Nation Perks

Alex

It depends on the size of the nation, like you said.  I think it's GOOD that Commerce and Development are built in ways that help newer nations catch up by incorporating some policies that are only beneficial to newer nations in order to get to the ones that benefit older ones.  I come from a world where catch-up mechanics are vital and... respected into this world where they're looked down upon.  It blows my mind.

How much would that 5% infra reduction save Placentica?

EDIT: The city-speeding thing is admittedly useless.  But there's basically one useless perk in every tree right now imo so that's par the course.

Edited by Ashland

aUel2fG.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[10:47] you used to be the voice of irc

It depends on the size of the nation, like you said.  I think it's GOOD that Commerce and Development are built in ways that help newer nations catch up by incorporating some policies that are only beneficial to newer nations in order to get to the ones that benefit older ones.  I come from a world where catch-up mechanics are vital and... respected into this world where they're looked down upon.  It blows my mind.

How much would that 5% infra reduction save Placentica?

EDIT: The city-speeding thing is admittedly useless.  But there's basically one useless perk in every tree right now imo so that's par the course.

Seriously? 1 day boost helping people catch up? That's only even remotely helpful in an alliance that fully funds them, which I've seen happen with maybe 5-10 people. 1 free improvement slot gives more slots to those with more cities so it still helps larger nations grow. You think I'm looking down on catch up mechanics, then you're just wrong. I said they need to be stronger. I also made lots of suggestions in the original threads I made about perks that would help new nations in a larger fashion. 

scSqPGJ.gif

I'd prefer to see all the proposed perk bonuses nerfed, and then gradually increase the ones that are really bad until they are just marginally "meh".  Then you can have a year long tuning process to slowly increase their power.

Duke of House Greyjoy

• Administrators

I've some very mixed feelings about this... and my brain is not functioning right. But at a cursory glance, trade is by far more useful than any of the other groupings.

You're the first one to suggest that you'd choose the trade perks. I think that as a resource producing nation, they'd be incredibly beneficial, but the fact of the matter is also that most players participating here on the forums are bigger, older, and generally commerce nations.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

[11:50:01] <+underlordgc>  honestly these perks need to be explained more

[11:50:17] <+underlordgc>  for example does the 15% oincrease in manufactured resourses requir more raw materials like the NP's do?

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

I'd lean towards all 4 trade and the first 3 commerce currently with the final 8th slot up for grabs so to speak.

THere going to be a cost to get the perks at first or just on resetting them?

On the resetting cost perhaps have a higher resource cost in related themes ie war/mil ones cost a higher amount in gas and munitions being they are primarily military resources and then steel and alumium for the comomerce/trade ones

I think Military and Wars are quite weak compared to the others, so I've redone them, and others, added 5 more, and propose we increase the amount to 9, instead of 8. The thing I did, was nerf all the slots, then make something good at the very end, so people would have to take a pick between one or the other, the reason I think it should be 9 is you can have all of one(say Dev) and 4 of the others. I took from Sheepy's list.

Military: I've kept Military the somewhat the same, but made it better.

Military Upkeep -5%
Munitions Used -10%
Military Costs -10%
Resource Used -10%
Recruit 25% More units per day

Trade: I honestly thought Trade was fine, but I've added a bit.

Farms Produce 5% More food
Resource Improvment Upkeep -10%
Manufactured Resource Upkeep -5%
Raw Resource Production +15%
Manufactured Resource Production +20%

Commerce: Probably gonna make Ashland rage when he sees this. :P

3% Population Increase
Commerce Upkeep -5%
Commerce Improvements cost 15% less
5% Commerce Boost in all cities
Weighted Average Income up $0.50

Development: 

Land Costs -10% Less
Improvements cost -5% Less
1 Free Improvement Slot per city
City/Projects costs -10% Less
Infrastructure costs -15% less

War:

Gain 10% More Loot in Ground Battles
Additional Offensive War Slot
Start with 1 Extra MAP per War
10% Bonus to Military Combat Values
Only 2 Defensive War Slots instead of 3

"That ain't Cologne, that's the smell of success."

17:00 <•Sheepy> I don't want you to leave the game

19:20 <•Pubstomber>:

Man, I really wish Rose had allied BoC a couple months ago when we had the chance instead of picking Vanguard.

I think Military and Wars are quite weak compared to the others, so I've redone them, and others, added 5 more, and propose we increase the amount to 9, instead of 8. The thing I did, was nerf all the slots, then make something good at the very end, so people would have to take a pick between one or the other, the reason I think it should be 9 is you can have all of one(say Dev) and 4 of the others. I took from Sheepy's list.

Military Upkeep -5%
Munitions Used -10%
Military Costs -10%
Resource Used -10%
Recruit 25% More units per day

3% Population Increase
Commerce Upkeep -5%
Commerce Improvements cost 15% less

Development: 

Land Costs -10% Less

War:

Liking these, but think it should be recruit 50% more units per day to make the military tree worth it. 

T7Vrilp.png

Liking these, but think it should be recruit 50% more units per day to make the military tree worth it. 

