Take me out to the ball game

LachlanPnW

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am bored. I'm out at a baseball game, and my team is losing. So, naturally, I'm going to go judge some pixels.

First up, this needs to be said. This game does not work on the power of friendship. If everyone is friends, who are we going to fight? Why bother having a military, if there's no one to fight? Big, massive spheres kill the game. It's so obvious. There gets a point, where if a sphere is too big (like Midgard), where there is no point in fighting a war against them because there js no way you would win. If T$, eclipse and Rose become standing members of midgard, its game over.

Second point, the beef. Oh, for how I long for the days of when everyone was a naive noob. I would love to feel that true anger and horror when someone declared war on you. When I was about 10 days old, I had someone declare on me. I went to sleep that night, swearing that I would find his home address and make sure he pays. Once you get past that point, no one cares! There's no point fighting! "I'll just use the 2B I have saved up, tucked away in a bank protected by half the entire game base". Or, "its okay, my alliance will pay for it entirely!"

Oh, and don't let me start with debt traps. So, the manipulation is insane. Alliances eat up C1 nations (with no experience), give them 10s to 100s millions of dollars, don't tell them how to make money, and then don't let them leave without making sure they pay back every cent. This makes players stuck in the same alliance for 100s of days as a low tier player, unable to leave without getting rolled into Aisle 7 of the nearest Coles.

Next, businesses. It shouldn't be up to the responsibility of the player base to create banks. Alliances have been given alliance banks for a reason. Grab these same people who create bots, and then turn your alliance into a bank for your alliance! It's not hard! People can't be complaining about banks, but then not do anything about it.

And finally, the lack of clarity. I felt that, until I made gov, I was completely voided by my alliance, like there was a grey wall, just 5 meters in front of me  blocking the interesting stuff. Communication is key. Communication makes everything all the more interesting.

Thank you for reading my hot takes

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Serpentis? More like Serpenis

Sir, this is the wrong thread, this post should be made under r/im14andthisisdeep

On a serious note, I agree completely with you on the bank/business concerns. That's what happens when everyone with a breath can open up a "bank". Unfortunately as long as there are gullible people, there will be micro banks trying to scam you out of your money.

- "don't let me start with debt traps"
What you described is actually an unrealistic scenario, most debt trapping doesn't occur with low tier noobs. A noob doesn't know better to leave his current alliance to join another one, so it is unnecessary to waste hundreds of millions as you say on c1s. Not to mention, they'll have activity problems if they get everything on day 1 and probably go inactive, which is to say this doesn't happen often.

This gets ignored often, but typically, members who take grants/loans do so knowing the strings attached with it. Afterall, no one is operating a charity here, so expecting to take hundreds of millions or even billions in grants, only to bail the next week, is obviously not going to fly.

- "There's no point fighting"
If your alliance encourages this behaviour, than you're probably in the wrong place. Most alliances who offer rebuilds after wars won't do so for members who didn't participate at all. Then again, my view is non-micro oriented.

- "until I made gov, I was completely voided by my alliance"

I have two things to say in this instance. If, as a fresh new member to the alliance, you expect to be given a voice in big decisions, then you're delusional. For obvious reasons, noobs and newcomers can't be trusted with information that pertains to the security of the alliance.
But, if for example, your alliance can't give you proper reasoning for actions they take, tax farms you, or shuts you out in that regard, the responsibility is on you to leave. if it's such a place I'm guessing they'll try to steal your deposits as well, so withdraw your deposits with an excuse like building AUP or a city, and get the hell out of dodge. 

Edited by Krampus
  • Haha 2

HEADERS_CTO12.png

Inform Zigbir I have forgotten how to edit the signature field
Please remind me how to do it post haste!

24 minutes ago, Denison said:

Don't care, Didn't ask. 

Then don't read it. Not my problem.

55 minutes ago, Krampus said:

"There's no point fighting

I meant, there's no point fighting a (singular) nation, if all damage you inflict is just going to be negated within a few hours.

57 minutes ago, Krampus said:

But, if for example, your alliance can't give you proper reasoning for actions they take, tax farms you, or shuts you out in that regard, the responsibility is on you to leave. if it's such a place I'm guessing they'll try to steal your deposits as well, so withdraw your deposits with an excuse like building AUP or a city, and get the hell out of dodge. 

This is what I'm referring to. And yes, it is the responsibility of the individual to leave that alliance. However, the alliance shouldn't be doing that in the first place. But, they do happen. 

59 minutes ago, Krampus said:

What you described is actually an unrealistic scenario, most debt trapping doesn't occur with low tier noobs.

It actually happened to me on my first nation. I didn't get told anything about 'grants' or 'loans' etc. I left the alliance, got rolled into oblivion, and re rolled.

