Introduction of Configurable DEFCON Levels

Initial thought and sure there are plenty of holes to poke in this...

Introduce configurable DECON levels: 1 though 5

Why?

1. Streamline switching between peace build and war build

2. Would make the game more mobile friendly. Plain and simple, it's a pain in the butt to adjust wartime configuration on a mobile phone. For example, war is declared on a user. Having pre-configured their DEFCON levels, user goes into Edit Nation to adjust DEFCON rather than going in and either manually making adjustments to each improvement in each city, or doing import/export functions via their phone.

3. Adds a fun element to the game and able to see posturing of nations/alliances. For example, you could average the DEFCONs of all the nations in an alliance to see that alliance's DEFCON level.

How it could work...

Adjusting DEFCON level contingent on ample resources/cash/infrastructure to add/remove improvements. Allows user to select which improvements to demolish in favor of military buildout, and War Policy for each level.

Allow user to go in and set their default military buildout and select which improvements can be adjusted up or down based on the selected DEFCON level. War Policies can also be selected for each DEFCON level.

DEFCON 1 - Full military readiness. Removes non-essential Raw Resources, Manufacturing, Civil, and Commerce improvements in favor of full military buildout. Adjusts War policy for war.

DEFCON 2 - Increased military readiness, but not maximal. Increase in military readiness to 80% of DEFCON 5. 

DEFCON 3 - Increased military readiness, above normal readiness. Increase in military readiness to 60% of DEFCON 5.

DEFCON 4 - Normal military readiness, increased readiness. Military buildouts are at their default levels with updated war policy.

DEFCON 5 - Normal military readiness. Military buildouts are at their default levels with peace-time war policy.

Example:

User Defaults:

1 Barracks / 1 Factory / 1 Hanger / 1 Drydock ;

Variable Improvements (in priority order): Farm, Uranium Mine, Supermarket ;

War Policy: DEFCON 5: Arcane; DEFCON 4: Covert; DEFCON 3: Covert; DEFCON 2: Moneybags; DEFCON 1: Attrition

Logic Examples:

DEFCON 5: User Default

Result: 1 Barracks / 1 Factory / 1 Hanger / 1 Drydock

DEFCON 4: User Default, DEFCON 4 War Policy

Result: 1 Barracks / 1 Factory / 1 Hanger / 1 Drydock - DEFCON 4: Covert

DEFCON 3: For each improvement, if improvement count < 3 then set at 3. Drydock maxes out here. DEFCON 3 War Policy. Difference from total improvements vs. allowed improvements is subtracted from Farm until = 0, then Uranium Mine until = 0, etc. 

Result: 3 Barracks / 3 Factory / 3 Hanger / 3 Drydock

DEFCON 2: For each improvement, if improvement count < 4 then set at 4. Difference from total improvements vs. allowed improvements is subtracted from Farm until = 0, then Uranium Mine until = 0, etc. 

Result: 4 Barracks / 4 Factory / 4 Hanger / 3 Drydock - DEFCON 2 War Policy

DEFCON 1: For each improvement, if improvement count < 5 then set equal to 5. All military improvements maxed out. Difference from total improvements vs. allowed improvements is subtracted from Farm until = 0, then Uranium Mine until = 0, etc. 

Result: 5 Barracks / 5 Factory / 5 Hanger / 3 Drydock

Example Error Scenarios:

If a user selects a DEFCON level where certain elements are out of bounds to support the change (not enough cash, resources, changed policy recently), the action should not fail but user will be notified that the specific update to improvements/war policy/domestic policy was unable to be processed, similar to handling a bulk improvement update if one city fails.

Again, sure there are plenty of holes in this and maybe it's a terrible idea altogether but open to feedback and thoughts from game admins and players.

Edited by Phillip The Great
Corrected a few things
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

There's a tool called "Bulk Import to All Cities" that does much the same thing (if you have a build saved elsewhere, you can copy it and paste it into the template, and it'll go through each city and switch the entire build if you have enough resources). That's likely the best thing you're looking for, because if you have it all saved elsewhere you can just copy/paste to switch builds. Were you thinking about something else that I'm missing?

