New Project: Resource Production

Prefontaine

• Resource Production Center
    • Every turn the nation gets 1 raw resource for each raw resource they can mine (except food) for each city they have up to 5 cities. (60 resources times 3 resource types is a 180 resources total per day)
      • Cost: $500,000
        Food: 1,000

This project was recently posted in the dev team update thread. With some of the comments, I wanted to just revisit this some. The goal of this project is to provide additional income focused at newer nations. It is supposed to pay itself off very quick so there is little down-side to selling it off when project slots become more of a premium in the 10-25 city range where projects have more powerful effects and players are becoming more involved with the non-raiding aspects of war. 

First, I am aware of the downside that whales will likely get this project as they have open project slots. However getting 180 resources a day at 40 cities, in most cases will net a player $720k worth of raw resource production per day, slightly over the login bonus, which is nothing to a nation of that size.

Second, this will increase the amount of raw resources in the game to some degree (depends on how many people get this). Increasing the amount of these resources will likely lower the cost of some raw resources slightly over time and it should also increase some amount of raiding profits for these raw resources.

Third, I wanted to re-open discussions on this project.

• Should the cost be changed?
  • Should the resource pay-off be changed?
    • Specifically should uranium be lowered?
  • Should it only be focused on 1 raw resource?
  • Should it stop working at a certain city count?
  • Other thoughts?
Edited by Prefontaine
  • Upvote 1

scSqPGJ.gif

IMHO I think that uranium should be upped to five or similar. This may, in theory, allow newer players to achieve cost effective power sooner rather than later.

Edited by Rewan Demontay
Extra
  • Upvote 1

I don't see it appealing to anyone, small nations are the ones that are low on project slots, they would not want to use a slot for this project when there are 'better' projects they can build instead, whales would not want it because it makes almost no difference to their income.

• Upvote 1

tvPWtuA.gif

21 minutes ago, Sam Cooper said:

I don't see it appealing to anyone, small nations are the ones that are low on project slots, they would not want to use a slot for this project when there are 'better' projects they can build instead, whales would not want it because it makes almost no difference to their income.

What project is better for someone with 3-5 cities?

scSqPGJ.gif

1 hour ago, Prefontaine said:

each raw resource they can mine

Its always 3 resources, right? Do they have to build mines to get the bonus? Or is it just a flat 3 resources per city?

Hey Krampus, the signature edit is under account settings. Actually, here's the link.

https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/settings/signature/

12 minutes ago, zigbigadorlou said:

Its always 3 resources, right? Do they have to build mines to get the bonus? Or is it just a flat 3 resources per city?

Correct, unless they're in Antarctica it will always be whichever 3 resources they would be able to mine without needing the mine. 

scSqPGJ.gif

51 minutes ago, Prefontaine said:

What project is better for someone with 3-5 cities?

Hmm? Propaganda Bureau and Intelligence Agency? A C3-5 should be raiding so they aren't that expensive and came in handy.

Anyhow I don't have a problem with the project it gives more options to low tier players. But I do have a question. If enough nations get it and the price for raw resources decrease and the raw resources looted increases wouldn't the net monetary gains be pretty much the same as they are now from raiding?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

36 minutes ago, Vilktakis said:

Hmm? Propaganda Bureau and Intelligence Agency? A C3-5 should be raiding so they aren't that expensive and came in handy.

Anyhow I don't have a problem with the project it gives more options to low tier players. But I do have a question. If enough nations get it and the price for raw resources decrease and the raw resources looted increases wouldn't the net monetary gains be pretty much the same as they are now from raiding?

You're operating under the pretext that the only way of playing at that city count is raiding. If a player chooses to not raid, this project could be very profitable for them. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

scSqPGJ.gif

1 hour ago, Vilktakis said:

Inteligence Agency really isn't that important for low level players. Spying happens rarely at C3.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Prefontaine said:

You're operating under the pretext that the only way of playing at that city count is raiding. If a player chooses to not raid, this project could be very profitable for them. 

I mean a c3 to c5 player at most makes 5M from city revenue a day, raiding can give them 10 to 15M a day, ofc new players are going to choose raiding 😕 unless this project can give them a boost of income of 1M a city it really is useless. 

• Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, Prefontaine said:

I did say "should" it is the best money maker in low tier. But yes you are right if a player doesn't want to raid it is a nice project to have. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Prefontaine said:

Correct, unless they're in Antarctica it will always be whichever 3 resources they would be able to mine without needing the mine. 

Are the tooltips wrong? Antarctica only has 3 still: oil, coal, and uranium. 

Hey Krampus, the signature edit is under account settings. Actually, here's the link.

https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/settings/signature/

14 minutes ago, Sri Lanka 001 said:

I mean a c3 to c5 player at most makes 5M from city revenue a day, raiding can give them 10 to 15M a day, ofc new players are going to choose raiding 😕 unless this project can give them a boost of income of 1M a city it really is useless. 

Even if they do. The only essential project for raiders (and even that isnt that essential, but it approaches being essential) is PB. Making another 500-1000K a day is quite a good adition for new players i'd dare say.

This project would actually be useful for low tier players. It allows them to generate some resources to sell or use without actually having as many mines. They can then use those extra slots for their military, with which they will raid. It combines the best of both worlds to a degree.

