Food spoils after X time

Mohammad

Food should not be able to be stockpiled for infinity without any negative consequence. Food spoils eventually, and so there should be a game mechanic to implement this. I am not near smart enough to know how the code/formula should run, as having a counter for each ton of food would crash the server so hard. But there should be some decaying of food, and this should be increased by nuclear winters, as guess what, radiation spills food. 

Might be a tough idea code wise, bt just thought id put it out there. 

• Downvote 4

Guest Zephyr
10 hours ago, Mohammad.badawy4 said:

Food should not be able to be stockpiled for infinity without any negative consequence. Food spoils eventually, and so there should be a game mechanic to implement this. I am not near smart enough to know how the code/formula should run, as having a counter for each ton of food would crash the server so hard. But there should be some decaying of food, and this should be increased by nuclear winters, as guess what, radiation spills food. 

Same principal could apply to gasoline too. I think ammunition has a shelf life as well, but a lot longer. Having said that, I have no idea how this would be implemented. I imagine this would also only be a disadvantage to a few resources, so if it were viable and desirable as a game mechanic, a review of resource production rates and associated costs might be in order.

I can't see this as something worth pursuing.

Edited by Zephyr

There have been discussions on having resource caps per nation based on city size. It has received some wide dislike, but it may be an applicable solution to food. Problems then come from it going into the bank -- which is also the main problem on food expiring. Lets say I have food about to expire this week and I move it to the bank. Then maybe my alliance leaders remove some food from the bank and send it elsewhere. Was it my food? Was it someone elses? 

This is the main problem with the concept. 

• Upvote 1

scSqPGJ.gif

15 hours ago, Mohammad.badawy4 said:

What problem does that solve?  What happens when a long war breaks out with 100 percent radiation?  Everyone in the game just runs out of food?

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2021 at 3:17 PM, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

What problem does that solve?  What happens when a long war breaks out with 100 percent radiation?  Everyone in the game just runs out of food?

Yes the world food supplies do run out, and Orbis population starts dipping. Cause guess what, thats what happens in Nuclear Winter. Might lead to major aa signing ig SALT, to limit use of nuclear weapons that could threaten obris security.

On 6/28/2021 at 2:34 PM, Prefontaine said:

There have been discussions on having resource caps per nation based on city size. It has received some wide dislike, but it may be an applicable solution to food. Problems then come from it going into the bank -- which is also the main problem on food expiring. Lets say I have food about to expire this week and I move it to the bank. Then maybe my alliance leaders remove some food from the bank and send it elsewhere. Was it my food? Was it someone elses? 

This is the main problem with the concept. 

Yes this would be the major point. we would have to keep track of every single food and its expiration date. Maybe create new food reosurce called "spoiling food" that is untradeable? but same issue is tracking each food ton.

• 1 year later...
On 1/6/2023 at 5:29 PM, Icenio said:

I feel like this would be a major annoyance to big food producers

It's fine to go reading older suggestions, but please don't comment on them if they're older than like 4-6 months. It brings them all the way back up to the top and is technically against Forum rules.

• Upvote 1

Federation of Knox

Enlightened of Chaos, Event Horizon

QA Team and API Team

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Jacob Knox said:

It's fine to go reading older suggestions, but please don't comment on them if they're older than like 4-6 months. It brings them all the way back up to the top and is technically against Forum rules.

For the record, in most cases the gravedigging rule does not apply to the Game Suggestions forum.

Gravedigging

Replying to, or "bumping", old, unpinned topics which have been inactive for at least 30 days. The following exceptions apply:

Alliance Affairs - topics with no posts for at least 10 days will be considering gravedigging.

The following are immune to the rule, as long as replies are constructive and remain on-topic.

Alliance Recruitment
Free Trade Market
Game Discussion
Game Suggestions
All forums in the Social Hub
All forums in the Game Hub

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

On 7/15/2021 at 7:39 AM, Mohammad said:

Yes the world food supplies do run out, and Orbis population starts dipping. Cause guess what, thats what happens in Nuclear Winter. Might lead to major aa signing ig SALT, to limit use of nuclear weapons that could threaten obris security.

On 6/28/2021 at 8:34 AM, Prefontaine said:

In War, arguably the best part of this game, the losing side of Conventional Warfare (War without Nukes) has literally no other resort other than mass nuking. Raid alliances also will ignore this, they literally are PAID to nuke people with high infra. Just using Missiles won't work because Missiles don't deal lasting effects like Nukes do

• 4 weeks later...

Well since this post got attention recently, I think it is worth revisiting. 

I think that an overall decay of all resources should occur, at different rates. For example say 5% (random number) of food decays every day. this is regardless of how much food you have, and/or where it is stored. If you stockpile the food, and don't spend it, it will rot. Therefore, nations will rush to invest their resources before they expire. Same can apply at different rates for different resources. Maybe Gasoline 3%, Lead 2%, Uranium 1% etc. (numbers are placeholders obviously.)

Now the counter-argument is: what's the point? What does the game have to gain from this?

Well, we can all agree their is an ever-widening gap between the tier of older c40+ players and incoming ones. This gap doesn't seem to be closing, even more so as the top AA's have developed economies so strong, they can rebuild within a week of a months-long roll. one of the major reasons, i believe, for this is the massive stockpiles of resources. Just a quick look at Data Visualization shows that we have food from 2019 still in nations banks. Stockpiles maintain the historical advantage of the whale tier, whilst preventing any rising power from ever being able to compete with it. 

Having resources degrade/decay over time will change the strategy form hoarding and stockpiling to seeking out investing opportunities. Instead of putting 1 Bn steel into your alliance bank, it will be more worthwhile to spend it on projects and infa for your lower tier. hopefully, this would encourage more investment into the new members to allow them to reach mid tier and remain in the game.  

However, their are some possible downsides:

- what about money? if money doesn't decay, then whales will just stockpile cash, which doesn't change much.

- decaying resources will raise prices, especially for expensive projects/cities

- If resources constantly degrade, then market volatility will greatly increase. while i am so in favor of this, i can see the arguments for a more stable market based on secure stockpiles of resources. 

Open to comments/suggestions. I think the time-based expiration was a bad idea, but the overall flat percentage decay would work a lot better.

• 2 months later...
On 7/15/2021 at 7:39 AM, Mohammad said:

Raiding Alliances will not care