Edited by Solomon Ben-David
  • Upvote 1

4.png

These builds are ew, and at this point the game is playing itself for you. I would much rather prefer CN's Defcon, and Threat System 

information.gif DEFCON - DEFCON (DEFense CONdition) level allows nations to specify their national defense condition. DEFCON is a series of different alert conditions that players can set for their nation in the event of an emergency. The five levels of DEFCON are:

• DEFCON 5 - Normal peacetime military readiness. (+2 happiness, +20% initial soldier cost, 76% soldier efficiency, tank, navy, aircraft strength in battle)
  • DEFCON 4 - Normal military readiness, increased intelligence and strengthened security measures. (+1 happiness, +10% initial soldier cost, 81% soldier efficiency, tank, navy, aircraft strength in battle)
  • DEFCON 3 - Increased military readiness above normal readiness. (+0 happiness, +0% initial soldier cost, 86% soldier efficiency, tank, navy, aircraft strength in battle)
  • DEFCON 2 - Increased military readiness, but less than maximum readiness. (-1 happiness, -10% initial soldier cost, 93% soldier efficiency, tank, navy, aircraft strength in battle)
  • DEFCON 1 - Maximum military readiness. (-2 happiness, -20% initial soldier cost, 100% soldier efficiency, tank, navy, aircraft strength in battle)

Ofcourse since PnW doesnt have Happiness, that can be replaced by Commcerce. Defcon 1 giving no extra Commerce and Defcon 5 giving 4% extra commerce that goes over the hard cap.

information.gif Threat Level - The threat level indicator allows nations to prepare for possible terrorist spy attacks. The more elevated the threat level indicator the more prepared the nation's counter intelligence systems will be to thwart enemy spy attacks. Adjusting your nation's threat level has the following effect on your nation's population happiness:

• Low (-0.0 population happiness, 75% counter intelligence readiness)
  • Guarded (-0.5 population happiness, 90% counter intelligence readiness)
  • Elevated (-1.0 population happiness, 100% counter intelligence readiness)
  • High - (-1.5 population happiness, 110% counter intelligence readiness)
  • Severe - (-2.0 population happiness, 125% counter intelligence readiness)

Again, replace happiness with commerce. Severe having 0% and Low having 4% extra commerce that goes over the hard cap.

• Downvote 1

TCM3_1_281x175.png.d5f909d45f36d3dcb3722580e7b7ecc2.png
Coal Duke (Imperator Emeritus) of The Coal Mines
Diety Emeritus of The Immortals, Patres Conscripti (President Emeritus) of the Independent Republic of Orange Nations, Lieutenant Emeritus of Black Skies, Imperator Emeritus of the Valyrian Freehold, Imperator Emeritus of the Divine Phoenix, Prefect Emeritus of Carthago, Regent Emeritus of the New Polar Order

The flashbacks. The horror.

tenor.gif

• Haha 3

In paradisum deducant te Angeli; in tuo adventu suscipiant te martyres, et perducant te in civitatem sanctam Ierusalem.
Chorus angelorum te suscipiat, et cüm Lazaro quondam paupere æternam habeas requiem.

I like the idea of saving builds and then just swapping to them with a dropdown. It could take 15 min to swap to a war build on mobile. The back button on exporting a build made it so much worse.

• Upvote 2

Guest Zephyr
9 hours ago, Solomon Ben-David said:

There's a tool called "Bulk Import to All Cities" that does much the same thing (if you have a build saved elsewhere, you can copy it and paste it into the template, and it'll go through each city and switch the entire build if you have enough resources). That's likely the best thing you're looking for, because if you have it all saved elsewhere you can just copy/paste to switch builds. Were you thinking about something else that I'm missing?

They're suggesting (as I understand it) implementing a feature that allows players to pre-configure various DEFCON levels that would each change city builds and war policy for one's nation when selected. What you instead described was an existing feature that allows players to copy and paste a city build into a form that applies the build to all cities. The difference between what you've described and what Phillip the Great described was that yours is less convenient, slower, and does not also automatically change the nation's war policy.

9 hours ago, JadenStar10 said:

These builds are ew, and at this point the game is playing itself for you.

This might be an argument worth considering if you actually believed that, but visiting your alliance's Discord we can see you use Locutus, so you're really just throwing this argument in hoping it sticks to someone more ignorant. That is to say, in a game where alliances are using Discord bots to compile information automatically and other clever things, this argument is extremely weak. As if you'd draw the line here while bots automate target lists, lots of tedious IA duties, some MA and so forth. This is not a compelling or convincing argument from you at this point. The suggestion is simply to extend some of the existing automation already available into a new feature that further reduces the tediousness of managing builds and war policy to make preparation for war (or peace) easier.

