128 members have voted

1. 1. GW19 name

• Brawlywood
    • Error 522
    • Knightfall 2: Fall Harder
    • Whales I Smoke
    • Scandals in Hollywood

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/10/21 at 11:30 PM

• MinesomeMC changed the title to [Poll] Official Final vote on GW19 name

Are we that desperate to get another "error" war that you're trying to invalidate the last vote by having another?

I will vote for literally anything other than error 522 on principle.

Edited by Justinian the Great

Just now, Justinian the Great said:

Are we that desperate to get another "error" war that you're trying to invalidate the last vote by having another?

No I had an poll asking if they wanted a run off since people kept nagging me about it. E522 is not likely to win, and I for god hope it doesn’t. 

Just now, MinesomeMC said:

No I had an poll asking if they wanted a run off since people kept nagging me about it. E522 is not likely to win, and I for god hope it doesn’t. 

"Brawlywood" had almost a 2:1 lead over the next closest choice. There was a clear winner.

29 minutes ago, Justinian the Great said:

I will vote for literally anything other than error 522 on principle.

E522 is the name we have been using. I don't know if I'll understand why people are so prejudiced against it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hey Krampus, the signature edit is under account settings. Actually, here's the link.

https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/settings/signature/

4 minutes ago, zigbigadorlou said:

E522 is the name we have been using. I don't know if I'll understand why people are so prejudiced against it. 

Because it doesn’t acknowledge anything about the actual war. Only that the servers crashed when it started due to the blitz. Guns n roses is a crap name too in my opinion, but at least it acknowledges that rose fought in the war ffs

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Schnauzerguy said:

Because it doesn’t acknowledge anything about the actual war. Only that the servers crashed when it started due to the blitz. Guns n roses is a crap name too in my opinion, but at least it acknowledges that rose fought in the war ffs

Neither do the others except knightfall 2. E522 acknowledges something that happened throughout the war and, afaik, was the first time we saw 522 on a regular basis (instead of politics and snore). 

• Upvote 2

Hey Krampus, the signature edit is under account settings. Actually, here's the link.

https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/settings/signature/

16 minutes ago, zigbigadorlou said:

Neither do the others except knightfall 2. E522 acknowledges something that happened throughout the war and, afaik, was the first time we saw 522 on a regular basis (instead of politics and snore). 

Because error messages are in no way unique to this war 

• Upvote 2

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 16-46-07 Settings - Politics & War Forum(1).png

48 minutes ago, Michael Gary Scott said:

Because error messages are in no way unique to this war 

Neither is "brawling". It's a bad play on words for the coalition name of "Bollywood" which at least is a direct rip on "Hollywood" which was the focal point of the war.

Bollywood vs. Hollywood is as simple as a name as can be. And acknowledges what happened in this war. The fact that Bollywood fought Hollywood.

What people call the war casually vs. what the wiki says, what's going to be remembered? People during the war called it one thing; to rewrite history to something that was never said before this poll is silly. And if someone can tell me that people actually said or called this conflict "Brawlywood" I'd like to hear that. Just calling it "Bollywood" would at least make sense, and again is a direct reference. Brawlywood is never going to be used to describe this war. It's GW19, (Error)522, or Hollywood (vs. Bollywood) war.

Edit: I just want to make it clear, jokes and snide remarks aside (not in this specific case directed at Mr. Scott), I hate the name Brawlywood. I don't care for Knightfall 2, but that's okay and honestly the best name as far as describing what happened. I think the name really should've commented on the axe grinding against GG (esp SRD), or that it was TKR vs. t$. Any other names that don't acknowledge those 3 actors (GG/SRD, TKR, or t$) are really just generic and meaningless. I also dislike using "GW19" except as a tongue in cheek or least bad option when wars have other stupid names. Don't even get me started on the number 19, but I digress. Just dropping a bit of my actual opinion. I think someone could easily come up with a better name if you just let someone that actually understood the war, or read even half the OWF posts. "The HW War" or "HW v BW". I'll digress. This whole process is grating to watch meander along as so many people grind their own axes, without any regard for what really happened, or any consistent process or logic. It feels like watching 2 different parts of your family try to plan some giant awkward birthday gathering and not one even really thinking about the person the party is for works a night shift, so they want to be asleep by 2 in the afternoon, yet you're having people making shitty pre-press burgers on their patio at noon, and they have to put up with it.

Edited by KiWilliam
bleh
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, KiWilliam said:

Neither is "brawling". It's a bad play on words for the coalition name of "Bollywood" which at least is a direct rip on "Hollywood" which was the focal point of the war.

Bollywood vs. Hollywood is as simple as a name as can be. And acknowledges what happened in this war. The fact that Bollywood fought Hollywood.

What people call the war casually vs. what the wiki says, what's going to be remembered? People during the war called it one thing; to rewrite history to something that was never said before this poll is silly. And if someone can tell me that people actually said or called this conflict "Brawlywood" I'd like to hear that. Just calling it "Bollywood" would at least make sense, and again is a direct reference. Brawlywood is never going to be used to describe this war. It's GW19, (Error)522, or Hollywood (vs. Bollywood) war.