Edited by Rewan Demontay
Details

It's a very cheap project that provides better revenue than the other resource projects would to a new nation.
No clue what people are expecting when they say it's useless, a $500k project that doubles their nation revenue?
Of course with project slots being so limited, i'd much prefer something aimed at raiding / war.

17 hours ago, Prefontaine said:
  •  

First, I am aware of the downside that whales will likely get this project as they have open project slots. However getting 180 resources a day at 40 cities, in most cases will net a player $720k worth of raw resource production per day, slightly over the login bonus, which is nothing to a nation of that size.

Second, this will increase the amount of raw resources in the game to some degree (depends on how many people get this). Increasing the amount of these resources will likely lower the cost of some raw resources slightly over time and it should also increase some amount of raiding profits for these raw resources.

Third, I wanted to re-open discussions on this project.

• Other thoughts?

Regarding your first point, just because it only adds a "negligible" amount to larger nations income, that's not a valid reason for not cutting this project off at some point. The intention of this project is to help out newer nations, if you allow for older nations, and whales to get this project, you undermine this project in two ways, 1, you're giving whales more income which, even if negligible, still widens the income gap and 2, you're potentially, like you stated in you're second point, going to increase the amount of raw resources in the game which may in turn decrease the prices. 

I think if you want to implement this project, and have it *actually* help out newer nations, you're going to have to make it stop functioning at some city count. I would suggest somewhere in the 15 to 20 range, I feel as though once you've reached that part of the game, the training wheels are off, you generally are going to have around 2000 infra per city which will allow you to access more lucrative build options.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I agree it should cut off at a certain city count. That $720k is going be a huge boost when these nations are making less than 1-3m a day in net revenue (without raiding).

Not be that guy in the suggestion thread who changes the original idea and derails discussion... but it sounds like we're trying to accomplish something that doesn't need a project slot at all.

We could simply give all players under 100 days old an income bonus of $1m cash, on top of the login bonus. New players make $2m a day automatically if they're logging in daily. This achieves all your stated goals (more potential raid revenue in the lower tiers, more money for newbies to play with, a solid cutoff point, etc.).

If not then I see nothing wrong with adding the project as long as it turns off after 100 days or at c12 or whatever.

Edited by Justinian the Great
  • Upvote 2

I would buy the shit out of that project. 

That being said, do you want to make a project per your own math with an ROI of less than 1 day?

I could be out of the loop here, since i haven't dealt with little nations in a few years in this game, but at 3 cities, are you really in a position to actually have a project slot open?  you would need 1667 infra per city to hit 5k infra.

Edited by Sweeeeet Ronny D

5 hours ago, Prefontaine said:

Can I get some upvotes/downvotes on this post for feedback please?

1. Upvote if you think it should turn off at City Count 15.
  2. Downvote if you think it should always be active.
  3. "Haha" If you don't care.

What if you made it so you can only purchase the project once, it last X amount of days before expiring and after that you lose access to it, this serves the purpose of actually helping the new players but also prevents alliances that intentionally stay small from farming it for essentially free money.

In all seriousness, wtf?! You want to introduce a resource Project to help newer players, but then twist your brain cells in a knot trying to kneecap it so that older players get minimal benefits? I'm not sure how you decided that this was a good idea.

New players already get free money from the tutorials and I'm pretty sure they don't have City timers any more for the first few cities, how much more do you want to give them handouts?

If you're dead set on giving them more money, just outright give new nations a "Budding Nation Grant" on their Revenue page, of $x per turn, expires in x days.

At least that way you're not kneecapping new players, who should be buying a Center for Civil Engineering instead.

13 hours ago, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

I could be out of the loop here, since i haven't dealt with little nations in a few years in this game, but at 3 cities, are you really in a position to actually have a project slot open?  you would need 1667 infra per city to hit 5k infra.

Each nation gets a freebie Project slot, I assume they want new players to burn that up with this ... whatever it is.

9 hours ago, Zevari said:

What if you made it so you can only purchase the project once, it last X amount of days before expiring and after that you lose access to it, this serves the purpose of actually helping the new players but also prevents alliances that intentionally stay small from farming it for essentially free money.

We can call it the "Self-Destructing Mining Labor Camp" and after it expires you get a "Mass Grave" Project, that gives you a bonus to your Soldier casualties.

sig_cybernations.PNG.8d49a01423f488a0f1b846927f5acc7e.PNG

On 10/18/2021 at 3:11 PM, Prefontaine said:
  • Other thoughts?

1. Yes, there's no need to self finance this, or? Especially cheap projects can always be paid by alliances if necessary. This project costs just a a bit food and a Log-In Bonus, which is way too low. Maybe a tiered cost per city already owned. $250k + each 100 lead/iron/oil/coal/baux per city. 

2. Pay off is good, but as mentioned above, it should only be active when using said mines and when having capped them.

- No bonus to Uranium, that one got already a Project.

3. Kind of, focussed on the Mines you actually can build. Good incentive for Non-Uranium continent players. 

4. Maybe. Either cap it at 20 or it should just hurt pollutionwise to keep them while also going the Commerce route (Increasing pollution according to Output)

Edited by Odin