On 2/10/2023 at 11:21 PM, LachlanPnW said:

And finally, the lack of clarity. I felt that, until I made gov, I was completely voided by my alliance, like there was a grey wall, just 5 meters in front of me  blocking the interesting stuff. Communication is key. Communication makes everything all the more interesting

This is actually the heart of my leadership philosophy as it turns out. The truth is that the vast majority of activity that makes the game worth playing on a day-to-day basis takes place within the context of alliances rather than the game itself. The best alliances will be ones that not only have ample opportunity for all members who desire to participate to do so, but will actively seek out to include as many members as possible. There should never be a grey wall between you and the maintenance/development of an alliance.

Edited by Kadin
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Kadin said:

This is actually the heart of my leadership philosophy as it turns out. The truth is that the vast majority of activity that makes the game worth playing on a day-to-day basis takes place within the context of alliances rather than the game itself. The best alliances will be ones that not only have ample opportunity for all members who desire to participate to do so, but will actively seek out to include as many members as possible. There should never be a grey wall between you and the maintenance/development of an alliance.

The only major alliance that does this as far as I know is Grumpy, and even we have had to tone it back.  The reason 99.9% of alliances dont tell their members anything is that if plans get leaked it can completely blow up an alliance/bloc's plans which can lead to them getting rolled.  So the rule of thumb is that most alliances consider the risk to be too great to share OPSEC info with it's general members.  Alot of alliances have additional walls between lower gov and upper gov, and you can have blocs that have an additional wall between upper gov and alliance leaders only. (and if you really want to know where the real plans get made its in private group chats between like 3-5 extremely influential people)

• Upvote 1

I'm with Ronny D. I can see your perspective, but speaking specifically to your point on alliance affairs, I can think of at least one instance where a major plan was completely blown up due to a leak. Ironically, leaks are part of the fun of the game, but separation along low gov, mid gov, and leadership is super important to a functioning alliance. Plus, alliance-wide sharing would kind of eliminate the purpose of FA.

6 hours ago, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

The only major alliance that does this as far as I know is Grumpy, and even we have had to tone it back.  The reason 99.9% of alliances dont tell their members anything is that if plans get leaked it can completely blow up an alliance/bloc's plans which can lead to them getting rolled.  So the rule of thumb is that most alliances consider the risk to be too great to share OPSEC info with it's general members.  Alot of alliances have additional walls between lower gov and upper gov, and you can have blocs that have an additional wall between upper gov and alliance leaders only. (and if you really want to know where the real plans get made its in private group chats between like 3-5 extremely influential people)

You don't have to reveal every plan to everyone in order to get people involved. There are levels to this shit. 

Perhaps I completely misinterpreted what the OP was saying, but I didn't view their wall comment as meaning "I need to know everything about what's going on." I read it more as, "I'm simply some numbers and statistics that alliance leaders play around with, and don't have an active role of my own beyond that."

Upper gov make final high-end decisions in consultation with each other. Lower gov participate (alongside department-assigned upper gov) in the planning and leadership of their respective departments. Then you have the members, who are sought after as workers who play an essential role as cogs in the greater machine. The best workers, those with the most loyalty and potential, become the talent pool for future leadership. Those who do not answer that call are then the ones who only act as the hammer with which the alliance smashes its foes.

This is a time-tested and true method of building and maintaining an active, engaged alliance that is ready to respond to anything.

1 hour ago, Shockrider1 said:

I'm with Ronny D. I can see your perspective, but speaking specifically to your point on alliance affairs, I can think of at least one instance where a major plan was completely blown up due to a leak. Ironically, leaks are part of the fun of the game, but separation along low gov, mid gov, and leadership is super important to a functioning alliance. Plus, alliance-wide sharing would kind of eliminate the purpose of FA.

See the reply above. There seems to be a misunderstanding on what I'm actually saying. No alliance is going to tell every random members everything they have planned. That's a really naive way of looking at things and certainly not what I mean.

Edited by Kadin

On 2/11/2023 at 4:43 AM, Changeup said:

More importantly, what sort of baseball is being played in early february

Latin American leagues usually happen in the winter seasons of Northern Hemisphere. Weather is conducive to it, and you're not playing in most of the US anyway at that time.

9 hours ago, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

Being an alliance with only experienced veterans who know the culture of the game and about how stuff works is a rarity. Few alliances work on that scale; most majors do some form of active recruiting with brand new players, and that comes with upsides and risks. Elite culture alliances tend to not be large in member count for a variety of reasons, but one of the upsides is that you can be very free and open with members relative to groups that recruit from the masses.

• Upvote 1

In paradisum deducant te Angeli; in tuo adventu suscipiant te martyres, et perducant te in civitatem sanctam Ierusalem.
Chorus angelorum te suscipiat, et cüm Lazaro quondam paupere æternam habeas requiem.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2023 at 4:21 AM, LachlanPnW said:

Finally, the lack of clarity. I felt that, until I made gov, I was completely voided by my alliance, like there was a grey wall, just 5 meters in front of me  blocking the interesting stuff. Communication is key. Communication makes everything all the more interesting.

So true tbh. I gotta say it is very hard to turn not fully motivated newbies into stable gov though.