Edit: I just want to make it clear, jokes and snide remarks aside (not in this specific case directed at Mr. Scott), I hate the name Brawlywood. I don't care for Knightfall 2, but that's okay and honestly the best name as far as describing what happened. I think the name really should've commented on the axe grinding against GG (esp SRD), or that it was TKR vs. t$. Any other names that don't acknowledge those 3 actors (GG/SRD, TKR, or t$) are really just generic and meaningless. I also dislike using "GW19" except as a tongue in cheek or least bad option when wars have other stupid names. Don't even get me started on the number 19, but I digress. Just dropping a bit of my actual opinion. I think someone could easily come up with a better name if you just let someone that actually understood the war, or read even half the OWF posts. "The HW War" or "HW v BW". I'll digress. This whole process is grating to watch meander along as so many people grind their own axes, without any regard for what really happened, or any consistent process or logic. It feels like watching 2 different parts of your family try to plan some giant awkward birthday gathering and not one even really thinking about the person the party is for works a night shift, so they want to be asleep by 2 in the afternoon, yet you're having people making shitty pre-press burgers on their patio at noon, and they have to put up with it.

Just to clarify I liked Whales I smoke, because it referred to upper tier consolidation and Grumpy's pixels burning 

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 16-46-07 Settings - Politics & War Forum(1).png

24 minutes ago, Michael Gary Scott said:

Just to clarify I liked Whales I smoke, because it referred to upper tier consolidation and Grumpy's pixels burning 

Fair. If we're just talking our personal opinions though; it's a dumb name :P
And I actually agree with the very brilliant meme above, Knightfall is also bad. The only similarity is that TKR was "brought down" but that's almost a stretch, in my opinion more of the attention was on GG.

That said, if votes are being split (FPTP) we get all these other names to lose against the stupid one that's winning.

2 hours ago, zigbigadorlou said:

1 hour ago, KiWilliam said:

I'm certainly not defending the name choices here. Brawlywood is the best of the worst, in my opinion.

But every single war we have someone pitching, as Alyster points out, either a reference to an older war (Knightfall 2.0, Dial Up 2, Surfs Up 2 etc) which don't make any contextual sense - if anything, we could draw this war to Guns n Roses: Rose Strikes Back or something like that. But Knightfall?

Then every war we also have those people making the 0 IQ joke about server errors. I get the 522 error randomly while playing PnW at low-traffic times. Alex runs the game from a laptop in his basement that's probably simultaneously mining crypto. We get it, the servers are not as powerful as retail AAA game platforms. It's a horribly boring war name and it represents nothing about the war itself or the politics behind it.

At least Brawlywood allows inference to the participants.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Justinian the Great said:

I'm certainly not defending the name choices here. Brawlywood is the best of the worst, in my opinion.

But every single war we have someone pitching, as Alyster points out, either a reference to an older war (Knightfall 2.0, Dial Up 2, Surfs Up 2 etc) which don't make any contextual sense - if anything, we could draw this war to Guns n Roses: Rose Strikes Back or something like that. But Knightfall?

Then every war we also have those people making the 0 IQ joke about server errors. I get the 522 error randomly while playing PnW at low-traffic times. Alex runs the game from a laptop in his basement that's probably simultaneously mining crypto. We get it, the servers are not as powerful as retail AAA game platforms. It's a horribly boring war name and it represents nothing about the war itself or the politics behind it.

At least Brawlywood allows inference to the participants.

Just to reiterate; I think just calling the war "The Hollywood War" or "Hollywood vs Bollywood" is 100x better than "Brawlywood". My severe disgust for the name aside; that name was never (someone please feel free to come out and correct me) used during the war or by anyone to refer to the war. It was designed as a "clever" play on the name of one coalition. But it's not cute or even informs about any of the other aspects of the war (back to your point about context as well).

I hate it. Knightfall 2 is also terrible but I feel is better than Brawlywood. If it was even "Rose Strikes back" or "Brawlywood Strikes Back" that at least gives some context; even if those are awful terrible names.

It's also everyone agreeing this process and these names are bad, yet we're going to go through this process, and act like it's democratic and that people who go against it are wrong. Dial Up war is Dial Up war because that's what it was called at the time, by the people who participated, by the people about the war, and by everyone now even 2 years later. Dial Up War is also different from The Long War. Which also has a bad (but not so horrible I won't use it) name. I usually refer to it as "that war" or "the NPO war" or "the long war". But the fact that people understand what I am referring to in a conversation is what matters in a conversation. No amount of peer pressure or fake veneer of democracy and "community consensus" is going to make me not call a spade a spade. It's the break down of these processes, spurred on by many things (this could be its very own interesting conversation), that leads to people just calling wars "Great War X".

I thought I was done posting about this, but this whole thing has struck a nerve.

Edited by KiWilliam
I am not mentally as sharp as a tack, but rather a burlap sack
  • Upvote 1