Thats what I thought, but I didn't think anyone would be on board with that idea, saying it was to OP.

Man, I really wish Rose had allied BoC a couple months ago when we had the chance instead of picking Vanguard.

Why not tie the perks into the policies of the game?

If your policy is this - you unlock these perks.  Which will then give us a list of perks that we can choose from on each policy.  The policies themselves can have some sort of additional small buff/penalty as well.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

• Administrators

[11:50:01] <+underlordgc>  honestly these perks need to be explained more

[11:50:17] <+underlordgc>  for example does the 15% oincrease in manufactured resourses requir more raw materials like the NP's do?

Yes, it would increase resource consumption. You're not going to magically make things out of thin air :P

Resource Used -10%

War:

This is an interesting modification to the perks I suggested, and something I'm open to, except for a couple of these. First, the military option for "Resource used -10%" I'm assuming you meant gasoline?

Next, increasing weighted average income by $0.50 perk is going to make everyone change their policies from what they actually want them to be to what's most beneficial for their nation, which I don't agree with. Policies should stay purely cosmetic and not affect gameplay, which means we can't tamper with average incomes.

I think changing 3 defensive war slots to 2 is far too powerful to have as a perk.

Why not tie the perks into the policies of the game?

If your policy is this - you unlock these perks.  Which will then give us a list of perks that we can choose from on each policy.  The policies themselves can have some sort of additional small buff/penalty as well.

I think that will force people to make policy choices they don't actually agree with, which destroys any roleplay element to policies.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

This is an interesting modification to the perks I suggested, and something I'm open to, except for a couple of these. First, the military option for "Resource used -10%" I'm assuming you meant gasoline?

Next, increasing weighted average income by $0.50 perk is going to make everyone change their policies from what they actually want them to be to what's most beneficial for their nation, which I don't agree with. Policies should stay purely cosmetic and not affect gameplay, which means we can't tamper with average incomes.

I think changing 3 defensive war slots to 2 is far too powerful to have as a perk.

I mean the amount of resources used to create the military. Like Tanks would go from 1 steel to .90 steel. etc.

I don't follow, the $0.50 perk wouldn't affect policies, but if needed, I'll come up with another perk.

I strongly disagree with that statement, you said the whole idea of these would to make difficult choices: " will force some tough decisions" and this is one of them. This perk is honestly, the only thing I'd go for in the War slots(maybe an extra MAP) otherwise that, I wouldn't even think about going into the war perks, but that makes me wonder if its worth it, to protect myself over getting something else. Thats why I added it, so now, even nations that have nothing to do with war will think about going the war route.

Per Sheepy's request I've edited the list. Edited from my previous list are in red.

Military Upkeep -5%

Munitions Used -10%

Military Costs -10%

Resource Used -10%

Recruit 50% More units per day

Commerce: Probably gonna make Ashland rage when he sees this.  :P

3% Population Increase

Commerce Upkeep -5%

Commerce Improvements cost 20% less

Gross Expenses -3%

Development: 

Land Costs -10% Less

War:

Policies set tax rate and minimum wage so that players get the same income no matter. Max tax is 50% and min tax is 5%. If a perk adds flat $0.5 to wage, then max left wing will get $0.25 per person and max right wing will get 0.025 per person. So everyone on commerce perks will go max left.

I like the trade and military policies.

My commerce is already 100 but the WTC is out of my reach.

At least I can have the trade perks and somewhat gradually they increase as I get more perks.

I would probably get all trade, and all military.

The upkeep helps my standing army, recruit more units in a day is excellent for resupply, the extra spy replaces the need for the CIA, and plus the cheaper military units price compliments the increased resources I'd get.

I think Development is weakest of the bunch, land is cheap, I rarely buy new cities, infra is good but 5% decrease in price won't be worth it at this time for me.

I find I am running out of what to use improvement slots for too, filling them up with munitions depots since it is cheaper to raise infra than to buy a new city for millions.

Also just so I contribute to the discussion: maybe you could add synergies? 

Like if you had commerce and development both, the land costs are then 30% less and 2% population increase. But you only get synergy when you have specific combinations.

And if you had war and military they would compliment each-other as well.

Also as another suggestion, maybe increase cap for gas refinery or steel mill from 3 to 4 for a perk.

Edited by Mayor

• Wiki Mod

not a fan of synergies, makes the trees to complicated to explain to noobs. Also a 5% infra discount is massive if your building cities right.

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

I got nothing to add to the discussion (I'm not good at number crunching) but I have to say that this is awesome! I've been waiting for this shit since beta and I'm glad that we have finally starting to cinsider about it now.

indonesia.jpg

King Bilal the Great Mediocre

The Average monarch of Billonesia

Wikia page (if you're into roleplay things).

We Tvtropes now. (down the rabbit hole!)

Hmmmmmm....

From Sheepy's list I'd go with the entire Commerce tree to get to that commerce boost IF it allowed me to get to 110% commerce.

Then I'd grab all of Development for extra growth, and that last slot.

Having that extra slot would give me 6 more improvement slots across my cities, which would allow me to improve my military without impacting commerce or resource production.

As you sow, so shall you reap