The Descent of the Pixelhugger

Thalmor

53 minutes ago, WarriorSoul said:

There's nothing else to be gained there. You can say that this is KT's (or whomever's) way of enjoying the game, but it's just sadism lol.

aaf.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

new_forum_sig_2.png

2 hours ago, WarriorSoul said:

Yeah, I get what you're saying. You're observing the way things are, and you're largely correct. What I'm saying is we have created, whether by choice or simply through lack of choice, this false dichotomy wherein the only people who really do get to enjoy the game are the warlike (or semi-warlike) ones. To say that one can enjoy the game in whatever way they please isn't really true when the people who would prefer not to fight don't really get a say in the matter.

For instance, the only reason to attack an alliance like Alpha, unprovoked, is exclusively to derive enjoyment from others' losses. There's nothing else to be gained there. You can say that this is KT's (or whomever's) way of enjoying the game, but it's just sadism lol.

I get it, I do. You want to enjoy the game without being disturbed by war. But this is a nation simulator with war mechanics. You sign up for this game and understand what you are getting into. If you don't want to fight then maybe just stay and chat with your alliance mates in discord while not being in the game, try to get Sheepy to implement a peace mode, or join Nationstates which is a nation simulator without war. War is a core component of this game and saying KT are sadists for playing the game how it was designed to be played is kind of silly.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Mayor said:

I get it, I do. You want to enjoy the game without being disturbed by war. But this is a nation simulator with war mechanics. You sign up for this game and understand what you are getting into. If you don't want to fight then maybe just stay and chat with your alliance mates in discord while not being in the game, try to get Sheepy to implement a peace mode, or join Nationstates which is a nation simulator without war. War is a core component of this game and saying KT are sadists for playing the game how it was designed to be played is kind of silly.

Lol I think you've got me a little mixed up. I like the war mechanic of the game and think it keeps things fun overall, but not everyone does and we've collectively decided that's just too bad for them, because some folks want to have fun at their expense and then do dumb posts about it. I'm not really gonna belabor this point any longer because it's very clearly not worth the time :)

6 minutes ago, WarriorSoul said:

Lol I think you've got me a little mixed up. I like the war mechanic of the game and think it keeps things fun overall, but not everyone does and we've collectively decided that's just too bad for them, because some folks want to have fun at their expense and then do dumb posts about it. I'm not really gonna belabor this point any longer because it's very clearly not worth the time :)

Good Day Sir! I Said Good Day! - I SAID GOOD DAY, SIR!!! | Meme Generator

19 hours ago, Thalmor said:

More words than I can read in one sitting

I will agree to rejoin Thalmor radio if you read this on air tomorrow 😖

• Haha 2

Hey Krampus, the signature edit is under account settings. Actually, here's the link.

https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/settings/signature/

I might be more inclined to join in the moral outcry if the people being hit had been more participant in the community. Isolationist styles of play are detrimental to the overall meta and KT forcing these guys into the spotlight is basically doing both them and the community a twisted sort of service.

If they ragequit from going to war then it was likely they had one and-a-half feet out the door already.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Thalmor said:

kt_meme_descent.jpg

---

8:17 PM

The day had been pleasant, for a change. Work wasn't good, but it was better than usual. There were no particularly troublesome customers, and Jonathan had been unusually friendly. Maybe he was getting over whatever problem he had with you, and perhaps now you two could start to become friends for a change?

After work, you met up with your friends at that new pizza place. You had been looking forward to this for weeks. It wasn't often that the four of you could meet up, thanks to everyone's school, work, and family obligations. The food was good, and you though the girl at the counter was eyeballing you some.

So... the day was decent. It was a 6 out of 10, maybe 7 out of 10. The best way to top it off would be to enjoy some time on the internet. You change into more comfortable clothes, crack open a cold one (beer, soda, or water- your choice) and sit down at your computer. You enter your password and your computer fully whirs to life.

You go to watch your favorite Twitch streamer, but stop before you can finish typing out the words into Google. Instead, you hold down backspace, and instead search for Politics and War.

It's been a few days since you last logged in, and even longer since you were on Discord. Logging into the game, an interesting sight greets you.

notifications.png

---

8:29 PM

The words 'utter failure' borrow into your head. As the adrenaline kicked in, you did all you could to fight back against your attackers; of which there are three of the bastards. However, the numbers were against you, and all you succeeded in doing was putting yourself into an even worse position.

By the time you ran out of MAPs, the heaviness in your chest had fully set in. Your cities were being pummeled, two of your attackers had 'Air Superiority', and the third one had 'Ground Control'. You weren't fully sure what these terms meant, but you knew it was bad that they had those things and you didn't.

