War is Broken

Denison

Rush brought up a suggestion in RON about just reverting back to the older war system or reworking it.  

It just needs to be addressed by Alex. 

Edited by Monti
  • Upvote 1

image.png?ex=65f5ac05&is=65e33705&hm=2cdc4b7e28777e34caf37f251fded716f2beb4178c3e91687d866b47cd329bac&=

I should add in that right now, Alex's top priority is turning war tactics that have been commonplace for years into bannable offenses. Those bugs have been incredibly commonplace for several weeks and he's issuing moderation strikes for nuke suicides, which are the only way to even close the damage gap after you've lost a conventional war.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

unknown_3_1_65.png

27 minutes ago, Denison said:

The war system in Politics and War is utterly broken at the moment. Over the last 24 hours I have seen it only get worse. Some I know have compared it to the sinking of the Titanic, although laughable it almost seems true. I will list below just the bugs so far that I have seen or encountered over the last few weeks, many of which occurring within the last couple of days. 

• No new map at day change for myself, but a new map for my enemies
  • When you do a beige snipe you get an extra map from the turn before even though you declared this turn
  • Someone who had two wars on the same person
    unknown.png
    https://politicsandwar.com/nation/id=60760&display=war
  • An absolutely bugged war timeline in regards to the new feature Alex added the other day, just look at the time stamps
    image.png.88f940d7b12b6c73ec419f01ef31ae1d.png
  • Being able to use maps past 12 saved(5 airstrikes(20 maps) at once is the most I've experienced)
  • An instance where maps were conjured out of thin air and I was beiged because of it. This was not the map bug where they sat on 12 maps for a long period, they had 0 after they nuked(used 4 navals(16 maps) within 13 turns of launching a nuke)
    https://politicsandwar.com/nation/war/timeline/war=1378717

I for one am demoralized. Once a fan of war and a proponent of it, I feel myself wanting to stop or simply delete my nation. The amount of bugs and as a result stress I have dealt with because of this are just something I would not expect from a game that has this very concept included in its title. My most accurate comparison for this feeling would be the stress or anger someone feels as a result of their internet lagging in a competitive online game. This is not a dig at the moderators or developers who are seemingly doing their best to solve the above problems, but what they are doing is just a band aid solution, individually going in and fixing wars. Alex needs to seriously take lead and solve these issues from wherever they source, as I fear many players will soon leave the game if this continues or even gets worse as I expect it will. I did not want to make this thread because I hate to feel that I have undermined those who I have spoken to, however this needed to be said publicly and I think there needs to be a place where people can openly post war bugs that they have experienced in hopes of finding some sort of solution faster. It is my hope that this thread will serve as just that. If you have experienced a bug not listed or if you just want to cope(like vein), please post below.

Just gonna leave that there since apparently there's a bug that doesn't register air superiority?

Also ha I've done 7 GA's in a row before, which costs 21 MAPs. 20 MAPs is rookie numbers in this racket!

Edited by SleepingNinja
  • Thanks 1

image.png?ex=65f5acc8&is=65e337c8&hm=1606ce00348e48cf652f897b3bc05280d703dba4c8d18f7b009ab2ca44a5283b&

16 minutes ago, Monti said:

Rush brought up a suggestion in RON about just reverting back to the older war system or reworking it.  

This new map tallying thing should just be ditched entirely. Other than for the fact that it's so undercooked that it may get you food poisoning, it's simply a flood of pointless information to have an entry for every MAP generated. 

• Upvote 6

G3.gif.d8066d8dc749ad2d0835fe69095fa73b.gif

7 minutes ago, Shiho Nishizumi said:

This new map tallying thing should just be ditched entirely. Other than for the fact that it's so undercooked that it may get you food poisoning, it's simply a flood of pointless information to have an entry for every MAP generated. 

Rush/Village said the map history thing doesn't interact with the war itself/map generation. But, I still don't know why its gotten worse since then. 

image.png?ex=65f5ac05&is=65e33705&hm=2cdc4b7e28777e34caf37f251fded716f2beb4178c3e91687d866b47cd329bac&=

31 minutes ago, Hobbs said:

I'm a personal fan of the feature where attacks don't cost any MAP's but still do damage.

it's a feature. perfectly intended. no, it just works.

i feel this should've been in the test server longer. maybe implemented multiple times too just to see if any bugs would emerge. (This is totally one of those things that would prob cause bugs on implimentation.)

8 minutes ago, Monti said:

Rush/Village said the map history thing doesn't interact with the war itself/map generation. But, I still don't know why its gotten worse since then. 

