Rockefeller Rants: Alliance Edition(s)

Raphael

57 minutes ago, Polar Bear ArcticExplorer said:

Would be nice to see more rants like these 🌚

You know how a decent chunk of the community is with reading & taking stuff like this.

memed-iFirwof650x150.jpeg.9a92ea222b9010f9fae97a1864a6759e.jpeg     

I personally voice my own thought processes based on own desires of informational curiosity as well love for discussion based on questions & statements I made rather just trusting info like a collective hivemind

Onlookers whom hop aboard the brainless bandwagon refusing inter-articulation based on assumed feelings, go give yo balls a tug ya tit fugger         

I would personally say that fluff and alliance culture/community are one and the same. Definitely an amazing post :)

• Upvote 1

Humans cannot create anything out of nothingness. Humans cannot accomplish anything without holding onto something. After all, humans are not gods.

I think that fluff is super important, maybe the most important, otherwise your members will get bored and won't interact with each other, neither would they follow your instruction ln time. I for sure know it's very hard to have said fluff, but once you do, you're good to go, and ready to improve your alliance governance

16 hours ago, Kyubnyan said:

I would personally say that fluff and alliance culture/community are one and the same. Definitely an amazing post :)

Ι disagree. In corporate terms, you make a distinction between the brand (fluff) and the mission/vision/culture of a company. It's the same here.

@Rockefeller since you want a discussion, I would add a fourth element which may make you roll your eyes: infrastructure & operations. :P
Manuals, bots, clear-cut documents describing operations (I am not talking just about "guides", but also about logistics related documentation) is of great importance.
In some cases, a strong baseline in that field may cover constant changes (or lack of) leadership.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Ripper said:

since you want a discussion, I would add a fourth element which may make you roll your eyes: infrastructure & operations. :P
Manuals, bots, clear-cut documents describing operations (I am not talking just about "guides", but also about logistics related documentation) is of great importance.
In some cases, a strong baseline in that field may cover constant changes (or lack of) leadership.

Yeah, my job as Econ in Arrgh was a nightmare when we had no bots and ran everything on the forums/announcements. Rose Econ was a lot more efficient and easier to manage, where in Arrgh (before Ripper ofc) everything was done manually I believe depending on who the person was in charge. So I agree that infrastructure is important; but maybe that would also fall into guides etc. as well. Since Arrgh also used to have like 100 outdated guides in the announcements and new ones were added regularly.

Edited by Mayor

4 hours ago, Ripper said:

since you want a discussion, I would add a fourth element which may make you roll your eyes: infrastructure & operations. :P

Definitely not rolling my eyes at all! I'm a firm believer in the bots. The manuals and, to the degree you'd like, documentation I think falls under culture. I think some groups thrive without it, I think some groups absolutely need it.

Arrgh deals with a lot of new people so we definitely need things like a simple raiding guide. TKR probably experiences a similar influx of newbies. To cite a shared experience - Church of Spaceology was really more of a communal alliance where it didn't have a lot (any?) codified guides or structure but ran relatively smoothly just via mutual collaboration.

Understanding of, and time spent playing, PnW are certainly key elements when considering how to best treat your membership. A lot of veterans probably wouldn't be arsed to read a guide or doc even if you linked them one, for instance. The newbies kinda need to. But everyone needs to definitely be on the same page or strain can result lol.

Another big factor, other than documentation, which I kind of covered already is communication. Active, daily discord discussions. Reaching out via DM's if there's some issue or disagreement. Not only does it help prevent strain by catching problems as they happen or before they happen, it opens the door for other people to talk to you about things that you might have never thought were a problem.

3 hours ago, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

Arrgh has econ?  Even Grumpy doesn't really have an econ department besides poor Pres (or rich Pres depending how you look at it) who runs our bank.

In the sense you're thinking - no. But our econ work was 95% of the workload for Arrgh at one point. There are some bots now which significantly alleviate that workload.

You have to remember Arrgh is constantly at war so the bank is constantly under threat but people still need to store, withdraw, and transfer their contents. It's quite a bit of logistics comparatively to other alliances.

21 hours ago, Kyubnyan said:

Sorry I missed this reply. I'd say yes and no. Certain alliance's culture lends itself away from fluff - but I think that kind of culture is a little problematic. We all need to keep in mind that this is entertainment at its core. So if your alliance has no fluff... You're really relying on either other communities to hold the interest of your members (in which case it's likely they'll eventually migrate to those communities) or you're relying purely on PnW's appeal to hold your member's attention (which will likely lead to inactivity, no offense to Alex).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rockefeller said:

In the sense you're thinking - no. But our econ work was 95% of the workload for Arrgh at one point. There are some bots now which significantly alleviate that workload.

You have to remember Arrgh is constantly at war so the bank is constantly under threat but people still need to store, withdraw, and transfer their contents. It's quite a bit of logistics comparatively to other alliances.

That sounds like entirely too much work to me. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

That sounds like entirely too much work to me. 

There's a reason almost all of Arrgh's older members end up retiring. Raiding is a lot of work, managing and facilitating raiding is even more.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...