Finally, some mechanism in your brain triggered, and the initial shock and panic had subsided. Rather than thrash around like a trapped animal, you bend over slightly, put your hand on your chin, and start thinking. You asked yourself a simple question. "How am I going to get out of this mess?"

As you carefully scrolled your nation page for some hope - praying that all the numbers and statistics would hold some golden nugget of information - you find the answer. The answer, in fact, was so obvious that you were surprised you didn't think of it immediately beforehand.

Your would ask your alliance for help.

---

8:42 PM

Logging into Discord, you find 12 pings awaiting you. Most of them are @everyone or @here spam from trolls, two of them are @everyone pings from government, and 1 was a member of government thanking you for your taxes.

Joining this alliance as a City 32 nation was a bit odd, but you've known the leader for a while as you've been Steam buddies with him for years (going back to your Counter-Strike days), and he promised you a voice in government if you agreed to 40/20 taxes (higher than the 20/10 the alliance runs for the rest). You felt good about helping the new, smaller players who joined the alliance, so you agreed. Of course, It didn't hurt to have some power too.

You navigate past the Discord channels to find the member chat... passing up some archives, the public chats (including a NSFW chat you've been meaning to check out), and a room for the bots. Upon finally finding the member chat, you type out your plea.

"hey im getting attacked. can i get some help??"

Unfortunately, your message is lost in the sea of the member chat. The member chat is full of similar such requests, but also of some despair. A member of the alliance that you don't recognize, ForkofApple, voices his displeasure.

"Guys I can't take this damage I think I'm gona quit."

Your mind races. The entire member chat is full of similar such messages; of the collective of the alliance requesting help or voicing great displeasure. The heaviness in your chest returns.

As the largest tax payer, you were promised by you leader some power in the community. You realize you have a duty to... try and do something to help. Clearly you should ask the 'Military Department' head for assistance.

You send him a message on Discord, but he is offline. A quick look through Discord reveals that he hasn't said anything on Discord in over a week, and hasn't even logged into the game for over 3 days. That's a dead end.

The chest heaviness is gone, but a general sense of dread fills the crevasses of your mind. You get another notification. You open it.

Dope Dealer of Dope Land ordered a ground attack upon your nation of New New Canada. The attack was an immense triumph. Dope Dealer forces lost 7,672 soldiers and 127 tanks, while your defenders lost 28,102 soldiers and 1,284 tanks. You used 260 tons of munitions and 232.40 tons of gasoline defending the attack. The attack destroyed 229.01 infrastructure in the city of Newer Quebeccz. Dope Dealer stole $2,496,880.98 in the attack and destroyed 0 improvements.

You swallow. Your drink from earlier is at room temperature, and is mostly untouched.

---

9:02

After pacing around your home some, you get on your computer and are pleasantly surprised to see a Discord message from your leader.

Your leader, who you know simply as Disciple, sends you two short messages.

"Hey man hows its going"

"How much gas and ammo do you have?"

You respond, but then stop. You check on your resources, and then respond.

"im good except im getting screwed in my butt lol"

"4000 gas and  2100 ammnition"

Disciple doesn't respond to you for some time. You seen him try to coordinate a military response in the member chat, but his own messages are interrupted by people being uncooperative; claiming to either not want to fight, not having the cash/resource to fight, or simply in despair at how their military is mostly destroyed and the enemies are at max military.

You check the alliance page, and a few minutes of discovery later, you find out that almost all 32 members have had their defense slots filled.

Wait, 32? That's odd. You could've sworn it was 37 a few days ago.

You search where you can for several minutes, and find out that within the past hour, 2 members have went into vacation mode, and 3 others have left. A page refresh reveals now 31 members- a 6th member has been kicked by Disciple himself.

You exit out of the game and Discord. You need a break. This day was a 7 out of 10, now it's like a 3 out of 10.

---

10:49

You log back into the game, only to discover 3 more notifications. The last of your tanks were airstriked, and the last of your planes were spies away. Well.. almost anyways. Only a few hundred tanks remain, and only about a hundred planes. Tens of thousands of soldiers remain, but even you know that isn't worth much.

You tried to watch some of your favorite shows to get your mind off of the game, but are unable to lay back and enjoy the media. An idea crosses your mind; why not ask our allies for help?

You log back into Discord, and message Disciple. Asking about your idea. Disciple responds:

"No silver knights and yorktown can't help. they've been hit too. we're just gonna have to fight as hard as we can and see where things are after round 1."