I'm aware that the ghost MAP issue existed prior to it, but it certainly seems like this brought it to the fore. I don't know if it's because they managed to link it to e/a other unintentionally, or if by adding a superfluous mechanic they overburdened a script that already wasn't working properly.

Whichever it is that got implemented, it's quite obvious that it hilariously !@#$ed with the war mechanics for no value added.

• Upvote 1

G3.gif.d8066d8dc749ad2d0835fe69095fa73b.gif

• Wiki Mod
53 minutes ago, Krampus said:

These are not bugs. These are merely surprise features, like Kinder-eggs or lootboxes.

On a serious note, I agree 100%. The fact that things have gotten this worse imo only shows with how little regard the community of this game are viewed. We're heading down a CN like path, with neglect by the admins. 

I find it funny how Alex's old code was less buggy than this. How can a feature that worked flawlessly in the past break so suddenly? Revert to the old system, the one that worked

The irony here is alex has been increasing his time and financial investment in the game. And which old system are you suggesting we revert too?

51 minutes ago, Monti said:

It just needs to be addressed by Alex. 

I'm not sure where I said this? I did mention in terms of mechanics the option redesigning the war system. Village and Alex are separately considering rewriting the code for the existing system entirely. And also half jokingly/ half seriously rewiting the entire game in a totally different language.

32 minutes ago, Shiho Nishizumi said:

See below

24 minutes ago, Monti said:

The map tally system is basically meant as an admin tool to help sort out the actual map bugs. It is attempting to back words engineer the map history for a war separate of the actual records. It's predictive of what should be not what actually it is. It's also currently expected to be on the buggy side, it was released in an alpha state because of how severe some of the other issues where and it was needed now.

Edited by Dr Rush
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

Wars are an important component in this game. It's even in its title name. However, again and again, the same issues with MAPs keep showing up.
Sure, there are other new changes that will be released soon. But perhaps this time, finding a more effective solution to these war MAPs issues that continue to be apparent in every conflict that occurs should be the way to go.

676912258_galaxybrain.webp.5c1275f9a627f0a3b84e6f73d163a6c5.webp

My opinion may not reflect those of my alliance or its affiliates. Please read at your own discretion.

• Wiki Mod
10 minutes ago, Key said:

Wars are an important component in this game. It's even in its title name. However, again and again, the same issues with MAPs keep showing up.
Sure, there are other new changes that will be released soon. But perhaps this time, finding a more effective solution to these war MAPs issues that continue to be apparent in every conflict that occurs should be the way to go.

Alex is fully aware of how important war is and how bad the map issue is. He and 3 other devs have spent literally 100s of dev hours trying to fix it to no avail. It is unfortunately the worst type of bug to fix. It can not be reproduced on demand and only a couple of requirements for it to happen are even known. It's only on the live game and only during globals so chances to test fixes are few and far between and come with the risk of breaking the game in a critical time frame.

• Haha 1

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

• Wiki Mod

Also specific to the double war bug. Since people seem particularly concerned about that. It's unfortunately not new either, it is however exceedingly rare and in all likely hood the same issue as whats driving the maps problem.

As far as new bugs go the issue with the extra map if you attack right after dc but before maps have been given will be fixed as soon as the next patch gets pushed live that fixes snorlax and some other issues. As a follow up me and village currently suspect that some people not getting maps in a war is actually a validation script fixing the extra map in wars where the dc declare issue happened.

Edited by Dr Rush

1 hour ago, Dr Rush said:

The irony here is alex has been increasing his time and financial investment in the game. And which old system are you suggesting we revert too?

I'm not sure where I said this? I did mention in terms of mechanics the option redesigning the war system. Village and Alex are separately considering rewriting the code for the existing system entirely. And also half jokingly/ half seriously rewiting the entire game in a totally different language.

See below

The map tally system is basically meant as an admin tool to help sort out the actual map bugs. It is attempting to back words engineer the map history for a war separate of the actual records. It's predictive of what should be not what actually it is. It's also currently expected to be on the buggy side, it was released in an alpha state because of how severe some of the other issues where and it was needed now.

I might have misread.. Sorry 😅

1 hour ago, Dr Rush said:

Also specific to the double war bug. Since people seem particularly concerned about that. It's unfortunately not new either, it is however exceedingly rare and in all likely hood the same issue as whats driving the maps problem.

As far as new bugs go the issue with the extra map if you attack right after dc but before maps have been given will be fixed as soon as the next patch gets pushed live that fixes snorlax and some other issues. As a follow up me and village currently suspect that some people not getting maps in a war is actually a validation script fixing the extra map in wars where the dc declare issue happened.

Something really jumps out about this statement....like a click in the background. Interesting 🤔