Just Remove 'Em

Just remove bounties and give the money to whomever didn't get killed.

Honestly, they're awful and did nothing to change the game. 

I'd rather have a terrorist strike option to randomly cripple someone's nation than bounties. Just a total griefing move for rogues and people who hate each other.

Like a super expensive spy op to detonate a nuke in a city at the same nerf or even half power of a Raid-type nerfed nuke.

Maybe add chemical and bioweapons in for this. Either way, bounties are just bloat at this point.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

The system would work if people that have 100 million dollars bounties don't go on ten year vacation modes to avoid getting hit. That's the epitome of pixel huggery.

Alex should turn of that ability to go on VM if you have over a certain amount of dollars in bounties.

Edited by Deulos
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Deulos said:

The system would work if people that have 100 million dollars bounties don't go on ten year vacation modes to avoid getting hit. That's the epitome of pixel huggery.

Alex should turn of that ability to go on VM if you have over a certain amount of dollars in bounties.

Sounds great, but I disagree. Sometimes VM is 100% necessary, and if someone can't and they know that everything they have built up will be destroyed, it can be very disheartening. As someone who goes into VM frequently, I'd hate to not be able to do it because some rich whale decided to !@#$ with me. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

signature_1609462526.png.014e1286830a99c3d7652fe75198c389.png
To whom it may concern, I do not represent The Immortals unless explicitly stated (ergo, never.)
<--- I hardly use the forums anymore, add me on discord.

Add the option for secret bounties. Only paid out once the conditions are met, but you don't know what the conditions are/how much it is. Maybe just hide the payment. Seems like that would be funny. And I think humor is the highest virtue for deciding these sorts of things.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, KiWilliam said:

Add the option for secret bounties. Only paid out once the conditions are met, but you don't know what the conditions are/how much it is. Maybe just hide the payment. Seems like that would be funny. And I think humor is the highest virtue for deciding these sorts of things.

Meh. It defeats the point of a bounty. Bounties are meant to entice people to attack someone, not give someone a gift for winning.

Buuut, bounties are almost pointless. Im not saying remove them, but only pirates would ever go after them and most people with bounties are whales and the war will be very costly. No real way to fix this, it's just how the game has evolved.

Fricken civilization smh, return to monke.

signature_1609462526.png.014e1286830a99c3d7652fe75198c389.png
To whom it may concern, I do not represent The Immortals unless explicitly stated (ergo, never.)
<--- I hardly use the forums anymore, add me on discord.

Changes to the bounty system have been suggested a dozen times. It's pretty worthless right now. Just beige someone and "oh look they happen to have a bounty."

I don't know why after all this time Alex hasnt fixed bounties not collecting during a blockade. That alone kinda prevents the system from working as intended.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jangles said:

Changes to the bounty system have been suggested a dozen times. It's pretty worthless right now. Just beige someone and "oh look they happen to have a bounty."

I don't know why after all this time Alex hasnt fixed bounties not collecting during a blockade. That alone kinda prevents the system from working as intended.

p sure it was added in after it was introduced cause pplz were somehow abusing it 😧

rawr

On 2/2/2021 at 12:35 AM, katashimon13 said:

p sure it was added in after it was introduced cause pplz were somehow abusing it 😧

rawr

Ruining a mechanic should never be the first course of action when someone is abusing it.

We have an OOC non-mechanical way of handling people VM'ing with banks. People abusing the blockade/bounty thing should've been treated the same way.

Or you could make it so you can't collect a bounty until 12/24/48/etc. turns have passed.

The change rendered bounties uncollectable in a realistic sense.

On 2/1/2021 at 9:35 PM, katashimon13 said:

rawr

Actually, it was added not because people were using it to send cash across blockades, but because people were using it to send cash... at all. Which couldn't be allowed on the test server.

That it was migrated to the mainserver with that limitation intact is just a painful example of inertia 😕

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

Actually, it was added not because people were using it to send cash across blockades, but because people were using it to send cash... at all. Which couldn't be allowed on the test server.