9 hours ago, JadenStar10 said:

I would much rather prefer CN's Defcon, and Threat System 

information.gif DEFCON - DEFCON (DEFense CONdition) level allows nations to specify their national defense condition. DEFCON is a series of different alert conditions that players can set for their nation in the event of an emergency. The five levels of DEFCON are:

• DEFCON 5 - Normal peacetime military readiness. (+2 happiness, +20% initial soldier cost, 76% soldier efficiency, tank, navy, aircraft strength in battle)
  • DEFCON 4 - Normal military readiness, increased intelligence and strengthened security measures. (+1 happiness, +10% initial soldier cost, 81% soldier efficiency, tank, navy, aircraft strength in battle)
  • DEFCON 3 - Increased military readiness above normal readiness. (+0 happiness, +0% initial soldier cost, 86% soldier efficiency, tank, navy, aircraft strength in battle)
  • DEFCON 2 - Increased military readiness, but less than maximum readiness. (-1 happiness, -10% initial soldier cost, 93% soldier efficiency, tank, navy, aircraft strength in battle)
  • DEFCON 1 - Maximum military readiness. (-2 happiness, -20% initial soldier cost, 100% soldier efficiency, tank, navy, aircraft strength in battle)

Ofcourse since PnW doesnt have Happiness, that can be replaced by Commcerce. Defcon 1 giving no extra Commerce and Defcon 5 giving 4% extra commerce that goes over the hard cap.

information.gif Threat Level - The threat level indicator allows nations to prepare for possible terrorist spy attacks. The more elevated the threat level indicator the more prepared the nation's counter intelligence systems will be to thwart enemy spy attacks. Adjusting your nation's threat level has the following effect on your nation's population happiness:

• Low (-0.0 population happiness, 75% counter intelligence readiness)
  • Guarded (-0.5 population happiness, 90% counter intelligence readiness)
  • Elevated (-1.0 population happiness, 100% counter intelligence readiness)
  • High - (-1.5 population happiness, 110% counter intelligence readiness)
  • Severe - (-2.0 population happiness, 125% counter intelligence readiness)

Again, replace happiness with commerce. Severe having 0% and Low having 4% extra commerce that goes over the hard cap.

I think it would be more appropriate to start a new thread for your idea on a DEFCON implementation as it seems to only be related by name, and otherwise vastly different in effect to Phillip the Great's suggestion.

10 hours ago, Phillip The Great said:

Initial thought and sure there are plenty of holes to poke in this...

Introduce configurable DECON levels: 1 though 5

Why?

1. Streamline switching between peace build and war build

2. Would make the game more mobile friendly. Plain and simple, it's a pain in the butt to adjust wartime configuration on a mobile phone. For example, war is declared on a user. Having pre-configured their DEFCON levels, user goes into Edit Nation to adjust DEFCON rather than going in and either manually making adjustments to each improvement in each city, or doing import/export functions via their phone.

3. Adds a fun element to the game and able to see posturing of nations/alliances. For example, you could average the DEFCONs of all the nations in an alliance to see that alliance's DEFCON level.

How it could work...

Adjusting DEFCON level contingent on ample resources/cash/infrastructure to add/remove improvements. Allows user to select which improvements to demolish in favor of military buildout, and War Policy for each level.

Allow user to go in and set their default military buildout and select which improvements can be adjusted up or down based on the selected DEFCON level. War Policies can also be selected for each DEFCON level.

DEFCON 1 - Full military readiness. Removes non-essential Raw Resources, Manufacturing, Civil, and Commerce improvements in favor of full military buildout. Adjusts War policy for war.

DEFCON 2 - Increased military readiness, but not maximal. Increase in military readiness to 80% of DEFCON 5. 

DEFCON 3 - Increased military readiness, above normal readiness. Increase in military readiness to 60% of DEFCON 5.

DEFCON 4 - Normal military readiness, increased readiness. Military buildouts are at their default levels with updated war policy.

DEFCON 5 - Normal military readiness. Military buildouts are at their default levels with peace-time war policy.

Example:

User Defaults:

1 Barracks / 1 Factory / 1 Hanger / 1 Drydock ;

Variable Improvements (in priority order): Farm, Uranium Mine, Supermarket ;

War Policy: DEFCON 5: Arcane; DEFCON 4: Covert; DEFCON 3: Covert; DEFCON 2: Moneybags; DEFCON 1: Attrition

Logic Examples:

DEFCON 5: User Default

Result: 1 Barracks / 1 Factory / 1 Hanger / 1 Drydock

DEFCON 4: User Default, DEFCON 4 War Policy

Result: 1 Barracks / 1 Factory / 1 Hanger / 1 Drydock - DEFCON 4: Covert

DEFCON 3: For each improvement, if improvement count < 3 then set at 3. Drydock maxes out here. DEFCON 3 War Policy. Difference from total improvements vs. allowed improvements is subtracted from Farm until = 0, then Uranium Mine until = 0, etc. 

Result: 3 Barracks / 3 Factory / 3 Hanger / 3 Drydock

DEFCON 2: For each improvement, if improvement count < 4 then set at 4. Difference from total improvements vs. allowed improvements is subtracted from Farm until = 0, then Uranium Mine until = 0, etc. 

Result: 4 Barracks / 4 Factory / 4 Hanger / 3 Drydock - DEFCON 2 War Policy

DEFCON 1: For each improvement, if improvement count < 5 then set equal to 5. All military improvements maxed out. Difference from total improvements vs. allowed improvements is subtracted from Farm until = 0, then Uranium Mine until = 0, etc. 

