Tutorial Changes and New Player changes

Raphael

Anything to improve the tutorial please. That thing is awful and is not only overly wordy, really misses the point of the actual game. It just hand holds the player through each page without really doing anything. Not to mention the actual verbiage and layout (UX/UI) of the game could be changed to make things simpler and easier for new people to pick up the game and get up to a level of "decently competent". As much as I would like to be an elitist, without lowering the barrier to entry to playing the game; while not lowering the barrier of quality drastically; we can't bring in enough foot traffic to combat natural attrition of players, but also not add to the community which is the actual driving force of the game.

With your specific points Roberts, I don't necessarily agree with railroading a player into an alliance right away, part of the tutorial is taking them to the recruitment page. I do believe that the emphasis should be increased to get anyone joining to join an alliance, but not necessarily to make that the first thing and ignore their actual education with the game itself. A player should primarily be familiar & comfortable with the game they will be playing; hopefully every other day, during their stay.

And your point about the grant for cities, I don't agree with the specifics, but I do generally agree with the idea I would prefer if new players started with some sort of "base" city they can then edit and grow, rather than starting from zero.

Some specifics about the tutorial, it's too linear so if a player skips a step they have to redo it for the game to count it as completed. Also could you add some NPC nations that a new player can war with? Or possibly some mechanic where after a war they go to beige automatically to rebuild with some bonus, for maybe the first month. So a new player could war right away, and then if they don't like getting creamed they can get a breather and rebuild. Taking them out of *half* of the game for the first 2 weeks seems silly. Someone that isn't already joining as a friend of someone else already playing is going to miss half the game for 2 weeks, when most people are going to drop the game in the first day or three. They should get a taste of winning, and losing a war as soon as possible in my opinion. I'd even go as far as making it part of the tutorial. Reset their nation afterwards if you must. Just anything to improve that aspect of on boarding.

I could list a hundred things to improve or add to the tutorial, but in general I think any handful of experienced and driven players could write a much better tutorial. Education & player retention really just goes along with the theme of what I personally believe should the forefront of game development. I won't back off of my strong stance that thing should be tested though. Why not throw up the tutorial on the test server so even older players can try it?

• Like 1

Good ideas. For #1, I like the essence, but wondering whether that would just make top-5 alliances even bigger. It is possible that many new players, when forced to join an alliance immediately, could just pick one of the top-5 by default. Don’t have a good alternative though :(

maybe a new player can’t join top-20 at this early stage? Not a great solution though.

I'm for 1 and 2.

free cities up to c5 is not gud, the should learn to git gud with what they have, and possibly alliance assistance.

Sultan of United Ummah, Head of Foreign Affairs.
Inshallah, I will get some sleep.

FASmolVerHorizontalForum.png.82b81d9b6d799994f6c2bd11894f54c8.png