That it was migrated to the mainserver with that limitation intact is just a painful example of inertia 😕

It was added because it would be a trivially easy way to send money to someone who is otherwise blockaded. Just put a big bounty on a nation they can quickly defeat, and suddenly you have given them a large cash transfusion (and never did a real bounty either.)

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Could we not just put a delay on when a bounty is posted and when it could be collected? Yes some people might then "abuse" (air quotes because they would simply be [b]using[/b] it) to get money when blockaded, but it's the same logic as declaring on a target who is blockading a nation in order to break their blockade on a third nation; you would declare war on another nation to get money when one nation is having you blockaded. The actual usefulness of a blockade is to stop someone from getting resources to defend (like munitions, gas, or steel) or moving those resources or large amounts of cash off their nation to someplace safe. All this would do is allow someone who is otherwise blockaded get some amount of money. It's no more broken than simply using a credit to get out of a pinch when a nation would otherwise be "blockaded" and with a credit you can get resources too. Something beyond the scope of a bounty.

I still am not really a fan of how bounties work in general, but I would be in favor of something being done to make them useful or removing them. Keeping around a vestigial feature just limits gameplay changes in the future and confuses players. Yes a new player isn't going to instantly understand all of the meta game in year [current year] without some experience or interactions with the community, but features that are never used shouldn't remain simply to have them around. They should be reworked.

If we really wanted to try and make bounties more useful, more features like being able to set a bounty for any alliance member in an alliance for a period of time; any nation in [x] alliance that's defeated in an attrition war will win the nation 5million for example. That would make bounties insanely more useful, and political. Nations that win should always get their money (I don't know where it goes if they are blockaded) so they should at least be able to get it later (maybe make it standard that they're paid as soon as they're out of all wars? That would be a funny mechanic, to keep a nation at war so they don't get an influx of cash they've built up. That would be an insanely interesting "abused" mechanic). An open ended bounty system like that would have its own problems, but honestly with a couple of checks, I think it would only add a few interesting ways for drama to happen.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, KiWilliam said:

I still am not really a fan of how bounties work in general, but I would be in favor of something being done to make them useful or removing them. Keeping around a vestigial feature just limits gameplay changes in the future and confuses players. Yes a new player isn't going to instantly understand all of the meta game in year [current year] without some experience or interactions with the community, but features that are never used shouldn't remain simply to have them around. They should be reworked.

What makes you think they're never used? There are currently 3 $100 million bounties out there, plus a pile over 30 million. In a global, the ones with bounties go first. Bounties get used, but rarely is the threshold met for someone to go rogue and face huge penalties for a single bounty. 

I like the idea of bounties being expanded, but that's kind of beside the point.

Hey Krampus, the signature edit is under account settings. Actually, here's the link.

https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/settings/signature/

8 hours ago, Alex said:

It was added because it would be a trivially easy way to send money to someone who is otherwise blockaded. Just put a big bounty on a nation they can quickly defeat, and suddenly you have given them a large cash transfusion (and never did a real bounty either.)

What you're describing (bounties being used to transfer cash to someone blockaded) was the reason that you restricted bounty payouts to wars that started after the bounties were posted, as I recall. (Which was fair, for exactly those reasons.) Besides, bounties are only about the 3rd best way to send cash across blockades, and one of the other two is credits. So, bruh.

I've suggested it before, but I'll give it another shot here: Instead of being a binary "win while unblockaded to get bounty, otherwise no bounty at all", allow bounties to remain in their phantom escrow state but "claimed" by whoever first accomplishes the bounty criteria, payable as soon as they break their blockade. That way, people aren't frustrated by investing their resources into a bounty hunt, only to get shafted by a wholly undocumented mechanic.

Thinking about it, perhaps you could also encourage warfare by implementing "natural bounties"... like, every nation gets a little bit of bounty added to them every day, based on their city count. It wouldn't be enough to warrant attacks often, but someone with 40 cities avoiding wars for 3 years straight would start to look really tasty... :3

Edited by Sir Scarfalot
  • Upvote 4

10 hours ago, zigbigadorlou said:

What makes you think they're never used? There are currently 3 $100 million bounties out there, plus a pile over 30 million. In a global, the ones with bounties go first. Bounties get used, but rarely is the threshold met for someone to go rogue and face huge penalties for a single bounty. 

