[BUG] Impossible "Moderate Success"

Alexander the Great

This is a bug report regarding naval battles.

Whenever my nation has literally over 1.25 times as many ships as my opponent and the game does not give an Immense Triumph in a naval battle, it is an extreme issue that should not exist. Please fix this absolutely atrocious bug. This literally costed me a blockade because the game did not register the immense size difference between my navy and my opponent's navy. There is no world where having literally 50-60 more ships than my opponent results in a "moderate success". It's really and truly obnoxious. You wait hours and hours to pull of the perfect attack and the servers at PnW are too on-fire to properly execute it. Pretty sadge and definitely not working as intended, unless you intend to make unrealistic odds a commonality.

• Administrators

Please see

for the math behind why this is the case. You're likely conflating a ">=" with a ">" comparison.

• Like 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

4 hours ago, Alex said:

for the math behind why this is the case. You're likely conflating a ">=" with a ">" comparison.

What the hell are you talking about??

I have to do what he describes as well. I had 87 ships opponent has almost half as many. Still a moderate success. This happens alot with naval. 

Like I said in the other post this doesn't happen in reverse at all.

5 minutes ago, Deulos said:

What the hell are you talking about??

I have to do what he describes as well. I had 87 ships opponent has almost half as many. Still a moderate success. This happens alot with naval. 

Like I said in the other post this doesn't happen in reverse at all.

You need anything above a 2.5x greater force to guarantee an immense triumph result.

It can happen in the reverse too, but I doubt a lot of people are as willing to try that since the odds would be stacked against them and the risk being too great, however I have gotten such rolls before (immense triumph from a 1440 vs 1800 dogfight)

Look up to the sky above~

16 minutes ago, Aiya said:

You need anything above a 2.5x greater force to guarantee an immense triumph result.

This statement is half-true half-false.

Since the servers cannot use decimals(0.1, 0.5, etc), the numbers are bumped to their nearest integer. 

If I'm not wrong, the multiplication of the 0.x factor happens on the raw number of ships you use.

Based on it, a 1 ship can have a max values of 1 ships(rounded to 1). You'd need atleast 4 ships to secure a IT(3×0.4=1.2, rounds to 1, giving opponent the victory in offensive wars you declare).

Basically, you need to figure out what numbers you need to get to minimum value to get guaranteed IT.

• Like 1

Interesting, I concur and understand. It is extremely odd indeed. This also happened when I had more than 2 times my opponent's navy. Granted, it did eventually give me an IT but it required my opponent to have 53 ships to my 150 (opponent is c-11 to my c-10). When my opponent had 71 ships to my 150, it only gave MS still. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Alexander the Great said:

Interesting, I concur and understand. It is extremely odd indeed. This also happened when I had more than 2 times my opponent's navy. Granted, it did eventually give me an IT but it required my opponent to have 53 ships to my 150 (opponent is c-11 to my c-10). When my opponent had 71 ships to my 150, it only gave MS still. 

Each attack is randomly generated over 3 rolls, so there are a lot of possible outcomes. But you can do the math yourself to see if it's possible to lose a roll by knowing that each side is going to "roll" a random integer between 40% and 100% of their ships.

E.g.: 150 ships vs 53, possible rolls for each side are:

[150*0.4,150] = [60,150]

[53*0.4,53] = [21,53]

So in that instance you would be sure to get an IT every time. Simply having 2x as many ships, however, is not enough because:

E.g. 100 ships vs 50 ships:

[100*0.4,100] = [40,100]

[50*0.4,50] = [20,50]

If you roll a 40 and your opponent rolls a 50, you lose that round. That could happen once (MS), twice (PV), or three times (UF). Or, maybe it won't happen at all (IT). Any outcome is possible, though it's certainly weighted towards a IT/MS outcome.

• Thanks 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link