Design Team Discussion, April 2022

Prefontaine

I'll be honest, I was disappointed with the new Dark Theme given how Alex paid for a dark theme. If possible, I would want a dark mode that looks like this: 

Screenshot_20220404-201845_Chrome.jpg

I would post more pics in the official discord server 

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Malleator said:

These are all great; therefore, will never be implemented

Could not have said it better. It's all good and well to have all these good ideas, but you actually have to implement them. There is a list of great suggestions and ideas in the other subforum that have not been implemented. 

Edited by Kosta
Grammer
  • Upvote 2

All those changes certainly look interesting.

13 hours ago, Prefontaine said:

-Advise on ideal infra levels, land levels, resources to produce (or better yet ones to not), avoiding certain commerce, power plants, etc...

I am a little bit unsure about advising new players on infra levels, I would probably prefer it if you left that to the alliances to decide or just gave very broad suggestions.

The reason being that the best infra level depends on many of the alliance's decisions. One of them being the city count at which the alliance is going to (and should) recommend them to stay at to raid. Other factors such as mmr would also influence the infra level at which newbies should stay.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Johnson Boris said:

All those changes certainly look interesting.

I am a little bit unsure about advising new players on infra levels, I would probably prefer it if you left that to the alliances to decide or just gave very broad suggestions.

The reason being that the best infra level depends on many of the alliance's decisions. One of them being the city count at which the alliance is going to (and should) recommend them to stay at to raid. Other factors such as mmr would also influence the infra level at which newbies should stay.

I think infra should be in the tutorial. Having suggested infrastructure levels may help, as the alliances and the tutorial should be somewhat aiming for the same thing. As said, you get to choose what style of alliance you what, which should cater for the infra.

Edited by LachlanPnW
Clarification

Serpentis? More like Serpenis

6 hours ago, Johnson Boris said:

or just maybe make a tutorial for the different types of ways you can grow, like having a tutorial for pirates, one for pixelhuggers, and one for a mix 😛

• Haha 1

Bosun of The Dead Rabbits of 5P

On 4/4/2022 at 11:26 AM, Prefontaine said:

Tutorial Update

This is a long time coming, and still in its infancy. If you have interest in joining the tutorial team please let me know with either a DM on discord or here. The change should be self explanatory, to make a better tutorial but the focus is this:

-Design a system that guides the player from city 1-10
-Advise on ideal infra levels, land levels, resources to produce (or better yet ones to not), avoiding certain commerce, power plants, etc...
-A simulated NPC nation to declare a test war on to explain the war system.
-Suggest joining alliances based player desire (growth, raiding, war, learning, etc...)
-These may be tags alliances can utilize to attract new players they want. Arrgh may want raiders. eS may want growth, etc...

Just an overview.

At this point in the game I personally think we should tack on all new nations starting with 10 cities.

3 hours ago, roberts said:

At this point in the game I personally think we should tack on all new nations starting with 10 cities.

This might be a better idea; or at least more than one. If 10 is too radical 5 might be it. 

10 minutes ago, BelgiumFury said:

This might be a better idea; or at least more than one. If 10 is too radical 5 might be it. 

I would like the c5 better since that is prime raiding tier although if we do c10 the meme of the bad c10 will become even more real.

Why are you reading this.

While it’s not confirmed yet, I’m going to be lobbying for some tutorial rewards to be a city. 

8 hours ago, Norse said:

or just maybe make a tutorial for the different types of ways you can grow, like having a tutorial for pirates, one for pixelhuggers, and one for a mix 😛

The tutorial will not force anyone to play a certain way, simply give this suggestions of standard ways of playing what what they look like. Additionally, hopefully help nations pair with like minded alliances for play style. 

scSqPGJ.gif

On 4/5/2022 at 1:26 AM, Prefontaine said:

snip

Most players who join an alliance tend to already have pretty in-depth academies, mentoring systems, etc to guide them through the mechanics of the game. I do feel that improvements to the in game tutorial would be good, though I'm sceptical of the impartiality of suggesting alliances based on tags or suggesting Infra builds etc by the game itself. Since what could be considered a responsible Infra level can vary between alliances. The practice NPC nation seems like a good idea though.

On 4/5/2022 at 1:27 AM, Prefontaine said:

snip

Would the 3rd tier of UP/AUP have a scaling cost reduction/project cost as well? Not really sure I like the refunding resources during war project. There's already a glut of resources in the game... reducing war as the one major way to cull resource totals seems like a mistake and will only increase the effects of resources flooding the market. 

On 4/5/2022 at 1:40 AM, Prefontaine said:

snip

This 100%. Happened to me hundreds of times when a pesky comma has messed up a bank transaction. Bonus points for the alliance trade colouring, deleted nation resource distribution to attackers and bulk import improvements all sorely needed.

Wouldn't giving the option for members to opt out of embargoes just lessen the impact of the feature?

Edited by Sphinx
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Sphinx said:

Wouldn't giving the option for members to opt out of embargoes just lessen the impact of the feature?

It would and I think that's the whole point; we want to give normal people more of a say in what they do and give them some autonomy.
That being said; if an alliance really wants to be an absolute wussy alliance that puts embargoes on its own members, you can enforce it like you enforce nation color or any other metric.

On 4/4/2022 at 4:40 PM, Prefontaine said:

Allow for the "$" and commas to be ignored when inputting values and/or allow for k,m,b to be used to send cash/resources (i.e. 1m instead of 1000000 to send 1 million food).

This also needs applying to in game calculators as commas currently mess them up.

Edited by Galerion
  • Upvote 2

On 4/5/2022 at 9:38 PM, Prefontaine said:

While it’s not confirmed yet, I’m going to be lobbying for some tutorial rewards to be a city.

I think that would be a shame and I'll give a few reasons:

1. The most addictive city count is the super low city count. Allowing player to grow quickly early helps the game's overall engagement and gets them addicted.

2. It also takes no time to reach c5 in comparison to the crazy lengths of the game and having this growth period helps somewhat mitigate the crazy slope in the city growth curve.

3. TKR tiers at c3 to raid and with the new city score changes c2 may be even better to stay at to raid. Cities=bad for mones.

4. I think it would be a design flaw to start giving cities or projects are rewards, it is better to follow an uniform dynamic by which the player gets resources and then has to decide what to use them for, trying to figure out what is most efficient. I think it would be a much better mechanic to give them almost the exact amount it takes to buy c3 instead of just giving them the city so as to carry on with the process described above.