Changing spy information to be public

Prefontaine

Should spy totals be public?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should spy totals be public?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/22 at 03:14 PM

Either make scrapping the count impossible or make spy counts public. I prefer the first option honestly. Though I agree the current system where ever single major alliance has access to spy counts via lagging the server needs to be fixed. 

• Upvote 2

This is yet another MA-related mechanic that has come under fire for being scuffed recently. Nowadays, most alliances can scrape how many spies and espionage odds.
Making spies public just makes them more easily accessible to others. However, I believe the largest recurring issue continues to be how easily the server can be crashed.
Making spy counts public may be a temporary solution to the current situation, but is not going to deter the servers from constantly crashing often.
The real questions though to consider: How is this change going to affect future globals via the spy war? Or will a more efficient system replace it in the future?

• Upvote 2

676912258_galaxybrain.webp.5c1275f9a627f0a3b84e6f73d163a6c5.webp

My opinion may not reflect those of my alliance or its affiliates. Please read at your own discretion.

9 hours ago, Vice said:

While your at it, let’s go ahead and make everyone’s day change setting and holdings on their nation public as well. 

lol. The best spies are those who are hidden in plain sight! 

Let's make API keys, emails, and passwords public so uh "botters can make easy use of them" ye!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JadenStar10 said:

Code the game better so people cant find the spies through scrapes.

My thoughts exactly. Not sure why this wouldn't be the solution. 

• Upvote 2

Well, I guess it's time for firwof to crawl out of his sobbing corner this year to downvote without reading.

I've argued with Alex in the past that the information should just be made public.  There's many reasons this benefits everyone involved, though everyone will weigh them differently.  So I'll lay them out in the order they come to mind instead of trying to organize them meaningfully.

1.) Balances the field for smaller alliances.  Sure many people consider this a con, and I'm among them, but it's still a benefit for many alliances who do not have their own tech departments and therefore rely on sketchily coded bots that accidentally steal your entire bank, or restrict your access to them on a whim of the owner and their cronies.
2.) It makes already public information public in a controlled manor.  Alex can do whatever he wishes to try and hide the spy formula, all it really takes is 1 person not selfishly using the code for themselves to just set up a public sheet for everyone in the game to see everyone elses spies, even if Alex implemented the 1k$ cost, I honestly just see this becoming the method of moving forward.  All the major AAs just pool their funds into a central sheet, because funding a self-detrimental sheet is still better than having no information at all in wartime.
3.) Spies.  Are.  Worthless.  (Sorry Rose, I know this is a personal attack).  The vast majority of alliances, including top 10s can not coordinate the level of sophisticated strikes required to take advantage of a victorious spy war to turn a losing war into a stalemate.  It took the collective efforts of more than half the game to accomplish this in any meaningful way.
4.) Just.  Make.  Spies.  Public.,  God.

> Can. You. Use. More. Periods. Please.  - inb4 krampus

• Upvote 6

Former leader of Chocolate Castle 4/1/2021

"It's pretty easy to get abused by Rosey without being a weirdo about it" - Betilius

"Rosey is everything I look for in a fighter" - partisan

"I’m very much not surprised that Lossi has you blocked tbh" - @MCMaster-095

18 hours ago, Prefontaine said:

Simple question, should the number of spies a player has be viewable like other unit types? This used to be the case, but was changed to add increased secrecy to spies. Due to data collection and bots though, most of this information is accessible to those players with access to that data collection.  

Why not make everything private, add some mystery to blitzing? Kill military score and let everyone just hit blindly/ make it so Intel reveals troops. and get rid of chances on spy's.

Irl nations don't always boost units why should we

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Malleator said:

As a temporary fix? Sure make them public, but it would be nice to see a longer term solution that introduces more fog of war that can't be calculated

Sheepy's code has a built in fog of war, you never know just what will break each new war.

• Haha 6

Spy data shouldn't be visible and should be impossible to get from an API call, unless you do the Gather Intelligence spy operation. RP-wise, it makes sense for anything involving intelligence involving some level of secrecy. Plus, I bet making it hard to get without that might make the game more balanced.

On 8/5/2022 at 9:47 AM, Kosta said:

My thoughts exactly. Not sure why this wouldn't be the solution. 

The only way to do it would be to basically remove all indicators of spies from the game. Aka, no spy odds etc.

• Upvote 2

[11:52 PM] Prefontaine: But Keegoz is actually bad. [11:52 PM] Prefontaine: He's my favorite bad leader though.

No, because it allows people to buy back spies in secret without being sat on.  Or rather, that should be the intention.

Remove the ability to spam calls to the server for spy information.  Bots shouldn't be controlling the game.

• Upvote 1

• Prefontaine unfeatured, unpinned and locked this topic