Implement Pending Changes Before End of War?

Prefontaine

Changes Mid-War  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Should Non-Naval changes be implemented now?

• Yes
    • No

Please vote if you're okay with NON-NAVY changes being implemented, new projects, QoL, Embargoes, and Trades that are ready to go from Test Server to Live as they finish their testing phase. Now that the opening round(s) chaos of the global are toned down, updates run less of a risk impacting coordinated war efforts now. 

Edited by Prefontaine
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

scSqPGJ.gif

• Prefontaine changed the title to Implement Pending Changes Before End of War?
  • Prefontaine pinned this topic

So the list would be:

- Max 3 trades limitation (the merging thing already exists)

- Metropolitan planning project (c21+ discount)

-PWPedia rewrite

- Allow commas and $ in number inputs

- Baseball income cap and other changes

- Fallout Shelter Project

- Military Salvage Project

- Nation deletion resource splitting

- Ally trade indicator

- Alliance embargoes

- Updated treaty web

- Merging alliance trades into global market

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hey Krampus, the signature edit is under account settings. Actually, here's the link.

https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/settings/signature/

17 minutes ago, zigbigadorlou said:

So the list would be:

- Max 3 trades limitation (the merging thing already exists)

- Metropolitan planning project (c21+ discount)

-PWPedia rewrite

- Allow commas and $ in number inputs

- Baseball income cap and other changes

- Fallout Shelter Project

- Military Salvage Project

- Nation deletion resource splitting

- Ally trade indicator

- Alliance embargoes

- Updated treaty web

- Merging alliance trades into global market

Not 100% of that list is fully ready. but a decent chunk. I think when the war happened a "Ooo don't need to rush these out to meet the deadline" vibe happened 😛

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 3

scSqPGJ.gif

I'd rather if you plan something weeks/months in advance to drop, you just do it even if there is a war.

We need something to scream and meme about. I just want to not see an excuse for why development is held up. And if the concern is over some catastrophic mess up; then the changes aren't ready anyway/you should have backups and we can do a rollback of a number of days.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, KiWilliam said:

I'd rather if you plan something weeks/months in advance to drop, you just do it even if there is a war.

We need something to scream and meme about. I just want to not see an excuse for why development is held up. And if the concern is over some catastrophic mess up; then the changes aren't ready anyway/you should have backups and we can do a rollback of a number of days.

I think pushing war updates during a global isn't great but anything else is fair game.

• Upvote 1

[11:52 PM] Prefontaine: But Keegoz is actually bad. [11:52 PM] Prefontaine: He's my favorite bad leader though.

1 hour ago, Keegoz said:

I think pushing war updates during a global isn't great but anything else is fair game.

It's not ideal, but putting this up to vote feels disingenuous when they specifically call out the exemption for the naval changes.

If it helps them emotionally to get community feedback, my one vote will mean nothing, but I'd opt for updates regardless if it removes the excuse. And if it's planned for an exact date (not something that was done) to drop, for example August 1st, I think that would be relatively fair. Better solution would be to just update as soon as the war is over/they are confident the update won't cause significant issues and it has been properly tested.

9 minutes ago, KiWilliam said:

It's not ideal, but putting this up to vote feels disingenuous when they specifically call out the exemption for the naval changes.

If it helps them emotionally to get community feedback, my one vote will mean nothing, but I'd opt for updates regardless if it removes the excuse. And if it's planned for an exact date (not something that was done) to drop, for example August 1st, I think that would be relatively fair. Better solution would be to just update as soon as the war is over/they are confident the update won't cause significant issues and it has been properly tested.

Some votes that are put up are genuine to gauge the communities feelings on things. I know in the dev team we often have multiple ideas of how to fix an issue but like to see which one the community feels the most comfortable with.

This one I guess is to see whether players are happy to break with tradition and see the changes that aren't warfare related (and ready to go live) implemented.

I don't think we'll ever see a military update go through during a high amount of wars, otherwise we probably run the real risk of game wide rollback if it broke too much. Rather than Alex individually fixing those affected on a much smaller scale.

[11:52 PM] Prefontaine: But Keegoz is actually bad. [11:52 PM] Prefontaine: He's my favorite bad leader though.

What Keegoz said is largely correct. We typically do not release updates during a war unless it's a bug fix. There have been some exceptions in the past with respect to extremely log wars, but the general MO has been to not change the game during a conflict. This poll is to see if people are okay with breaking from that now that the war is relatively decided. We had a fair bit of content to roll out a couple days after this war stated but put it on hold. 

With respect to the idea that we should make sure things are rigorously coded and bug proofed before it rolls out, efforts are made to do that. Everything that comes through my group hits the test server before going live. The QA group is very active and very helpful. Even Triple A studios released bugged content and we're a tiny little team of largely armatures in this respect. Bugs and mistakes will happen. We don't want to see them happen in a war where a roll back may be needed and really screw things up politically/tactically. This is why we don't want to take the chance.

I take this seriously, I know Village and Alex do as well. Most people in the volunteer teams do as well. We've taken steps to improve the processes of new content and changes all around, and continue to. Part of that is community polls like this one. 

scSqPGJ.gif

semi regular reminder that alliance controlled embargoes bad @Alex... still have no idea why you allowed this through...i guess everyone else giving up and certain other people whispering in your ear over the years broke it down

On 7/14/2022 at 5:00 AM, Prefontaine said:

we're ... largely armatures

you ... arent wrong

https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/topic/27593-let-alliances-embargo/&do=findComment&comment=460713unknown.png
rah rah baseball

rawr

Edited by katashimon13
rawr
  • Haha 2

• Developer
14 hours ago, katashimon13 said:

semi regular reminder that alliance controlled embargoes bad @Alex... still have no idea why you allowed this through...i guess everyone else giving up and certain other people whispering in your ear over the years broke it down

Nations can opt out of any embargo on their alliance's embargo page, it's a simple button click.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Village said:

Nations can opt out of any embargo on their alliance's embargo page, it's a simple button click.

i am aware of how it works and its "simplicity"

that is the last option or at least it was...

we have skipped everything in between to address embargoes

just because its possible/easier to implement? and was misrepresented in the QoL compilation thread (by a supporter) does not mean it actually had any level of unanimous support in any of the threads where it has been brought up

i am definitely for and have been for a better system (tracking management etc etc) but giving all power away to the few AND have it be opt out is way too far

these games are fueled by and live on interpersonal interaction this is just leaders avoiding dealing with members it is not an ease of access issue ....else the other things would have been implemented/pushed for prior

as ive stated before the option should not be there at all and there -should- be effort involved in rallying troops whether it be militarily economically or culturally

rawr

12 hours ago, Anri said:

So with an overwhleming yes when can we actually expect this to be added?

I'm trying to coordinate with @Alex and @Village for it to go live before Wednesday. I don't control that and as usual, cannot make promises.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

scSqPGJ.gif