Looking at Average Post Scores

Guest Zephyr

Guest Zephyr

I was curious what forum reputation scores would look like as an average of points scored per post, as I thought this approach might be more insightful into a user's ability to generate community favoured content through their account's lifetime. So naturally I wasted my time browsing the forum and punching in the reputation and post count of 94 users into a google sheet before I got bored. I avoided users with low post counts and tried to ensure the names I recognised got included, so it's by no means complete and is clearly biased towards users that have posted to the forum more recently or who I actually recognised as regular posters.

irZhk4n.png     OPPkVAX.png

Google sheet link for a more complete listing

Surprisingly Phoenyx wasn't the least popular poster (still blocking them though), and Alex actually performs well below the average for the users included in the sheet.

Guest Zephyr
1 hour ago, zigbigadorlou said:

I'm assuming this doesn't count downvotes?

Actually this is an interesting point because if I recall correctly, the reputation value is stored and then altered as reactions are made. This means older accounts that existed when downvotes had a negative effect likely still have a score offset by downvotes applied during that period. So basically if you joined when downvotes meant something, then yeah I think they are to some degree still counted against you. Otherwise no.

20 minutes ago, Ramona said:

Thank you for stroking my upvote peen. 🙏

You're welcome.

Also I forgot Leopold and have now added him (couldn't be stuffed redoing the images but he's on the sheet). So he's taken 11th place and pushed everyone from previous rank 11 and below down another rank.

2 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Otherwise no.

Yeah, so the people at the bottom of the list are people that post a lot but only get upvoted occasionally. I suspect if downvotes were counted, the list would look much different. That is, it could differentiate the boring posters from the controversial posters. 

Hey Krampus, the signature edit is under account settings. Actually, here's the link.

https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/settings/signature/

Aw, I'm on there! :D You recognize me, Zephyr?

2 hours ago, zigbigadorlou said:

Yeah, so the people at the bottom of the list are people that post a lot but only get upvoted occasionally. I suspect if downvotes were counted, the list would look much different. That is, it could differentiate the boring posters from the controversial posters. 

Am I the former or the latter? 🤔

1 hour ago, Nukey6 said:

Am I the former or the latter? 🤔

Not sure, but I know I'm in the "boring/benign poster" category. 

Hey Krampus, the signature edit is under account settings. Actually, here's the link.

Guest Zephyr
3 hours ago, Nukey6 said:

I basically just opened a bunch of threads and skipped through them adding users that didn't have really low post counts or who I recognised, until I got bored.

2 hours ago, Kevanovia said:

Also, where is @Charlie Traveler in this?

Either I missed Charlie or they haven't posted recently. The list obviously isn't very complete, but maybe someone with more effort could try a more complete one if they're feeling motivated. Even better if @Alex could just export the data to a sheet (if that's possible) or something.

8 hours ago, zigbigadorlou said:

I suspect "likeability and boring" influence the distribution of upvotes, but the actual position of the poster within their own alliance and sphere, along with the intent of a post likely play a larger role. A vast majority of the top posters are gov or former gov members who will naturally accrue more upvotes simply due to making announcements which gain upvotes regardless of how interesting the post actually is. A gov member is likely to accrue more upvotes than an ordinary member will too for that matter. Factor in the size of a gov member's alliance and associated sphere members wise showing support to their "own" and it begins to paint the picture as being more complex than it would appear.

Like if Guardian announced a treaty tomorrow and the treaty simply said "treaty with <insert random alliance name>," it probably would get quite a few upvotes solely due to people showing support to the treaty despite the the actual topic content being lacklustre.

Upvotes essentially encompass both interesting posts, and support for for announcements. Probably a few other factors involved too that I am currently too lazy to ponder upon.

Is an interesting stat though  👍🏾

Edited by Charles Bolivar
  • Upvote 2

Untitled.png

10 hours ago, Charles Bolivar said:

I suspect "likeability and boring" influence the distribution of upvotes, but the actual position of the poster within their own alliance and sphere, along with the intent of a post likely play a larger role.

And Valk being #1 is the prime example, given the incredibly low post count and huge alliance. It only takes a fraction of the alliance to put up ridiculous numbers. Forced popularity is still popularity. 

• Upvote 2

No wonder Kurdanak stopped doing the alliance rankings, he saw what his score was and then spent the next several years trying to increase his score through meme posts. Everything is starting to make sense now.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Mayor said:

No wonder Kurdanak stopped doing the alliance rankings, he saw what his score was and then spent the next several years trying to increase his score through meme posts. Everything is starting to make sense now.

My post count is like 50% APR and welcome forum posts/general niceties from when I was active back in the day, 48% shitposting, and 2% actually representing Rose. :P 

Interesting spreadsheet! A testament to becoming an alliance leader and only posting when necessary, if you're aiming for that attractive quality>quantity, lol.

Edited by Kurdanak
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
xzhPlEh.png?1

• 3 weeks later...

Shifty is the true voice of P/W and of a generation.

Shifty represents the common man and the virtues found in the heartland of the OWF.

Shifty, a named backed by an entire community.