More realism in game mechanics

Phoenyx

I'm hoping we could have some more realism in some game mechanics. 

Some ideas:

1- Pretty much everyone has nuclear power. Where is all the nuclear waste?

2- Pollution seems to have very negligible effects. Populations don't like it and are somewhat reduced because of it, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference otherwise. I speak as someone who has tons of it, precisely because the effects seem to be so minimal while the monetary rewards for disregarding it seem fairly substantial. In the real world, those effects aren't minimal.  Pollution also contributes to global warming. Speaking of which...

3- Thinking creating a global warming mechanic might be worthwhile. 

Edited by Phoenyx
  • Upvote 2

1) I dont think we should add a mechanic because you want to RP.

2) Pollution doesnt have that big of an effect IRL as it relates to population or else china would have 3 people.

3) I would also like an ice age mechanic then...

• Upvote 1

I don't completely disagree there could be changes using irl rationale, but 100% realism doesn't make sense at the expense of mechanics  

7 hours ago, Phoenyx said:

1- Pretty much everyone has nuclear power. Where is all the nuclear waste?

This is an interesting idea which could balance the usage of coal oil and wind plants. I think nuclear waste could increase local disease (and global radiation?) to make others more competitive, but that would something to balance the others. You would still see a lot of nuclear power since it is slot efficient, but it could be interesting to provide for other builds since nuclear power is 100% the best once you're any reasonable size. 

2- Pollution seems to have very negligible effects. Populations don't like it and are somewhat reduced because of it, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference otherwise. I speak as someone who has tons of it, precisely because the effects seem to be so minimal while the monetary rewards for disregarding it seem fairly substantial. In the real world, those effects aren't minimal.  Pollution also contributes to global warming. Speaking of which...

Anyone running a commerce build knows pollution has a significant effect on your bottom line. Pollution increases disease rating which leads to lower population (due to higher death rate), so anyone wanting to maximize their income has to deal with pollution and disease. Only in resource slave cities can you get away with not dealing with pollution. 

3- Thinking creating a global warming mechanic might be worthwhile. 

There's a lot of possibilities here. Any ideas on how you'd implement it?

• Like 1

Hey Krampus, the signature edit is under account settings. Actually, here's the link.

https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/settings/signature/

20 hours ago, zigbigadorlou said:

I don't completely disagree there could be changes using irl rationale, but 100% realism doesn't make sense at the expense of mechanics  

This is an interesting idea which could balance the usage of coal oil and wind plants. I think nuclear waste could increase local disease (and global radiation?) to make others more competitive, but that would something to balance the others. You would still see a lot of nuclear power since it is slot efficient, but it could be interesting to provide for other builds since nuclear power is 100% the best once you're any reasonable size. 

Anyone running a commerce build knows pollution has a significant effect on your bottom line. Pollution increases disease rating which leads to lower population (due to higher death rate), so anyone wanting to maximize their income has to deal with pollution and disease. Only in resource slave cities can you get away with not dealing with pollution. 

There's a lot of possibilities here. Any ideas on how you'd implement it?

I agree, 100% realism would be super dull. But -some- extra realism could add a bit of dynamism to the game I think. You also make a very good point regarding other types of power plants. Put simply, in this game, nothing even comes close to Nuclear Power- a single slot, uses very little uranium, and 0 pollution. In real life, that's just not the case and I think having something to acknowledge that in game could also make make other options more attractive.

I completely agree that if you're running a commerce build, pollution is important. However, if you're not, it's almost irrelevant.

Anyway, in terms of implementation, when it comes to nuclear power, nuclear waste disposal is quite expensive. So tacking on a hefty 'operational cost' for waste could possibly do it. I've been thinking of something else too, but this goes much deeper. It has to do with infrastructure and land. The way things are now, 100 infrastructure means you get 2 improvement slots. If you think about it though, this is a very 2 dimensional type of thing. In the real world, you definitely need infrastructure, but what's generally far more important is land. In the real world, it doesn't just affect farming output. To give you an idea of where I'm going with this, I don't think a wind farm doesn't need much in the way of infrastructure, but it does need land area. I think that instead of the current system of having 2 improvement slots for 100 infrastructure, we instead ditch the current infrastructure model and treat it more like, say, a subway. Useful for reducing things like pollution and can increase commerce, but not intimately tied to improvements. I think that improvements should be more closely tied to land, as with my example of wind farms. 

Now the real hitch is what I'll call legacy- basically, to make it so that people who have invested so much in infrastructure are compensated in any infrastructure overhaul. Perhaps a conversion of infrastructure into equivalent land value perhaps. I'm also thinking that more attention could be paid attention to manpower, which in our current system isn't really a thing. I'm talking about things like highly skilled labour. In the real world, this is a big thing. Also, government types have real consequences in the real world. However, I fully admit that that question can get really complicated. 

Oh, one last thing I didn't even bring up and I really wish was something is to make maps mean something more than whether you can mine things like bauxite or coal. I used to play a game called "Call of War". In that game, who your neighbours were really mattered- they could help defend you or they could turn against you and how far your enemies or friends were in relation to your own nation really mattered. In this game, every nation is pretty much right next to each other, so while you can still have allies and enemies, distance doesn't really exist.

• Wiki Mod

1. My nations uses breeder reactors.

2. Why?

3. Why?

Realism is not an argument in a spreadsheet simulator. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

While yes, realism is a poor argument for a reason to implement or not implement something, it doesn't mean there isn't something that can come from this. Perhaps periods of time where pollution levels are at a certain threshold land levels being to decrease. If you go 10 days at 100 pollution in a city, perhaps that city loses 1% of it's current land total. The idea being the land becomes unlivable, or too polluted to be useful to the nation.

• Downvote 1

scSqPGJ.gif

• Wiki Mod

Why?

• Upvote 2

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid