On the current state of Foreign Affairs

iAlrea

It may be frowned upon by my peers, but I'm going to say it... I basically agree. Somewhere along the way @Kan0601 seems to have slipped on his goal of making smaller spheres and generating more interesting dynamics in the game's politics, because Midgard right now looks to be exactly the opposite of that. Nothing against Kan personally and I'm loyal to Aurora, but like... just saying.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Federation of Knox

Enlightened of Chaos, Event Horizon

QA Team and API Team

So I think you're correct in the fact that Midgard is not a superbloc but regardless I feel that justifying this by saying "Oh yeah, if the entire game declared on them, they'd lose" is a very unhealthy attitude to have - the likelihood of this happening is very low, unless there was some catastrophic blunder on behalf of MG governments.

Midgard still holds a substantial upper tier, 134 nations ranging from c27-c34 according to the chart above. The only coalition that can rival that in that tier is ODOO, who is significantly outmatched in the lower tiers.

I feel that this type of behaviour incentivizes cross-bloc coordination to roll a third party bloc, which in itself is a very unhealthy practice. I don't think MG's current practices are game-destroying but nevertheless I feel the habit of having massive networks of chaining treaties can only be detrimental to the community.

• Upvote 1

image1.png

If you think a particular bloc is too big, my recommendation is to gather enough firepower to take them down and force them to split up. I wouldn't expect that a random thread chastising the community for not doing it for you would be especially effective.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Kadin said:

If you think a particular bloc is too big, my recommendation is to gather enough firepower to take them down and force them to split up. I wouldn't expect that a random thread chastising the community for not doing it for you would be especially effective.

Meanwhile, I encourage all critics of the EU, instead of discussing and engaging in irl politics, why don't you just build your own union of countries and militarily force the disbandment of europe?

9 minutes ago, Borg said:

Meanwhile, I encourage all critics of the EU, instead of discussing and engaging in irl politics, why don't you just build your own union of countries and militarily force the disbandment of europe?

I'm gonna pretend you didn't just try to compare pixels in a browser-based nation game with the lives and blood of real people. 👀

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Kadin said:

I'm gonna pretend you didn't just try to compare pixels in a browser-based nation game with the lives and blood of real people. 👀

Sphere size is a political issue. Was mostly just trying to mock you since your running theme seems to be that every problem is a nail that can be solved with the appropriate application of military force. Granted you are milcom, so that checks out. 

I'd point out that building an even bigger sphere to take down a sphere you think is too big is how we got here, but that's blasphemous thinking.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kadin said:

Do you force allies to split after you force their government to change, or is that after? 

• Haha 2

new_forum_sig_2.png

1 hour ago, Borg said:

Sphere size is a political issue. Was mostly just trying to mock you since your running theme seems to be that every problem is a nail that can be solved with the appropriate application of military force. Granted you are milcom, so that checks out. 

I'd point out that building an even bigger sphere to take down a sphere you think is too big is how we got here, but that's blasphemous thinking.

Oh, don't mistake me for one of those with a legitimate interest in mini spheres and things like that. I truly am a hammer person. It's my style of play to gather power and to wield it in order to impose my will whenever possible. I wear the villain crown with pride. 😘

41 minutes ago, Thalmor said:

Do you force allies to split after you force their government to change, or is that after? 

I know you're being cheeky, but it really depends on what the objective is and how thorough the victory is. This game is made to make it tougher to force people to accept such terms compared to others, so I wouldn't expect it to be the norm at all.

Edited by Kadin
  • Haha 1

@Kan0601is the new Hegemon. Praise be.

TCM3_1_281x175.png.d5f909d45f36d3dcb3722580e7b7ecc2.png
Coal Duke (Imperator Emeritus) of The Coal Mines
Diety Emeritus of The Immortals, Patres Conscripti (President Emeritus) of the Independent Republic of Orange Nations, Lieutenant Emeritus of Black Skies, Imperator Emeritus of the Valyrian Freehold, Imperator Emeritus of the Divine Phoenix, Prefect Emeritus of Carthago, Regent Emeritus of the New Polar Order

7 hours ago, Kadin said:

Oh, don't mistake me for one of those with a legitimate interest in mini spheres and things like that. I truly am a hammer stupid person. It's my style of play to gather power and to wield it in order to impose my will whenever possible. I wear the villain crown dunce cap with pride. 😘

FTFY fam. No one actually takes you seriously. Go off into your corner.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

Ever since people in this game worked out that city tiering was a useful thing to gather around, alliances have looked to form groupings that addressed that question in some way. Either you tried to make sure you had good coverage in every tier (or most of them), or you loaded up across a band and made sure you convincingly won there. This really is just MilCom and FA coming together to figure out something that will project power and accomplish the goals you want to do.

The tier list chart posted above more or less shows this at work. Two of the spheres have gone for the many low and mid nations route, but they have almost nothing in the 35+ range. Then there are four groupings that are mostly 25+, although their configurations each have some kind of distinction. There have been times when some configurations have been more broadly criticized; whether any action gets taken or not is a matter for people to decide upon.

In paradisum deducant te Angeli; in tuo adventu suscipiant te martyres, et perducant te in civitatem sanctam Ierusalem.
Chorus angelorum te suscipiat, et cüm Lazaro quondam paupere æternam habeas requiem.

Honestly anyone saying Midgard is a threat to the game is funny, we don’t own c35+ nations we can’t actually fight the c40 tiering wars. If you haven’t noticed this game revolves around the upper tier nations, reason why everyone wants to make super bloc with a lot of upper tier nations but try to justify it by having almost no c30 bellow nations saying their bloc is super small thus it isn’t a “super bloc”.

Also I would like to point out without this many nations within your aa you won’t make enough money to push tiering and grow to a mid or upper tier aa, newer aa would always be required to have more nations thus these aa who have similar tiering would sign each other for protection. You can’t sign someone who is 10 cities above your tiering and expect them to be able to help you.

Also you can’t just point fingers at Midgard if most of the upper tier bloc believe their bloc is full already and that they only want more c30+ nations instead of any lower tier nations then where does the rest of the lower tier aa go? If the game revolves around upper tier then making a wall in the mid tier to make sure you have protection is the only way to go. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Kan0601 said:

snip

Don't worry Kan, we all know your bloc isn't small, it's averaged sized with a great personality!!! 

• Haha 3

HEADERS_CTO12.png

Inform Zigbir I have forgotten how to edit the signature field
Please remind me how to do it post haste!

On 1/21/2023 at 7:40 PM, Thalmor said:

Midgard is pretty thick and girthy, but they don't have any cities.

Maybe I'm illiterate, but they have the most nations in every tier up til c35 in your chart. The myth that an advantage of like 10 c35+ while you completely lack a middle or lower tier to support it is somehow going to beat Midgard is laughable when it's abused to this point.

They also have the most cities in the game in total so both sides I don't see what you're seeing at all. They've proven a willingness to roll smaller spheres and now are consolidating every alliance in the game.

From personal experience - they don't just blanket beige or go inactive in their wars either like you might think. Underestimate Midgard at your own peril.

4 hours ago, Roberts said:

Underestimate Midgard at your own peril.

Why did this line arouse a small part of me that desires to start a villain arc? But nah... I don't feeeeeeeeeeel like it.

• Haha 1

Federation of Knox

Enlightened of Chaos, Event Horizon

QA Team and API Team