a line, I already am a line.

--Foxburo Wiki--

The same place I am right now? Since the Earth is revolving aroud the Galactic center at around 230 kilometers per second, and the Milky Way itself, averaged with the Local Group, is moving at about 600km/s relative to the Hydra cluster, I'd wager that if God dumped everyone in this thread back in 2000BC we'd all be dumped somewhere in the far reaches of interstellar space. You'd have about ten seconds of conscious thought left if you breathe out all the air in your lungs before you asphyxiate and die twenty seconds later - or else die much more painfully as you try desperately to hold the air in your lungs. If you opened your mouth, a cloud of vapor would rise off your tongue as the free water boils to vacuum. There would be no hope of escape. Science!

But for a less facetious answer, I'd probably fall on my ass about ten to twenty feet, so the first thing I'd do would be to try to absorb the impact if possible. I'd then probably want to find some berries or nuts and a place to take shelter; if possible to make some kind of sack and/or leanto/sleeping pad out of branches and leaves and twigs and suchlike. I doubt I'd be in a condition to go up against big game off the bat, if there even were any in this area at the time, so my best bet might be to head up northeast toward the rivers or the hillside creeks and see if I can make a net or a spear or something and catch some fishes. If I had my phone in my pocket with me it might be at least interesting to the native Americans around here, until the power runs out anyway. I'm not sure how well anyone around here at the time would receive my existence, though, and there'd be a significant language barrier, so I'd probably be at least somewhat cautious about approaching anyone for some time. Maybe I'd try to rough it out myself for as long as I can avoid a run-in with a mountain lion.

stop playin

you'd wander into a field and get milked for the rest of your life by a goat herder.

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

I'd find the nearest wifi source. Duhh!

• Upvote 2

rsz_1g7q_ak91409798280.jpg

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a roll.

There is one you will follow. One who is the shining star, and he will lead you to beautiful places in the search of his own vanity. And when there is no more vanity to be found, he will leave you in darkness, as a fading memory of his own creation.

he didn't mean the same point in space, he meant the same geographic location on earth, if aliens sent you back in time they'd account for all that and send you where the earth was than. 

I'd get dropped smack in the middle of sioux country,I'd probably find a way to depose the local chief and take over the tribe, use the diseases I carry to breed a herbal (Basic) immunity, and get the sioux version of the roman empire started. the white guys would face an enemy that had more advanced weapons and tactics than they did :P

Which presents a problem for all of us, we're immune to microbes as they exist now, our immune systems have no experience with the microbes of that time, likely we'd all get shit like leprosy or the plague etc and end up dead anyway. 

Edited by Six of Ten

It is highly probable that anyone this happened to would die relativly quickly.

If you know how to survive, like primitive survival, you'd last quite awhile actually until the first major infection got ya. 

You'd need to be vaccinated before the trip and you'd have to take Anti-biotics with ya. 

Edited by Six of Ten

If you know how to survive, like primitive survival, you'd last quite awhile actually until the first major infection got ya. 

You'd need to be vaccinated before the trip and you'd have to take Anti-biotics with ya. 

Actually, we are pretty well protected against older diseases.  It is a fact that your ancestors survived at least long enough to procreate so your natural immunities are not particularly weak.

However, survival required teamwork.  Since the OP implied that we would be alone our chance of survival despite all our advanced survival training in boy scouts.

-signature removed for rules violation-

Actually, we are pretty well protected against older diseases.  It is a fact that your ancestors survived at least long enough to procreate so your natural immunities are not particularly weak.

However, survival required teamwork.  Since the OP implied that we would be alone our chance of survival despite all our advanced survival training in boy scouts.

mine is in practice, but anyway, there was people back than, you already have superior knowledge over them about their own environment, we even know their languages, their written language, that could be used as a medium to recruit them, there's your team. installing yourself as a deity gives you the best chances. 

mine is in practice, but anyway, there was people back than, you already have superior knowledge over them about their own environment, we even know their languages, their written language, that could be used as a medium to recruit them, there's your team. installing yourself as a deity gives you the best chances. 

You speak and write ancient dead languages that did not actually have writing (unless you live in the Indus valley and nobody alive knows how to read that)?  Yeah, no.  Your opinion that you know more about how to survive than those folks is almost certainly wrong.  My reasoning for this is that they have a lifetime of practice surviving and you do not.

You are not going to 'recruit' anyone friend - they will just kill you.

Edited by LordRahl2

-signature removed for rules violation-