Development Team Update, January 2022.

Prefontaine

If you have 13/14 Project Slots, and then purchase Research and Development Center, you gain *an additional net slot*, meaning, you now have 14/16 slots.

Or, for a more clear example, if you are maxed on project slots, you could destroy a resource project, put this new project in, get your resource project back, as well as another project.

Edited by His Holy Decagon
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Prefontaine said:

Every Turn the nation gets 1 raw resource for each raw resource they can mine besides food (based on a chart found Here) This bonus increases for every 2 cities they have up to 10. This Project no longer functions above 15 cities. 

I still do not understand why you keep saying "for each raw resource they can mine". It is 3. It is always 3. So its 3 raws for every 2 cities. 

• Upvote 1

Hey Krampus, the signature edit is under account settings. Actually, here's the link.

https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/settings/signature/

r8QKk93.png

• Haha 3

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

i see we are trying to fix alu and... buff food some more??? remind me why we need more demand for food???
on that topic how do we deal with updates that were kinda influenced by people cheating in resources/cash and ruining the balance that way?

2 hours ago, Prefontaine said:
  • bulleted lists

1 FINALLLY

2 y not more than 1 treasure? 😧

3 i will withold my yay till math

4 does this come with a new subscription model and discounts

5: all of these... lower food costs up alu costs unless ur planning on increasing demand for alu in other militaristic ways soon xP
tbh would prefer to see more mechanics that require people to specialize and work together more as a result

gsa.... see alu profit per improvement.... mechanics are w/e

fix language for RDC to be very very clear

nice cut off RPC at 16 to synch up w and encourage AUP ;3

rawr

4 hours ago, zigbigadorlou said:

I still do not understand why you keep saying "for each raw resource they can mine". It is 3. It is always 3. So its 3 raws for every 2 cities. 

I think they did it to specify that it's not just three random raw resources, but specifically the ones that they would have access to mining on their continent.

4 hours ago, Malal said:

r8QKk93.png

I'm so glad someone made this a meme lol

Federation of Knox

Enlightened of Chaos, Event Horizon

QA Team and API Team

7 hours ago, Prefontaine said:

Credit redemption caps are being increased from 10 -> 20 per month

Why??? Just why??? Is Alex trying to get more greedy despite updating the game once every blue moon?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Redarmy said:

Does data suggest that people stop making raw at C16? Just wondering why it stops working at 16.. 

It's specifically meant to help producers at lower city levels without totally breaking resource markets at whale tiers. It's intended to do nothing for C16+

Two things -- 

1. Alliance leadership roles on test server are far from being finished testing, off the top of my head I can still name like four or five bugs that still occur and probably lots more undetected

2. The fact that new players who don't have a clue about the game can now essentially grow from C1 to C20 within the first month from credit cap increase bothers me greatly

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Salvarity said:

So to clarify, if I build this, I get to build two more projects? 

Say I'm city whatever and I use slot 20 to build this, then slot 21 and 22 become available? 

Or do I only get slot 21.

nvm answered above

You will get 2 slots with this project

I'm going to address the Credit related concerns in one go.

First, lets look at the math. Credits if exclusively used for in game money go from 20M - 25M each, using 20 a month for a whole year nets the player 4.8B - 6B, or ~13M - ~16.5M a day. This is less than the daily cash-only income of a 30+ in many regards. Alliances and players boost up nations all the time, this method just doesn't required an alliance funding the player or knowing someone that's been around.

