11/29/2014 - Spies & December Donations

Alex

• Administrators

Quick update here guys, just wanted to let you know about one minor change and what December's nation bonus donation options will be.

First, the spy change is that now, even if you're executing an espionage operation at 100% odds, there's a very slim (~1.5%) chance that you can be caught. This is because the feature is abusable in it's current state and large nations have the power to harass smaller nations unchecked.

Next, December's donation options are going to be:

$5 USD - $750,000 in-game

$10 USD - $1,500,000 in-game

$15 USD - $2,250,000 in-game

$20 USD - $3,000,000 in-game

$30 USD - $4,500,000 in-game

This is only a slight increase from last month, but I think it's a fair change to keep things current and not game-breaking. Your donations are being reinvested into the community, they go to pay for server costs as well as advertisements to grow our community and that sort of thing.

• Upvote 2

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

wait so let me get this straight, even if my spy mission is successful there is a change my spies may still be discovered ?

Yes.

Good change sheepy, but maybe 2% is better.

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

What's the point of it even reaching 100% then? The purpose was to ensure an undetected operation, if you put the money in for the operation but there is still risk regardless of funding then the whole point of spying is kind of ruined.

• Upvote 2

[17:17:58] <&Ashland> I will give you hops if you say this phrase:

[17:18:13] <&Ashland> "Man, I really wish Rose had allied BoC a couple months ago when we had the chance instead of picking Vanguard."

[17:20:16] Man, I really wish Rose had allied BoC a couple months ago when we had the chance instead of picking Vanguard.

3fHp1YR.gif

Quick update here guys, just wanted to let you know about one minor change and what December's nation bonus donation options will be.

First, the spy change is that now, even if you're executing an espionage operation at 100% odds, there's a very slim (~1.5%) chance that you can be caught. This is because the feature is abusable in it's current state and large nations have the power to harass smaller nations unchecked.

I'm happy that you are listening to the players. Thanks Sheepy!

Fire is nice eh?

Why would anyone risk conducting espionage attacks if there is a chance of getting caught? All this change will do is make sure that nobody bothers with the system unless a war is declared because nobody will want to risk giving another alliance a CB or worse yet reveal their hand if they're planning a war.

I can't say I agree or support the idea that 100% odds should have the possibility of revealing the attacker at all but hopefully that tiny chance truly is as rare as it suggests.

• Upvote 1

100% is ment that the target you are hitting gets hit and assures that you leave very little amount of evidence behind but you can never hid it all. just becuase its suppose to be a compleat success does not mean the imposible cant happen

• Upvote 1

(^。^)y-.。o○ (-。-)y-゜゜゜ this is how i make my cloud

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag291/petgangster/efb30519-f381-4330-a62b-11db0d2a058b_zpscilyk2rj.png

What if the player has no spies does this still apple?

I'm bananas for this question. Olive you for asking this, from my head tomatoes. Thank you berry much! Hopefully not, for that would put me in a rather meloncholy mood. :( Edited by Kurdanak
  • Upvote 5
xzhPlEh.png?1

This is a terrible update, and a terrible idea. You've made spying outside of war completely worthless. This is not the way to solve the problem. I think this could've been given more time and thought.

Personally, I think a better idea would be the ability to counter-spy. Here's how I see it working:

You have been hit by a spy attack. You use a spy yourself to counter-spy--it counts as a spy action for the day. You can follow the trail. You don't know the odds because you don't know how many opposing spies there are, but there's always a chance you could succeed. It could be relatively cheap, and it could come with no actual risk to your spies. It's better, because instead of a constant chance of failure for a 100% operation, the person I've spied against has to take a little bit of effort to track me down, and they have to make a choice to do it. If I've put in a bit of money and effort, they should have to put in a little bit to figure out it was me. Honestly, it's probably a shit idea in itself, but I think there's a better way of going about it than this.

59a.gif

"They're turning kids into slaves just to make cheaper sneakers.

But what's the real cost? ‘Cause the sneakers don't seem that much cheaper.

Why are we still paying so much for sneakers when you got them made by little slave kids?

What are your overheads?"

100% is ment that the target you are hitting gets hit and assures that you leave very little amount of evidence behind but you can never hid it all. just becuase its suppose to be a compleat success does not mean the imposible cant happen

If it's 100% successful, then you destroy all evidence left behind... 

yVHTSLQ.png

(TEst lives on but I'm in BK stronk now and too lazy to change the image)

• Administrators

No, if they have no spies then you will always be successful and never be caught.

To the others that are not satisfied with this change, realize that the spy system is not being used as it was intended currently. The current mechanics are being abused to harass alliances, which in theory is a great use of spies, but if it can be used without check then that's clearly not fair. You can basically still do this, as there is an incredibly, incredibly small chance of being exposed, (for every 100 espionage operations you do, only 2 of them would be exposed, in a perfect sample group), but there is a chance for accountability, which is important. 

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators

This is a terrible update, and a terrible idea. You've made spying outside of war completely worthless. This is not the way to solve the problem. I think this could've been given more time and thought.

