Taxes During Blockades.

Just John

Nations on beige (or gray) don't pay taxes, so if you can beige cycle an enemy, they wont be paying any taxes. 

Typically its the losing side that ends up being mass blockaded, so I don't know if this helps from a game balance perspective.

Plenty of things in this game don't make irl sense, from nukes not killing any units and only 2 buildings, ships being 30 tons etc. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 9/17/2021 at 7:19 PM, Malakai said:

Would a fairer compromise be that once a nation is blockaded their tax rate is frozen?

No, because nations like Carthago would still get that 100%/100% & alliances right before wars would just immediately set everyones to 100%/100%

On 9/15/2021 at 11:51 AM, Just John said:

Hey Everyone! So I recently came up with an idea, I believe it is a good one however some of the leaders may not cause of there precious tax farms. However, despite New Pacific Order no longer being a player in the game I have a proposal to the community.

When nations are blockaded, they can't trade. This is common sense.
But when they are blockaded, they can pay taxes. Transferring there nations revenue to the alliance bank even resources.

My Idea TL;DR = Make Blockaded Nations not be able to pay taxes. (Sounds worse than it sounds)

Making it easier to permaroll/kill alliances by denying them valuable tax income for post war/rebuild is a bad idea, and since you know about NPO I hope you understand where I am coming from here. Yes they may be gone, but it does not mean other alliances can't/won't repeat what they did.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Look up to the sky above~

8 hours ago, Aiya said:

Making it easier to permaroll/kill alliances by denying them valuable tax income for post war/rebuild is a bad idea, and since you know about NPO I hope you understand where I am coming from here. Yes they may be gone, but it does not mean other alliances can't/won't repeat what they did.

At the same time, if you are stuck in a 100/100 alliance, and blockaded, your only possible means of affording to fight back is in the resources you generate, since you cant rely on your alliance funding you while under a blockade.  It could be argued that blocking taxes is better for the person under the blockade.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

At the same time, if you are stuck in a 100/100 alliance, and blockaded, your only possible means of affording to fight back is in the resources you generate, since you cant rely on your alliance funding you while under a blockade.  It could be argued that blocking taxes is better for the person under the blockade.

And I know that some alliances disable/lower taxes during war time for this same reason, but I believe that should remain the alliance's choice, and not because the enemy is blockading you~

Various good points put forward from both sides.

I'll try to lay the foundation of a possible compromise here, which may sound crazy.

Taxes can be blocked from blockaded nations, but maybe not entirely. Perhaps a percentage of the tax revenue from the blockaded nation can be blocked off completely, whether that sum ends up at the blockading nation or whether it's simply just destroyed? And maybe this percentage can be proportional to the blockaded nation's tax bracket or something along the lines? Just trying to find some middle ground here; an attempt to maybe hinder alliances' ability to simply 100/100 tax blockaded nations and move resources off them but at the same time not have too much of a negative impact on alliance tax revenue.

Let me know your thoughts people!

Edited by hm02

insert signature here

Reroller who's decided to give one final proper go at P&W. If you're reading this, hope you're doing terrific at life and that all the good you're experiencing continues. If it's not, keep working; you'll get there soon enough! :)

22 hours ago, Aiya said:

Beige nations don't pay taxes, so the rolled side (presumably being beige cycled) will make little in alliance tax contributions as is anyway. It seems this change wouldn't actually be too impactful, but would make blockade mechanics more consistent.

Edited by Zephyr

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

Beige nations don't pay taxes, so the rolled side (presumably being beige cycled) will make little in alliance tax contributions as is anyway. It seems this change wouldn't actually be too impactful, but would make blockade mechanics more consistent.

I disagree with you on the impact this would have since I don't believe it is often the case that the winning side is effectively beige cycling the other side. I think we can at least agree that keeping so many nations in beige 100% of the time is pretty unlikely. Nations do/will have opportunities during war time to be on their own colour and pay taxes, and this change would only constrict that further, for the sake of consistency which is not meaningful. Consistency really is not reason enough to make a change which only detracts from the game balance.

• Upvote 3

On 9/22/2021 at 9:51 PM, Just John said:

No, because nations like Carthago would still get that 100%/100% & alliances right before wars would just immediately set everyones to 100%/100%

I doubt this very much. Most nations would mutiny. It would also be a flat out pain to track who owned what, who got what, and the remaining balances for all the included nations.

47 minutes ago, Malakai said:

I doubt this very much. Most nations would mutiny. It would also be a flat out pain to track who owned what, who got what, and the remaining balances for all the included nations.

you would be surprised at what stupid shit people would put up with.  I mean you have alliance leaders openly stealing from their alliances to build themselves, and yet their members just keep following along.

On 9/15/2021 at 12:06 PM, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

if your taxes are set to 100% that just means you are moving all your resources off nation, with our without blockade

Agreed. Almost every time I was properly taxed, and every time I was on 100/100, it was to minimize losses from raiders. 

Hey Krampus, the signature edit is under account settings. Actually, here's the link.

https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/settings/signature/