Second, this game is two things, free to play, and is the primary income for its creator. Over the years I've seen many comments that are along the lines of "Alex isn't great, but he's engaged with the community and he tries. He's better than most admins in these games". Alex listens to feedback (these days :P), and tries to give you what you want. He also has hired a coder, independent moderators, increased advertisement (which has increased game activity https://politicsandwar.com/world-graphs/graphID=0), and upgraded the servers which didn't crash in the last couple blitzes. All of these things cost money while little has been done to increase revenue. Obviously the increase in players does increase the likelihood of a donating playing joining the fold, but the amount of players that donate is staggeringly low. Which is fine, but these are the players that make this game possible for people to play it for free. While this increase will benefit those players, the game benefit isn't breaking and still has a ceiling. There's a growing number of C40+ nations who's income is 22B+ a year, or around 60M - 70M a day. If a player was already max donating for a year, this change merely increases the ability to duplicate a C40+'s income from 11% -> 22%

The trade off boils down to are you willing to have players able to gain more money, that's still a fraction of what the larger nations make, by spending real money in exchange for better functioning servers, moderators that aren't bias from being players themselves, more frequent and better coded updates, more advertisement that hopefully continues to grow our player base, or not?

• Like 1

scSqPGJ.gif

Pre's Credit Explanation

You make some very good points here and I appreciate it. Personally, I did not realize that this was Alex's primary income source. I appreciate everything Alex does for this community and respect him for what he has created here, so I honestly can't be mad if he needs the extra revenue for boosting the game and just to actually live a decent live. Thank you for the perspective on the issue. :)

Perhaps those who oppose the credit issue can be constructive and provide possible alternatives to generate revenue?

• Like 1

Federation of Knox

Enlightened of Chaos, Event Horizon

QA Team and API Team

14 minutes ago, Justinian the Great said:

-Snip-

Bugs get handled in a timely fashion. New content is slow, sure, but we don't want the rushed changes of years gone by either. You state your main problem is that this is a cash grab, even calling it scummy. I've also stated that money which has been made has been increasingly invested back into the game, especially over the last two years. You state that credit value should be increased, but you yourself state you don't think that'd actually do anything to generate more revenue. You mention cosmetics so that older players will buy them, but if I wanted credits I'd simply buy them off the market and have since they were sold on the market.

What alternatives do you suggest that would actually work? 

An alternative that I don't like is removing them from purchase in game, or make it so they're only purchasable at a market mark-up. Players only make 25% of what a credit goes for on the market, this means to get 25M for selling a credit on the market it would go for 100M on the market. 

If there is to be better coding, better moderation, better servers, better advertisements to draw in players something needs to be changed to increase income into the game. 

I'm all ears. 

• Downvote 2

scSqPGJ.gif

On 1/26/2022 at 6:29 AM, Prefontaine said:

I'm going to address the Credit related concerns in one go.

First, lets look at the math. Credits if exclusively used for in game money go from 20M - 25M each, using 20 a month for a whole year nets the player 4.8B - 6B, or ~13M - ~16.5M a day. This is less than the daily cash-only income of a 30+ in many regards. Alliances and players boost up nations all the time, this method just doesn't required an alliance funding the player or knowing someone that's been around.

Second, this game is two things, free to play, and is the primary income for its creator. Over the years I've seen many comments that are along the lines of "Alex isn't great, but he's engaged with the community and he tries. He's better than most admins in these games". Alex listens to feedback (these days :P), and tries to give you what you want. He also has hired a coder, independent moderators, increased advertisement (which has increased game activity https://politicsandwar.com/world-graphs/graphID=0), and upgraded the servers which didn't crash in the last couple blitzes. All of these things cost money while little has been done to increase revenue. Obviously the increase in players does increase the likelihood of a donating playing joining the fold, but the amount of players that donate is staggeringly low. Which is fine, but these are the players that make this game possible for people to play it for free. While this increase will benefit those players, the game benefit isn't breaking and still has a ceiling. There's a growing number of C40+ nations who's income is 22B+ a year, or around 60M - 70M a day. If a player was already max donating for a year, this change merely increases the ability to duplicate a C40+'s income from 11% -> 22%

The trade off boils down to are you willing to have players able to gain more money, that's still a fraction of what the larger nations make, by spending real money in exchange for better functioning servers, moderators that aren't bias from being players themselves, more frequent and better coded updates, more advertisement that hopefully continues to grow our player base, or not?