Result: 5 Barracks / 5 Factory / 5 Hanger / 3 Drydock

Example Error Scenarios:

If a user selects a DEFCON level where certain elements are out of bounds to support the change (not enough cash, resources, changed policy recently), the action should not fail but user will be notified that the specific update to improvements/war policy/domestic policy was unable to be processed, similar to handling a bulk improvement update if one city fails.

Again, sure there are plenty of holes in this and maybe it's a terrible idea altogether but open to feedback and thoughts from game admins and players.

I like the idea, though I'd like to add a few of my own thoughts:

• Let players create and name the DEFCON levels themselves so that they can choose a naming convention that works best for them and only as many DEFCON levels as they actually need (Alex can put a limit in place).
  • Add the ability to indicate military units to buy, and a buy order in case of resource shortage.
  • The system should not automatically continue to implement DEFCON levels each day, and thus should not automatically purchase lost buildings, or continue buying military units. I think players should need to click the DEFCON level button each time they wish to enforce its configuration so that military purchasing and so on still requires direct player interaction with the game.
Edited by Zephyr

10 hours ago, Zephyr said:

This might be an argument worth considering if you actually believed that, but visiting your alliance's Discord we can see you use Locutus, so you're really just throwing this argument in hoping it sticks to someone more ignorant. That is to say, in a game where alliances are using Discord bots to compile information automatically and other clever things, this argument is extremely weak. As if you'd draw the line here while bots automate target lists, lots of tedious IA duties, some MA and so forth. This is not a compelling or convincing argument from you at this point. The suggestion is simply to extend some of the existing automation already available into a new feature that further reduces the tediousness of managing builds and war policy to make preparation for war (or peace) easier.

chromo.png
You assume I use Locutus for any of those things. All its used for is to grab people's link.

TCM3_1_281x175.png.d5f909d45f36d3dcb3722580e7b7ecc2.png
Coal Duke (Imperator Emeritus) of The Coal Mines
Diety Emeritus of The Immortals, Patres Conscripti (President Emeritus) of the Independent Republic of Orange Nations, Lieutenant Emeritus of Black Skies, Imperator Emeritus of the Valyrian Freehold, Imperator Emeritus of the Divine Phoenix, Prefect Emeritus of Carthago, Regent Emeritus of the New Polar Order

Guest Zephyr
2 hours ago, JadenStar10 said:

chromo.png
You assume I use Locutus for any of those things. All its used for is to grab people's link.

"You assume I benefit from automation, but actually I do". Is this supposed to be a rebuttal? Did you want to try hitting any of my other points that don't revolve around you, or are you just happy talking about yourself and posting a funny picture?

For what it's worth, Zephyr's reply captures the essence of what I'm after with this feature suggestion: The suggestion is simply to extend some of the existing automation already available into a new feature that further reduces the tediousness of managing builds and war policy to make preparation for war (or peace) easier.

I like the DEFCON approach because 1) I think it's kind of fun to be able to see how individuals and alliances are posturing themselves, and 2) having played CN for a while, it seemed like one of the more logical ways to implement a feature like this.

Guest Zephyr
1 hour ago, Phillip The Great said:

For what it's worth, Zephyr's reply captures the essence of what I'm after with this feature suggestion: The suggestion is simply to extend some of the existing automation already available into a new feature that further reduces the tediousness of managing builds and war policy to make preparation for war (or peace) easier.

I like the DEFCON approach because 1) I think it's kind of fun to be able to see how individuals and alliances are posturing themselves, and 2) having played CN for a while, it seemed like one of the more logical ways to implement a feature like this.

I don't think DEFCON level should be visible to other players, and would suggest the DEFCON feature simply be a tool for quickly configuring one's nation. I had assumed the name of this feature to be more for personal role play purposes because unless the DEFCON configurations are standardised for all players, the selection of any specific DEFCON level would not be meaningful to other players.

• Wiki Mod

In regards to the OP. I think the effort would be better spent streamlining the existing mass tools. Although I still say the correct solution is shift the mechanics away from build swapping as a meta. Something something choices something something.

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

11 hours ago, Dr Rush said:

In regards to the OP. I think the effort would be better spent streamlining the existing mass tools. Although I still say the correct solution is shift the mechanics away from build swapping as a meta. Something something choices something something.

I actually think replacing military buildings with DEFCON status could be a solid sweeping change. Allowing nations to always have the ability to build military units regardless of whether or not you've built arbitrary buildings.

Each defcon gives you access to a larger daily rebuy amount (like 33/50/66/75/100% of your daily rebuy based on city count) at the cost of a flat upkeep fee per city.