Personally, I think a better idea would be the ability to counter-spy. Here's how I see it working:

You have been hit by a spy attack. You use a spy yourself to counter-spy--it counts as a spy action for the day. You can follow the trail. You don't know the odds because you don't know how many opposing spies there are, but there's always a chance you could succeed. It could be relatively cheap, and it could come with no actual risk to your spies. It's better, because instead of a constant chance of failure for a 100% operation, the person I've spied against has to take a little bit of effort to track me down, and they have to make a choice to do it. If I've put in a bit of money and effort, they should have to put in a little bit to figure out it was me. Honestly, it's probably a shit idea in itself, but I think there's a better way of going about it than this.

Your idea is flawed because it would require a complete overhaul of the espionage system. You pull open the page, click "Counter-Spy", and then you have to figure out who you're going to counter-spy. If you've been hit with 3 attacks/day for the past week, that's 21 different operations you could potentially "counter-spy" and that would be a whole new interface and be way, way more complicated than anything we have now with the espionage system.

Forums Rules | Game Link

Sheepy.

Can you just have a different number for the probability of being discovered and the probability of being successful. 

This would make more sense.

just never make anything 100%, it should max at 99%

Your idea is flawed because it would require a complete overhaul of the espionage system. You pull open the page, click "Counter-Spy", and then you have to figure out who you're going to counter-spy. If you've been hit with 3 attacks/day for the past week, that's 21 different operations you could potentially "counter-spy" and that would be a whole new interface and be way, way more complicated than anything we have now with the espionage system.

anyway,it sounds like the system needs to be overhauled anyway as you're slapping on band-aid fixes to appease a vocal minority.

• Upvote 1

• Administrators

Sheepy.

Can you just have a different number for the probability of being discovered and the probability of being successful. 

This would make more sense.

just never make anything 100%, it should max at 99%

That's exactly how it works server side, two numbers are generated (and always have been) between 1-100 for each, 1st whether you're successful, and 2nd whether you've been caught.

These numbers are then compared to your odds. If the odds are greater than the generated number, you've been succesful in that category. Now, before, if you had ridiculous odds (like 1,000% or something) that would've carried over and you could have never not been successful or not been caught. Now, that number is capped at 100%, and is still compared to a random 1-100 for success, but is now compared to 1-102 for being caught. This is how you now have a very small chance of being exposed while being successful.

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Administrators

anyway,it sounds like the system needs to be overhauled anyway as you're slapping on band-aid fixes to appease a vocal minority.

It's a simple solution to a simple problem and it should have already been implemented before anyone had to say anything.

• Upvote 1

Forums Rules | Game Link

That's exactly how it works server side, two numbers are generated (and always have been) between 1-100 for each, 1st whether you're successful, and 2nd whether you've been caught.

These numbers are then compared to your odds. If the odds are greater than the generated number, you've been succesful in that category. Now, before, if you had ridiculous odds (like 1,000% or something) that would've carried over and you could have never not been successful or not been caught. Now, that number is capped at 100%, and is still compared to a random 1-100 for success, but is now compared to 1-102 for being caught. This is how you now have a very small chance of being exposed while being successful.

then make both of the probabilities visible ...or none of them.

• Administrators

then make both of the probabilities visible ...or none of them.

Since they're essentially the same, I'll just go ahead and cap the displayed success rate at 99% so no one ever thinks they'll always have a perfect mission. That ought to solve that discrepancy.

Forums Rules | Game Link

no, but it might mango

Since they're essentially the same, I'll just go ahead and cap the displayed success rate at 99% so no one ever thinks they'll always have a perfect mission. That ought to solve that discrepancy.

To quote my uncle, a retired USASF SGTMAJ with 30 years, "The only time a covert mission is truly successful is when all parties with its knowledge are dead."

• Upvote 2

yVHTSLQ.png

(TEst lives on but I'm in BK stronk now and too lazy to change the image)

I think there needs to be a small chance your spies just absolutely bungle up the operation so I like the change.  And $4.5m donation is about right. Once you start approaching $6-7m that just gets to be too much.

• Upvote 1

That is a good !@#$ change.  Way to go, Sheepy.  My favorite sheep.  So now if you perform a bajillion missions there's a pretty good chance you'll get caught on one of them.

@Saeton: Ah, yes.  I too have an Uncle Acronym.

Edited by Ashland

aUel2fG.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[10:47] you used to be the voice of irc

No, if they have no spies then you will always be successful and never be caught.

To the others that are not satisfied with this change, realize that the spy system is not being used as it was intended currently. The current mechanics are being abused to harass alliances, which in theory is a great use of spies, but if it can be used without check then that's clearly not fair. You can basically still do this, as there is an incredibly, incredibly small chance of being exposed, (for every 100 espionage operations you do, only 2 of them would be exposed, in a perfect sample group), but there is a chance for accountability, which is important. 

so should the odds be 100% when they have no spies then? because currently they are 99%

T7Vrilp.png