Why do most alliances need discord?

Because it is where the majority of the game's community is. It's a good platform for alliance leadership to communicate with members and for members to communicate with one another.

It's very easy to create a Discord account, though nobody can force you to make one (though many alliances won't accept you).

Federation of Knox

Enlightened of Chaos, Event Horizon

QA Team and API Team

Join the Knights Radiant, they require Slack @Fourthdimensionalgamers

• Haha 1

TCM3_1_281x175.png.d5f909d45f36d3dcb3722580e7b7ecc2.png
Coal Duke (Imperator Emeritus) of The Coal Mines
Diety Emeritus of The Immortals, Patres Conscripti (President Emeritus) of the Independent Republic of Orange Nations, Lieutenant Emeritus of Black Skies, Imperator Emeritus of the Valyrian Freehold, Imperator Emeritus of the Divine Phoenix, Prefect Emeritus of Carthago, Regent Emeritus of the New Polar Order

I don't have Discord either, and I've made it work, though it's been a bit difficult at times to effectively communicate. I do understand the need for communication between alliance members and for Foreign Affairs purposes, but I am the 2ic of my alliance and neither I nor our leader have Discord or are able to get it, so we've made do with our alliance announcements and in-game messaging, and our head of FA has Discord.

I would say that, while it makes sense that many alliances require Discord, it is definitely possible for an alliance to function with members who don't have it (Aeterna, for example, is a top-100 alliance that has a co-leader without Discord and functions quite well, and while T.A.I. may not be that large just yet, as we're still relatively new, we are doing just fine without requiring it). There should be a server available but not necessarily mandatory, I'd say, since it makes communication that much easier for those who have it, but requiring it makes this game rather inaccessible for those of us who do not.

• Upvote 1

Hello. I don't know what to put here right now.

I hope you're having a lovely day : )

A competent alliance will prefer members who are active on discord because it makes coordination a heck of a lot easier. For example, if you were running an alliance, would you rather have to log into the game and type up a private message or would it be easier to ping the member on discord and know that they will get the message and respond asap? I think the answer is fairly obvious.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Kadin said:

A competent alliance will prefer members who are active on discord because it makes coordination a heck of a lot easier. For example, if you were running an alliance, would you rather have to log into the game and type up a private message or would it be easier to ping the member on discord and know that they will get the message and respond asap? I think the answer is fairly obvious.

Adding onto this, in this game there are many times where instant communication is absolutely necessary. Consider wartime, when you need to be able to coordinate attacks in real-time. That kind of instant communication could make the difference in overpowering a stronger enemy, not getting your alliance bank looted, or deterring raiders. Discord also lets you create specialized channels with different permissions, which is useful if you want to create a confidential space for gov to discuss matters, or generally filter out casual conversation from important things like banking, city-building guides, etc.

Discord is certainly not the only solution - there are alternatives like Slack that do the job. But the point is forums or in-game communication just aren't "instant" enough, for a lack of a better term, to handle all the kinds of communication necessary to run an alliance well. It just so happens that most alliances use it, so for the sake of making communication between alliances more convenient, I would recommend it as the best choice.

2016/04/26 –

mIjXiMx.gif

Unreleased Bad Company advert, circa 2018

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...