Spying on Alliance Banks

WISD0MTREE

You can. It's called getting a GA victory against a member.

Something tells me that going that route will... hm... tip the person's hand a bit.

• Upvote 1

aUel2fG.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[10:47] you used to be the voice of irc

You can. It's called getting a GA victory against a member.

Jokes aside, spying an alliance bank shouldn't be so easy. Take the tough route. Win a war.

spy

verb \ˈspÄ«\

: to try secretly to get information about a country, organization, etc. : to act as a spy

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

Beige the opponent in the specific alliance and do math?

"In an honest service there is thin commons, low wages, and hard labor; in this, plenty and satiety, pleasure and ease, liberty and power; and who would not balance creditor on this side, when all the hazard that is run for it, at worst, is only a sour look or two at choking. No, a merry life and a short one, shall be my motto." - Bartholomew "Black Bart" Roberts

Green Enforcement Agency will rise again!

spy

verb \ˈspÄ«\

: to try secretly to get information about a country, organization, etc. : to act as a spy

Yeah.

aUel2fG.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[10:47] you used to be the voice of irc

Beige the opponent in the specific alliance and do math?

spy

verb \ˈspÄ«\

"Oh, hello <alliance>. I have declared war on one of your members just to see what you have in your bank. Please ignore." 

Maybe make it so that an alliances total spy count are used to qualify it. The action can only be done by the leader of the alliance and uses their bank cash to fund the operations and doing so uses every spy action for the entire alliance that day.

Naturally this would give alliances further incentive to build spies and would represent a significant action to actually do it. Getting caught would also be a direct cause for war... it'd be an interesting mechanic for sure.

Edited by Thulium
  • Upvote 3

Something tells me that going that route will... hm... tip the person's hand a bit.

spy

verb \ˈspÄ«\

"Oh, hello <alliance>. I have declared war on one of your members just to see what you have in your bank. Please ignore." 

That's hardly an insurmountable obstacle. In fact, with most alliances, it's trivial to get info on what's in the bank by beiging a member without tipping the alliance in question off. 

A) Hire someone you trust, in an unaffiliated group to beige them for you. They then tell you what was in the bank. 

B ) Smaller and inactive alliance members are raided all the time. Look at the bank transactions of the nations that raider them. It tells you exactly what they received, and what % of the bank it was. (This is how the Marionette Coalition found out what was in TC banks pre war)

Edited by Tenages
  • Upvote 1
wF9Bjre.gif

Maybe make it so that an alliances total spy count are used to qualify it. The action can only be done by the leader of the alliance and uses their bank cash to fund the operations and doing so uses every spy action for the entire alliance that day.

Naturally this would give alliances further incentive to build spies and would represent a significant action to actually do it. Getting caught would also be a direct cause for war... it'd be an interesting mechanic for sure.

The obvious problem with this is if it's based on alliance spy count, it's hugely biased towards large alliances. Small groups are &#33;@#&#036;ed. 

• Upvote 2
wF9Bjre.gif

What about small alliances?

Edit: :ph34r:

Edited by underlordgc
  • Upvote 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

spy

verb \ˈspÄ«\

Information gathering by beiging can be done covertly as Tenages already mentioned. Just look at the raid history of the targeted alliance and if anyone of them was rogued recently and was beiged in the process, the war report generated thereby is available for viewing by any player.

"Your spy attack on X alliance has failed and your identity has been revealed. You must militarize now as the war you were planning to declare on your unsuspecting enemies in a week will probably happen sooner now."

"Alliance X, please ignore our spy attack. We were just playing with the mechanics and trying out our new toys!"

:P

Edited by Niklaus

Blood of a king. Heart of a lion.

I'm going to agree with everyone else. I don't think there is a way to fairly protect the smaller alliances if it is based on spy count alone. I could possibly envision average spy count being a way to protect smaller alliances, however.

Then again, I still think beiging an alliance member should be the way to obtain the information if it isnt available in a war report already as mentioned above.

• Upvote 1

"Your spy attack on X alliance has failed and your identity has been revealed. You must militarize now as the war you were planning to declare on your unsuspecting enemies in a week will probably happen sooner now."

"Alliance X, please ignore our spy attack. We were just playing with the mechanics and trying out our new toys!"

Don't get caught 

Yeah I'm against this one. If you want to find out how much is in another alliance's bank, just go ahead and use the human method. Get one of your newer/smaller/less politically known members to "resign" and join the other alliance.

greene.png

Formerly known as Grealind of Resvernas (28 October 2014-29 August 2017) and Greene of Japan (29 August 2017-28 Septmber 2017)

7th Caretaker of Duat, the Deity Thoth

Don't get caught 

"Your spy attack against alliance X has succeeded."

Alliance X: "We have been spied by someone"

All that alliance X has to do now is make a list of alliances which could have spied on it (like an alliance which has a higher spy count than it, if it is based on total spy count). Then it has to narrow it down to one or two alliances. Easily done when you consider factors like military buildup and your past history with suspected attackers. After that it can just confirm its intel. Or even if it does not, a smart alliance would start preparing by now. I don't really see how this is better than than the beiging tactic. That's all.

Blood of a king. Heart of a lion.

I tentatively support this suggestion, and I'm not really seeing why the chance of a spy attempt on another alliance can't be balanced between big and small alliances by also making the chance proportional to an alliance's score/power/whatever overall. Maybe with regards to military or spy score vs. infrastructure: we already have the game bugging people constantly if your military score is below 10% of your nation's overall score, so why can't spy score ratio among nations in an alliance - perhaps averaged or weighted toward big alliance members who can field more spies - work similarly in determining the proportional chance of an alliance spying attempt's success? Then, on top of that, maybe make it less likely to succeed, or proportionally far more costly, to run a spy attempt on another alliance bank as opposed to running spy attempts on another nation's stockpiles.

If you want to further discourage cost-to-hit discrepancies between big and small alliances in inter-alliance espionage, maybe have it such that having a larger or smaller number of nations and/or average score than the alliance you're spying on incurs a higher cost for an espionage run than for an alliance with equal or nearly equal stats.

• Upvote 1