More Betterer Bulletinses

Guest Zephyr

Guest Zephyr

This is a follow up to my other thread because I think the bulletin system has potential to do a lot of what Discord news servers are doing, and if that can be done in-game it potentially makes it easier to engage even more players (especially the Discord averse).

• Let us delete our bulletins
    I don't see the option, so unless I'm missing something, why shouldn't this be an option? If the concern is players spamming inappropriate bulletins and deleting them to evade moderation action, then surely there's a solution to this by just quietly stuffing deleted bulletins temporarily into an admin-only repository or something?

• Let us make and join News Groups, and publish bulletins under their identity
    News groups could have a profile page with a custom description, some stats for total likes received from all their bulletins, number of subscribers (subscription feature requested in my previous thread), a button to subscribe to their bulletins, indicate who the owner is, list reporters, and then display their recent articles in a gridded thumbnail pattern similar to the World News page. You could probably keep news group permissions fairly simple without any need to allow elaborate customisation to permissions as any rogue publishing efforts by reporters should be easy enough to shut down by the news group owner:
    • Reporters can publish bulletins under news groups they are member to. Bulletins published via news groups should also have a "From <news_group_name>" link added as a new line under the "By <author>" line in the details section of bulletins.
    • Players can only edit their own bulletins. This means that the linked nation/author of the bulletin remains as simple as one player, and keeps moderation considerations for inappropriate content simple to review and act on (because, alternatively, I imagine tracking contributions from multiple reporters would be technically complicated to log and a lot of development effort for little gain to user experience). If a news group owner desires changes to be made to an article, they are presumably capable of asking their reporters to make the appropriate changes or remove non-compliant reporters from their news group.
    • Only the news group owner can:
      • Add reporters
      • Delete bulletins
      • Edit the news group profile
      • Remove reporters
      • Transfer news group ownership

• Add a new News Group tab to the World News page
    It would just be a space to list all of the news groups in Orbis and make it easier for players to discover them. You could show a couple categories at the top in a similar way to the bulletins tab, showing most popular news groups by subscriptions and likes, then showing all news groups listed below that.

• Add a new category to the World News page for recent news group bulletins
    Specifically the World tab where bulletins are listed in various categories. Put it near the top, maybe after subscriptions (my previous thread's suggested category addition).

• Notifications for new subscription bulletins
    Notifications with links to new bulletins from any subscriptions the player has made to other players and news groups. Helps drive eyeballs to bulletins from anyone trying to use the bulletin system regularly and develop a readership. Presumes my previous bulletin subscription suggestion is implemented. Some might not like this, so an account option to disable this would be in order.

• Add bulletin likes and subscriptions to nation feeds
    Self explanatory; any time a player likes or subscribes, log it on their nation's recent activity feed. It's another opportunity to drive awareness to bulletins/news groups.

• Limit daily bulletin posts
    Maybe this is already the case? This would just be practical for moderation, but also for news group owners if they had to delete bulletins from a rogue reporter (and didn't want to wait for an admin to do it). Twenty per day at most? Whatever number, it shouldn't obstruct legitimate use of bulletins.

• Credit cost establishing news groups
    I think if news groups were incorporated in an effective way with suggestions like what I've made (or any better suggestions offered), it would be fair to attach a high credit cost to establishing news groups and would also give them more prestige over nation and alliance bulletins of which there are plenty.

TL;DR: Improve bulletins to make them more practical as an engaging in-game news system.
Edited by Guest

On 6/28/2021 at 2:32 AM, Zephyr said:
  • Let us delete our bulletins
    I don't see the option, so unless I'm missing something, why shouldn't this be an option? If the concern is players spamming inappropriate bulletins and deleting them to evade moderation action, then surely there's a solution to this by just quietly stuffing deleted bulletins temporarily into an admin-only repository or something?

Under the edit section there is an option to archive, I think this hides the bulletin from the public, though an actual delete option should be added.
(maybe there is a delete option when they are archived, idk how it works.)

I like the other suggestions as well.

sss.jpg

Edited by Sassa Freyjasdóttir