What is the whale cutoff?

zigbigadorlou

What is the whale cutoff?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. What city count will qualify you as a whale?

• Less than 25
    • 25-26
    • 27-28
    • 29-30
    • 31-33
    • 34+
    • Its not based on a city count

8 minutes ago, Horsecock said:

FeelsChromosomeMan.png.b4ceb78efb6097d7f0a634e469bcae63.png

I'm guessing this is just a gut reaction to realizing a third of the alliance you lead is whales.

• Haha 3

Hey Krampus, the signature edit is under account settings. Actually, here's the link.

https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/settings/signature/

Over 30 cities is whale, but I think mindset is a significant part of it.

I have 31 cities but I don't consider myself a whale. Meanwhile, the members of Alpha we thrashed recently are whales.

new_forum_sig_2.png

I remember folks a while ago saying it was city 20+. However I believe it's now 30+. Perhaps perceptions of what a whale is shifts as more and more nations grow larger and larger relative to others. 

• Upvote 3

I would say c35+ is a whale, c30-c34 is in that weird place where we'll call them whales, and they feel like whales, but they just miss the cutoff cuz they were the cutoff in like 2019

TCM3_1_281x175.png.d5f909d45f36d3dcb3722580e7b7ecc2.png
Coal Duke (Imperator Emeritus) of The Coal Mines
Diety Emeritus of The Immortals, Patres Conscripti (President Emeritus) of the Independent Republic of Orange Nations, Lieutenant Emeritus of Black Skies, Imperator Emeritus of the Valyrian Freehold, Imperator Emeritus of the Divine Phoenix, Prefect Emeritus of Carthago, Regent Emeritus of the New Polar Order

4 hours ago, zigbigadorlou said:

I'm guessing this is just a gut reaction to realizing a third of the alliance you lead is whales.

Rename KT to Killer Whales. Or Knight Whales or something.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Rin said:

Rename KT to Killer Whales. Or Knight Whales or something.

100% this, TEst back in the day were basically whales lmfao but no one would really say that; personally I just called us killer whales to someone like Pantheon's true whaledom :P

3 minutes ago, hidude45454 said:

100% this, TEst back in the day were basically whales lmfao but no one would really say that; personally I just called us killer whales to someone like Pantheon's true whaledom :P

We called ourselves orcas.

• Upvote 1

new_forum_sig_2.png

This thread shows that it depends on who you ask. A lot of raiders use the term whale and farmer interchangeably.

Others will just say the whale tier is the mega-tier of PnW.

I think it has to do with a multitude of factors though. If you're a c35 but with 500 infra raiding people you aren't a whale. If you're at c27 but have 4k infra per city you could very well be a whale.

So cities aren't the only thing. Whales are generally the inflated nations in PnW who have a higher city count but also a higher-than-normal infra count. Other typical things include staying at a higher level of militarization than normal nations, not logging in as often as other players, lacking war mechanics knowledge, and being less-than-active in the social settings like discord or the forums.

A lot of the typicalities of whaledom are negative associations. It's definitely not a compliment to be called a whale, but it's not always an insult. Sometimes just a fact. Krampus is a whale, for instance, but not in a bad way. Wampus is also a whale but definitely in a bad way.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, JadenStar10 said:

I would say c35+ is a whale, c30-c34 is in that weird place where we'll call them whales, and they feel like whales, but they just miss the cutoff cuz they were the cutoff in like 2019

In Grumpy, we call ourselves the orca brigade. 

9 hours ago, Thalmor said:

We called ourselves orcas.

And yes, I disagree with your usage of orca as well. 

• Like 2

Hey Krampus, the signature edit is under account settings. Actually, here's the link.

https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/settings/signature/

I usually just go by what ever city count grump's lowest member is + 2250 avg. infra minimum to call someone a whale.

back in the beginning of Knightfall most people I remember considered the cutoff 23 or 25, nowadays id say its at least somewhere like 28 to 34 to be a true whale, maybe a few less cities with higher infra to be called a beluga or mini-whale. 

i use the term whaler/whale-hunter interchangeably to describe both nations that hunt whale tier (most common use) or anyone that habitually hunts people 8+ cities than them regardless of city count.

orca i use for militaristic smaller whales and mini whales and even the high end of upper tier if they fight whale tier

and then Albino Whales are c40+

Edited by Deborah Kobayashi
  • Upvote 1