I think the issue is not about funding the game to keep the servers alive. I support users being able to spend money to support the game and to get a little boost from it, I used to buy credits myself. But in my opinion, it's the fact that the line between pay to win, and free to play has moved closer to the pay to win side. I'm not saying that the game is at that point now, you can still grow your nation without that feeling that you need credits to catch up with your peers. But will this be the last time that Alex increases the credit cap? Because what if it happens again? What if a year later you can now redeem 30 credits? And that starts pushing into pay to win territory. And that's one of the big reasons why I don't play free to play games, It's because they usually are pay to win. And that's why I believe that most people are worried about this credit cap increase. I still don't think that we are in pay to win territory, but I think a line needs to be drawn on the credit cap. 

Edited by darkblade
  • Upvote 4

image.png.6f019fcf718af1be5dd853e510616a8c.png

Bugs get handled in a timely fashion. New content is slow, sure, but we don't want the rushed changes of years gone by either. You state your main problem is that this is a cash grab, even calling it scummy. I've also stated that money which has been made has been increasingly invested back into the game, especially over the last two years. You state that credit value should be increased, but you yourself state you don't think that'd actually do anything to generate more revenue. You mention cosmetics so that older players will buy them, but if I wanted credits I'd simply buy them off the market and have since they were sold on the market.

What alternatives do you suggest that would actually work? 

An alternative that I don't like is removing them from purchase in game, or make it so they're only purchasable at a market mark-up. Players only make 25% of what a credit goes for on the market, this means to get 25M for selling a credit on the market it would go for 100M on the market. 

If there is to be better coding, better moderation, better servers, better advertisements to draw in players something needs to be changed to increase income into the game. 

I'm all ears. 

I think alternative means of monetization without affecting game balance could be implemented.

I'm not trying to tell you I have a business plan for Alex in my back pocket, but at the same time I am voicing my opinion that this change would be unpopular and, in my opinion, the wrong decision to make for PnW as a community and a company.

As stated on discord privately to Alex, I don't mean my post to be a "gotcha" roast or another takedown of a development thread. This is sincere feedback and I am more than happy to help Alex brainstorm alternative means of boosting donations or even non-donation means of monetizing PnW.

I really enjoy this game and this community and I don't want to see it ruined.

• Upvote 4

instead of credit maybe add like you can instantly buy 12 cities before the timer starts, that change from 5 to 10 was good, at some point we will need to up it again since we are close to reaching a good amount of players at c35 and above. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, darkblade said:

I think the issue is not about funding the game to keep the servers alive. I support users being able to spend money to support the game and to get a little boost from it, I used to buy credits myself. But in my opinion, it's the fact that the line between pay to win, and free to play has moved closer to the pay to win side. I'm not saying that the game is at that point now, you can still grow your nation without that feeling that you need credits to catch up with your peers. But will this be the last time that Alex increases the credit cap? Because what if it happens again? What if a year later you can now redeem 30 credits? And that starts pushing into pay to win territory. And that's one of the big reasons why I don't play free to play games, It's because they usually are pay to win. And that's why I believe that most people are worried about this credit cap increase. I still don't think that we are in pay to win territory, but I think a line needs to be drawn on the credit cap. 

I can't speak to the future, but we can look at the past. It's been what, 5-6 years or more since credits came into being? As far as I can remember it's always been 10 credit caps. The $ amount has gone up for in game rewards but has been at 20M base for quite a bit now. I think the city idea Kan just posted isn't bad, but I'd have to check with Alex on the analytics of how frequently new players buy credits, then also a number of cities that makes it worth while versus just cashing in the credits. The biggest problem with credits is the impact on lower tier warfare. Players can very easily declare wars and massive city counts with credits after having their defensive slots fill. 

Limiters like not being able to cash in credits above 10 while in an active war could be something.

What do people think about a trial period? A couple months of allowing higher credit caps and we can monitor closely the use them and if the result is as bad as people fear?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

scSqPGJ.gif