Reduce Nuclear Impact on Food Production

Changeup

This is a fairly self-explanatory suggestion that should help combat food prices that have been consistently high for many months. The current effect radiation has on food production was implemented when only the largest nations had nukes, when the game was a fraction of the size, when food was only necessary for soldiers and population, and when nuclear winters were an extremely rare event.

Currently, "The amount that Food production is decreased by is equivalent to a nation's Radiation Index divided by 1000."

Switching the formula from Radiation Index/1000 to RI/1500 would reduce the effect that increasingly frequent interbloc wars have on food production, and would make supposed conspiracies to shut down global food production harder to pull off. It's a much needed move that allows the games economy to better match the current political meta.

I plan on writing a more comprehensive redesign of the nuclear system, with input from fellow players, at some point in the next few weeks. This is a band-aid solution of sorts to help lower food prices in the meantime.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 9

unknown_3_1_65.png

or... you could let the market dictate the cost.  since now that it is really high, a bunch more people are going to jump on the bandwagon, and the price will go back down. 

Or you could try to manipulate the market with new projects and watch food price plummet like raws plummeted after they released the raw project for new nations.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, BelgiumFury said:

No, no i don't like that idea at all actually.

You could explain why, but why do that when you/Rose people can just downvote and say "you don't like it"

EDIT: image.thumb.png.bff41752cded6953cb2166766e884375.png

Never mind, move along folks.

17 hours ago, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

or... you could let the market dictate the cost.  since now that it is really high, a bunch more people are going to jump on the bandwagon, and the price will go back down. 

Or you could try to manipulate the market with new projects and watch food price plummet like raws plummeted after they released the raw project for new nations.

This isn't a project, it's a slight mechanical change. It shouldn't have much effect on food production in peacetime but would reduce the effect of increasingly frequent major war. People can't really jump on the bandwagon when food production is impossible for long periods of time.

Edited by Changeup

unknown_3_1_65.png

I think occasional spikes in food price are fine. A month long war isn't that hard to plan for, and it's fair to reward the people who think ahead. If its an actual crisis of the game not having enough food imo it'd be better to boost peacetime production instead of wartime. Maybe add fishing. 

At the low point of the last HW war, there was still over 1 billion food in the game.  if you look at the graph, now that that war is over and global radiation is down, food is starting to increase again.  With that prices should start to decrease again.  Personally I think it makes the game more interesting to get crazy swings in the food market due to outside influences.  Its the only thing like it in the game, and to change it would be disappointing.

image.png.327c7a985645e174c2cb4c95c052f03a.png

Edited by Sweeeeet Ronny D
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/10/2022 at 11:22 PM, Changeup said:

You could explain why, but why do that when you/Rose people can just downvote and say "you don't like it"

usually I produce aluminium but I couldn't find (read i was too lazy) to find an optimized build after we had to mill up recently.

That being said I like there is some versitility in the food prices right now; and i like some people are keepign them high with wars it's good. Im sure they will go down again (because remember 6 months ago they were very much fine); it's going to be allright.

I'd like it if it was possible in some way to have other resources have similar complete crazyness. 

I mean... 1000 to 1500 doesn't seem to be tooooo big of a difference. Suppose I would have to see some math showing the difference before I decided whether or not to support this.

Federation of Knox

Enlightened of Chaos, Event Horizon

QA Team and API Team