9/23/2021 - New Game & Community Rules Released

Alex

• Administrators
On 9/25/2021 at 12:48 AM, Arthur Wellington said:

Why not payed non players as moderators? 

I considered this, and suggested it, but actually got a lot of negative feedback. Overall, my impression is that players don't trust outsiders with no real knowledge of the game or political complexities to do a good job of moderating. However, if everyone agreed that this would work, it is a route that I could look into.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I considered this, and suggested it, but actually got a lot of negative feedback. Overall, my impression is that players don't trust outsiders with no real knowledge of the game or political complexities to do a good job of moderating. However, if everyone agreed that this would work, it is a route that I could look into.

Frankly I think the best course in this situation is to have both. No one is truly free from bias, this an immutable fact of being human. An outsider will be less biased in certain areas and more in others, balance is always keen in games innit?

On 9/25/2021 at 4:38 PM, Zei-Sakura Alsainn said:

Because volunteer players are cheaper. 

Also, though this is a smaller factor, because players (especially veterans ones in other PW mod teams already) better understand the games mechanics and politics, knowledge which may be necessary in some cases dealing with, well, mechanics and politics. 

A payed non player could learn these with time of course, but obviously this is just easier and cheaper.

Paid outsiders are less likely to be biased.

Moderation is a weapon. Unless you're dumb enough to assume otherwise, moderation allows players significantly more control over game affairs than anything else you could do in game. Since moderation is effectively the game's strategic high ground, players and alliances will seek to acquire control of the moderation team and impose strikes / warnings with political intent.

If you're not paying them with money, you're paying them with power, and power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

====

As previously stated on Discord, Alex does not have the capability to personally moderate all game affairs. Neither is the game making enough that professional admins can be hired. Hence player-moderators and everything that comes with it.

Edited by Cherise

Paying 3 people for 6 hours a week shouldnt be that big a cost? I ofcourse dont know the reveneu of pnw nor am I asking here.

Ive read once in an interview with you @Alex that you like PnW because of the tight nitted and hardcore fanbase the game clearly has.

I do wonder here what you goals are for the next say 5 years. Expanding moderation and optimalization with the aid of experienced players will most likely result in a continuation of existing ideas and reinforcing the position of the hardcore fansbase.

Payed help could, but not per se, result in smaller or bigger revolutions within PnW to achieve certain goals, like growth of the playerbase, new sorts of players, acces to Steam/Epic or another goal that might be set.

Either way is fine with me by the way. I like PnW like it is, along with all the politics, within the alliance structure as well as on the forums and regarding this topic.

To get back on topic:

A credit tax for nations with +45 cities not waging wars for more than a month. Missing the 30 credit tax per month would result in the destruction of 1 city.

Edited by Arthur Wellington

On 9/24/2021 at 5:00 AM, Alex said:

I know that many of you have concerns about new moderators and any potential abuses of power. I share your concerns, and I am taking many, many preventative measures and steps to prevent any instances of that happening. Should that fail, I have also setup extensive moderator action logging so that I can review all actions taken and at least catch and reverse any abuse should all preventative measures fail.

I would still like to know what information these moderators will be capable of accessing, as I mentioned in a previous thread...

On 9/1/2021 at 9:28 AM, Zephyr said:

What kind of information will moderators see that isn't ordinarily visible to players? IP? Email? Some kind of event log that might expose all of a player's spy operations? Bounty placements? Ordinarily hidden inter-alliance bank transactions that might have been used for nefarious IC operations? Dossier? Messages? What systems will be in place to ensure that moderators don't quietly use their role to access privileged information for their own interests? If they do abuse the role, do we get a heads up when our privileged info was accessed by a rogue moderator? Do they get outed to Orbis? I'm really curious about exactly how it will work putting players on game moderation.

Also, how is access being monitored to ensure information is only accessed for the purpose of moderation and only at the time of responding to specific reports? Players can't tell when a moderator is reading their personal messages or reviewing their bounty history, so you can't just wait till a player complains, you need active monitoring to immediately identify abuse.

On 9/28/2021 at 9:01 AM, Alex said:

From who, where? I'd much prefer an uninvested outsider whose interest is getting paid to do a good job applying the rules to their best understanding instead of a player that might perceive political advantages from such a privileged position.