Round 1? What does that mean? Actually, forget it. 1 round of whatever hell this is is already to much. Maybe if your allies could do unto your attackers what they've done to you, maybe it would be okay. However, with your alliance by itself, what does it matter?

You check the alliance page. Now, 29 members. You don't care what happened to them.

Another notification. This time, a ground battle. There goes all your tanks and most of your soldiers.

You check on the members of your allies. Just like your alliance, most of their members have had most of their defense slots filled.

Several times during the past two and a half hours, you've had your hopes crushed. Your attacks failed. Your alliance can't help. The head of military affairs is practically inactive. Your allies can't help. Your military is gone, and your alliance has lost a lot of its members already.

Another notification. A spy op. An unknown nation has killed 22 of your spies in one go.

You swear. You decide that enough is enough. The situation is intolerable. You leave a short rant in the member chat full of profanity. You navigate to the 'Edit Nation' page, then to the Vacation Mode page. You enter '14' into the box. You enter your password (the same you use for all other accounts in your personal life). You check both boxes, and then you click the big blue bottom.

It's over.

---

???

Like a limb severed to save the body in times gone by, you emotionally detach from your nation the best you can. Over the next few days, your nation is ravaged. All your resources and cash are looted. Your military is 0'ed, and your average infrastructure level in each city reaches levels that they haven't been in years. You gain close to a week in beige time, but end up on grey. Perhaps you would've interacted with your nation had you not been in VM, but that is not the case. You inability to interact with your nation drains your interest, and you stop logging in. Your Discord usage also ceases.

You log in once more after quite some time, only to see dozens and dozens of notifications. Your inactivity was rewarded by raiders pillaging what they could from the corpse of your nation- not unlike how scavenger birds eat up a dead deer once the coyotes have had their fill.

Disciple unfriends you on Steam. Perhaps it was the not-so-nice things you said in your rant before you VM'ed. Whatever the case, your ties to your alliance mainly cease. Besides, who needs to be a part of such a shitty alliance that gets itself into such a shitty war anyways? You deserved better. How dare Disciple get you into that kind of situation anyways? He did you a favor by unfriending you. How could he reward your years of internet friendship like that?

Your nation is beyond repair. To many holes in the ship. You think about starting over, but it would take years to get back to where you are now. And, just for what, for this to happen again?

You don't delete your nation, but you cease logging in completely. You block emails from Politics and War, and soon you forget about the game. Eventually, the game itself puts you in VM, and then deletes you itself after a long time passes.

Sometimes you think about the game, but you remember your feelings on that night- when the dumb bastards of some other alliance ganged up on you for no reason. When you were abandoned by your alliance, your leader, and your allies. You decide not to ever return- and you never do.

What a stupid game.

---

🦍

---

kt_meme_descent.jpg

This was written very well, I enjoyed reading this 👏

676912258_galaxybrain.webp.5c1275f9a627f0a3b84e6f73d163a6c5.webp

My opinion may not reflect those of my alliance or its affiliates. Please read at your own discretion.

1 hour ago, Rockefeller said:

I might be more inclined to join in the moral outcry if the people being hit had been more participant in the community.

Some of us pixel huggers are the ones that fund the continuous and increasingly more expensive wars.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ragnarok8085 said:

Some of us pixel huggers are the ones that fund the continuous and increasingly more expensive wars.

Fund? I think not. "War profiteering" is the term you are looking for.

Edited by TRM

5 hours ago, WarriorSoul said:

I guess it is just a different style of play. My first big alliance was the Green Protection Agency which was a neutral alliance and the many times we got attacked or raided I didn't think to myself "I wish everyone would just leave me alone" I wanted to defend my alliance. Also we didn't "collectively decide" much besides going along with what Sheepy designed and intended the game to be. In strategy games you can build a great civilization but it can also unfortunately be destroyed. If someone gets so angry or depressed that their simulated online nation lost some infrastructure and so now they cannot "play the game how they want to play it" is as I said earlier, just silly. And I am not saying you don't like war or do etc. I think you are a nice person I just find your stance a little bewildering.

11 hours ago, TRM said:

Fund? I think not. "War profiteering" is the term you are looking for.

We give people money to fund their war and yes we profit off of that, only so we can give them even more money the next time they need to fight a war.

On 4/16/2021 at 9:32 AM, Ragnarok8085 said:

Correction.

You are funding the continuous and increasingly more expensive wars your leaders get you involved in through backroom shenanigans 👍

Untitled.png

18 hours ago, Charles Bolivar said:

Correction.

You are funding the continuous and increasingly more expensive wars your leaders get you involved in through backroom shenanigans 👍

My alliance doesn't get involved in backroom shenanigans. Unless you count giving out loans.