Texas 2014 - Abbott vs Davis

Jerry LeRow

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you vote for?

• Abbott
    • Davis

From my [european] outside view, Texas is one of the most exciting and important states in the union.

As they'll elect a new governor this november, I wanted to test how the P&W community would decide.

So, please "vote" in here! [Votes are not public]

From my [european] outside view, Texas is one of the most exciting and important states in the union.

Why?

Economy, people, ... but mainly economy

Your European view is fairly wrong.

The only good thing about is the heat which is comparable to the glorious Africa at times.

Do you guys wonder why no one takes you serious? Honestly...

Texas isn't really that important in the US. Most people think of texas as cowboys and rednecks, but cowboys were all over the south, and rednecks are in Alabama and north Florida.

Economically, it isn't that great either. The two big cities (Houston and Dallas) aren't well known for being rich.

DO WHAT YOU WANT CAUSE A PIRATE IS FREE!

YOU ARE A PIRATE!

Texas isn't really that important in the US. Most people think of texas as cowboys and rednecks, but cowboys were all over the south, and rednecks are in Alabama and north Florida.

Economically, it isn't that great either. The two big cities (Houston and Dallas) aren't well known for being rich.

Texas has over 8% of the US population in it and is the second biggest state by pop. in the union (and growing faster than any other state). It isn't really important compared to which other states?

Texas plays a big role in the U.S. Texans produce majority of the oil and natural gas that our country use to power itself. All most 30 million people stay there and they make money like nobodies business. Texas is a trillion dollar state that beats many countries, hands down. Texas is really important people.

We must also remember that Texas at most in another decade will shift blue from demographic changes...completely redefining US presidential elections with our dumb electoral voting system.

• Upvote 1

king.png

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery" -- Detroit Red

Now that's who we'll call an intelligent man!

"The King" of Th e  S  e   v   e   n    K    i     n      g      d       o        m         s

We must also remember that Texas at most in another decade will shift blue from demographic changes...completely redefining US presidential elections with our dumb electoral voting system.

Unlikely. The idea that demographic shifts will necessarily move states from right to left is silly; if it held true, every single state would be blue inside of twenty years (or rather, every state would be blue already as the free love generation came into power). 

A few states are more likely to move left than others: Virginia, for instance, is a real case of demographic shift. Texas is likely to moderate itself a bit, but a number of factors outside of demographics suggest it stays centre-right.

solidaritysig.png

Acting Chairman of Solidarity

Texas is likely to moderate itself a bit, but a number of factors outside of demographics suggest it stays centre-right.

So, basically, Democrat territory.

usprimaries_2007.png

• Upvote 1

There is no order and no meaning,

there is only the truth of The Signal.

The Signal ever transmits from here

to the eyes and ears of the 'verse.

Can't Stop The Signal.

Texas is likely to moderate itself a bit, but a number of factors outside of demographics suggest it stays centre-right.

So, basically, Democrat territory.

usprimaries_2007.png

Well, democrats in Texas... http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics/july-dec13/texas_07-09.html , http://www.laits.utexas.edu/txp_media/html/part/features/0401_01/turnout.html ... no.

Though this discussion was not meant to turn into a blue vs red thread, but to show how the P&W community would vote in this election. I left out the party after the name with a reason; I hoped you know Abbot & Davis, or you look them up, and not make your choice because of their parties, but because of what they've done in the past that affected Texas people.

It may have one of the largest populations, but it isn't really that great....

Being important doesn't mean you're awesome; it means you're important.

I agree, but the whole way the US government was originally set up was to keep one state from being more important than another. I know things have changed since the 1800s, but that was the purpose of senators and representatives.

YOU ARE A PIRATE!

I agree, but the whole way the US government was originally set up was to keep one state from being more important than another. I know things have changed since the 1800s, but that was the purpose of senators and representatives.

The purpose of senators was to represent each state equally in the legislature.

The purpose of representatives was to represent the US population in the legislature.

The purpose of the legislature is to further the interests of the wealthy at the expense of the vulnerable.

None of this refutes the fact that Texas is more important than a lot of other states for various other reasons.

Next.

The purpose of senators was to represent each state equally in the legislature.

The purpose of representatives was to represent the US population in the legislature.

The purpose of the legislature is to further the interests of the wealthy at the expense of the vulnerable.

None of this refutes the fact that Texas is more important than a lot of other states for various other reasons.

Next.

Thanks for elaborating what I had stated. Senators are supposed to represent each state equally so that one cannot control the government. The HoR represents the people, really the majority of the people, so that one group cannot control all of government. And I never was trying to say that no state is really more important than another.

All are equal because:

Some states cannot do things that others can.

Such as:

Alaska and Texas both have oil. Florida does not have anywhere near as much, if any.

Georgia and California both had gold at one point. Pretty sure that New York didn't.

First 13 colonies did not include much of the US. Texas was not one of those colonies. 

Let us cease the hostilities and stop the bickering.

YOU ARE A PIRATE!

Unlikely. The idea that demographic shifts will necessarily move states from right to left is silly; if it held true, every single state would be blue inside of twenty years (or rather, every state would be blue already as the free love generation came into power). 

A few states are more likely to move left than others: Virginia, for instance, is a real case of demographic shift. Texas is likely to moderate itself a bit, but a number of factors outside of demographics suggest it stays centre-right.

No stupid. let me google that for you...

https://www.google.com/search?q=texas%20demographic%20shift#q=texas+shifting+blue

king.png

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery" -- Detroit Red

Now that's who we'll call an intelligent man!

"The King" of Th e  S  e   v   e   n    K    i     n      g      d       o        m         s

Well, every election cycle Texas seems to be getting more and more blue. That percentage gap of blue-to-red voters is getting smaller and smaller. With major dissatisfaction with the Republican party (And the democratic party if you're a thinking organism, but most people aren't), a lot of Republicans are looking for an alternative, and with the influx of blue voting immigrants, Texas could indeed turn blue.

EHEqT.jpg

Well, every election cycle Texas seems to be getting more and more blue. That percentage gap of blue-to-red voters is getting smaller and smaller. With major dissatisfaction with the Republican party (And the democratic party if you're a thinking organism, but most people aren't), a lot of Republicans are looking for an alternative, and with the influx of blue voting immigrants, Texas could indeed turn blue.

Pretty much. The problem is that the difference between Red and Blue states is a lot like the difference between Coke and Pepsi. One might taste a bit better, but at the end of the day, they're both still rotting your teeth out.

• Upvote 1

Pretty much. The problem is that the difference between Red and Blue states is a lot like the difference between Coke and Pepsi. One might taste a bit better, but at the end of the day, they're both still rotting your teeth out.

I like the analogy, but it's really more like a Coke and a Pepsi subtly laced with arsenic.

There is no order and no meaning,

there is only the truth of The Signal.

The Signal ever transmits from here

to the eyes and ears of the 'verse.

Can't Stop The Signal.

Well... both parties are doing a fine job. Just some high representatives of them don't. Also everyone can enter politics, so I think blaiming the DEMs and REPs for every little mistake isn't really fair.

I live in Texas, and it CAN turn blue if we don't require IDs to vote and increase boarder security. 

I might as well edit and say that requiring an ID to vote isn't discrimination, since we can all go get an ID. It may not be a drivers license, but just a photo ID that would work. 

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png