Food in PnW: Is it realistic?

Raphael

I love this post, bravo.

• Upvote 1

TCM3_1_281x175.png.d5f909d45f36d3dcb3722580e7b7ecc2.png
Coal Duke (Imperator Emeritus) of The Coal Mines
Diety Emeritus of The Immortals, Patres Conscripti (President Emeritus) of the Independent Republic of Orange Nations, Lieutenant Emeritus of Black Skies, Imperator Emeritus of the Valyrian Freehold, Imperator Emeritus of the Divine Phoenix, Prefect Emeritus of Carthago, Regent Emeritus of the New Polar Order

I love these kinds of dives into P&W lore, lmao.

20 minutes ago, Justinian the Great said:

So if we consider a PnW unit of food a tonne of food, this makes much more sense. 

I want to say that there are text somewhere in the game where resources are spoken of as tonnes, but I don't remember where and I'm to lazy to go looking. 

• Upvote 6

new_forum_sig_2.png

Its interesting that you opted for bushels of corn in place of the unit stated in the tooltip - tons - and the icon which resembles a ham.  A regular bone-in ham has 151 kilocalories / 85 g serving which translates to 1.61 million kcal/ton. With a 2k kcal diet, that will feed 805 people. If the diet is more balanced and if the bone is not counted (I kept it since it appears in the icon), I could easily see a 20% increase to 1000 people or a lower average kcal diet of 1611 kcal/person.

Note I use kcal which is equivalent to dietary calories.

6 minutes ago, Thalmor said:

I want to say that there are text somewhere in the game where resources are spoken of as tonnes, 

Its in the build improvements text. 

• Upvote 4

Hey Krampus, the signature edit is under account settings. Actually, here's the link.

https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/settings/signature/

5 minutes ago, zigbigadorlou said:

Its interesting that you opted for bushels of corn in place of the unit stated in the tooltip - tons - and the icon which resembles a ham.  A regular bone-in ham has 151 kilocalories / 85 g serving which translates to 1.61 million kcal/ton. With a 2k kcal diet, that will feed 805 people. If the diet is more balanced and if the bone is not counted (I kept it since it appears in the icon), I could easily see a 20% increase to 1000 people or a lower average kcal diet of 1611 kcal/person.

Note I use kcal which is equivalent to dietary calories.

Its in the build improvements text. 

I chose corn because it's a generic food product. I was originally going to go with wheat but corn pulled up first on google. I assume/hope PnW's citizenry feeds on more than just pork.

26 minutes ago, Novax25 said:

What about soldiers using 1 unit per 500 during war?

U.S. soldiers in Iraq face battle of the bulge | The Seattle Times

"Most MREs, or meals ready to eat, contain about 1,300 calories; three a day are recommended. Supplemented with energy bars and drinks, they give soldiers the 4,500 to 5,000 calories they need for an active day of patrols or on the front line."

So, during wartime in P&W, soldiers are eating 4,000 calories in food. This is true in real life as well.

• Upvote 2

new_forum_sig_2.png

19 minutes ago, Thalmor said:

U.S. soldiers in Iraq face battle of the bulge | The Seattle Times

"Most MREs, or meals ready to eat, contain about 1,300 calories; three a day are recommended. Supplemented with energy bars and drinks, they give soldiers the 4,500 to 5,000 calories they need for an active day of patrols or on the front line."

So, during wartime in P&W, soldiers are eating 4,000 calories in food. This is true in real life as well.

Thanks

10 hours ago, Justinian the Great said:

Food, glorious food. Did Alex design a realistic food system and how close does he get if so? Let's do the math.

Establishing some baselines: I'm first going to be working everything into bushels because, as far as I know, that's how food is measured irl. Specifically bushels of corn.

• 1 bushel of corn contains roughly enough calories (based on a 2,000 calorie diet) to feed 37 people.

If we consider one PnW unit of food to be a bushel, a PnW unit feeds 1,000 people per unit or per bushel. This feels pretty far off.

This got me digging a bit. There are 39 bushels of corn to a tonne. Which comes surprisingly close to a PnW unit of food. A tonne of corn, purely based on calorie count, would feed roughly 1400 people. So if we consider a PnW unit of food a tonne of food, this makes much more sense. People need a varied diet, not just corn, so the reduced feeding capacity per unit makes sense.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL I DID. I considered you, the reader, in my calculations. You, a disgusting PnW player, has no concept of what a bushel looks like because you don't leave your house or have an education. This math is meaningless to you. So I did one more leap.

How many McDonald's Happy Meals does a unit of PnW food equate to?

Again, I simplified and rounded caloric content. A happy meal has about 475 calories per meal. So every bushel of corn takes roughly 4.5 happy meals to equate. Meaning that every tonne of corn equates to roughly 176 happy meals.

If we are considering PnW food to have a calorie ratio of 1:1.4 with corn, that would leave us at ~250 happy meals equating to one PnW unit of food. 250 happy meals to feed 1,000 poor and malnourished PnW citizens. So the average diet of the player isn't too far from the diet of his or her nation.

Nice try but the rss icon of food is i think a pork chop or a steak. So our farms grow tonnes of steaks. 

Edited by MinesomeMC
  • Haha 1

On 10/13/2021 at 9:37 PM, Justinian the Great said:

Food, glorious food. Did Alex design a realistic food system and how close does he get if so? Let's do the math.

I couldn't find a 'yes' or 'no' bottom line answer anywhere in there.

So... did he?