I like the idea of bounties being expanded, but that's kind of beside the point.

I know they are used, but they're hardly used that often. I was being hyperbolic when I said 'never used'; the point I was trying to express was on holding on to certain game mechanics vs. reworking them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KiWilliam said:

I know they are used, but they're hardly used that often. I was being hyperbolic when I said 'never used'; the point I was trying to express was on holding on to certain game mechanics vs. reworking them.

Currently large bounties are important enough to warrant news organizations reporting on them. And smaller bounties are a great way to tell your friends how much you appreciate them. I don't think they have to be ubiquitous, but rather used sporadically. Also, I would barely expect them to affect alliance politics. As it stands now, they serve well as a nation RP thing I think. 

Hey Krampus, the signature edit is under account settings. Actually, here's the link.

https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/settings/signature/

3 hours ago, zigbigadorlou said:

Currently large bounties are important enough to warrant news organizations reporting on them. And smaller bounties are a great way to tell your friends how much you appreciate them. I don't think they have to be ubiquitous, but rather used sporadically. Also, I would barely expect them to affect alliance politics. As it stands now, they serve well as a nation RP thing I think. 

I won't comment on the first part, but the second is I hope just a tongue in cheek joke from you. I'm not actually advocating personally for bounties to be removed like OP. My intent was simply to throw out suggestions for changes, and give my unsolicited 2 cents about the hierarchy of priorities for game changes. Someone completing a bounty should always get paid the bounty. Changes to how or when could be made so there doesn't need to be any moderation and it is automatic. No game breaking exploits if those existed. But something should be done so that a mechanic that is in the game can be used fully & properly if it is to continue to exist. Otherwise if it is cut off at the knees, going against the entire point of the feature (to get money posted for winning a war against a specific target) in favor of fair play (whatever ruling that I still don't honestly know the history of involving bounties not being paid to people), then it should be removed if it is causing such problems. Simple as that. If Mr. Scarfalot is lying, and bounties have always been paid out correctly to all nations who have ever completed them, then I retract all of my statements. But bounties should work properly or be removed. Having a half baked feature around because people sometimes talk about one aspect of the game on discord or use it as a joke is not proper justification in my book to keep it around.

My other ideas were just spit balling because I prefer freedom & versatility of game mechanics to allow players to decide the politics & metagame. Also one quick point in my word soup; I'm very much in favor of things being documented and do not appreciate players running into a wall because something wasn't specified. So any aspect of bounties that can not be clearly read & understood in-game should be changed or documented. No exceptions.

• Upvote 3

The best thing that could be done is to give more incentives for bounties as they are relatively useless, but really if you want to make things real interesting do what shifty was suggesting and add terrorist strikes through the espionage system. Hell add a cool mini game fighting global terrorism as a whole with incentives such as resources and maybe "MAYBE" cash. 

Edited by Crispy General

Goomy: *Hot Goomy is 5 miles away from you and looking to have some fun*

Guilo: O.O Click bait is sooooooo tempting

Aoi Toori: Well its Goomy, who wouldn't?

If Dillon A McCann is Ted Cruz then doesn't that make him the zodiac killer? Rip zodiac #EndofZodiac

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 12:02 PM, Alex said:

but if you cant collect a bounty that was posted after the war started, then they would take a minimum of 2 days to defeat anyways, that's not really going to help unless someone is holding you under a full blockade until expiration or rotating blockade cycles.

also its kinda bizarre that you cant collect bounties while blockaded, but you can still place them when blockaded and have someone in your alliance collect your loot or come back for it yourself later, which seems way more exploitative than the former.

It's been suggested by @Sir Scarfalot I believe and it's been brought up a few times before that to have an escrow where you cant collect a bounty until after the blockade is over, but once it is over you can collect. Seems like a simple solution to make a broken mechanic meaningful.

edit: I see Scarf has already responded

Edited by Jangles
  • Upvote 1