No Discussion Forum Reform

Aqua-Corpsman

Now now, hear me out.

I know I have a history of breaking this rule, so naturally I'd dislike it. But there is another issue with it. Occasionally in a No Discussion Forum (NDF hence forth) a valuable/intriguing topic is brought up and a healthy conversation ensues. Or, in some cases where you (@Alex) will hand out points and lock the forum before that conversation can happen. Obviously, if someone broke the rules blatantly then a NDF is not the place to talk about it. But occasionally a topic is brought up where something is not explicitly in the rules and a conversation of whether the supposed broken rule is or isn't broken or if it should or shouldn't be a rule.

Now, I understand that in some cases you acknowledge the general converse on certain topics. But it's very hit and miss. Sometimes a topic that may be obscure and people comment on it, you encourage or at least look the other way. Sometimes you hand out points and lock the topic, discouraging a voice on the topic and/or ruling on your decision. Which I am not debating, the decision ultimately rests with you. But maybe NDFs should be more liberal and allow a comment within reason.

Forum topics that relate to this...

Among many many others. Reports involving multis, or otherwise cut and dry report, obviously don't make sense for any discussion. But some of these brought up fair points, and in many points were given and the forum locked. Some of which I was in, so I know this. Anyways, I thought this should be looked at. Reform or at least a review is in order in my opinion.

signature_1609462526.png.014e1286830a99c3d7652fe75198c389.png
To whom it may concern, I do not represent The Immortals unless explicitly stated (ergo, never.)
<--- I hardly use the forums anymore, add me on discord.

1 hour ago, Aqua-Corpsman said:

Now now, hear me out.

I know I have a history of breaking this rule, so naturally I'd dislike it. But there is another issue with it. Occasionally in a No Discussion Forum (NDF hence forth) a valuable/intriguing topic is brought up and a healthy conversation ensues. Or, in some cases where you (@Alex) will hand out points and lock the forum before that conversation can happen. Obviously, if someone broke the rules blatantly then a NDF is not the place to talk about it. But occasionally a topic is brought up where something is not explicitly in the rules and a conversation of whether the supposed broken rule is or isn't broken or if it should or shouldn't be a rule.

Now, I understand that in some cases you acknowledge the general converse on certain topics. But it's very hit and miss. Sometimes a topic that may be obscure and people comment on it, you encourage or at least look the other way. Sometimes you hand out points and lock the topic, discouraging a voice on the topic and/or ruling on your decision. Which I am not debating, the decision ultimately rests with you. But maybe NDFs should be more liberal and allow a comment within reason.

Forum topics that relate to this...

Among many many others. Reports involving multis, or otherwise cut and dry report, obviously don't make sense for any discussion. But some of these brought up fair points, and in many points were given and the forum locked. Some of which I was in, so I know this. Anyways, I thought this should be looked at. Reform or at least a review is in order in my opinion.

Moderation action appears to have only occurred in one of the example threads you provided, and even then it was just Alex cleaning out confirmed multis. This doesn't make a strong case that we actually need to make game reports busier with everyone's opinions in order to keep the process fair, Alex is already seemingly cautious about being too aggressive with moderation.

6 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Moderation action appears to have only occurred in one of the example threads you provided, and even then it was just Alex cleaning out confirmed multis. This doesn't make a strong case that we actually need to make game reports busier with everyone's opinions in order to keep the process fair, Alex is already seemingly cautious about being too aggressive with moderation.

Looks can be deceiving lol. I got moderation points for all the ones I was involved with. And I get that, but its not always the case. Again, hit and miss. If he does support this then it should be more officially stated. If he doesn't...then....well he should lol

To whom it may concern, I do not represent The Immortals unless explicitly stated (ergo, never.)

51 minutes ago, Aqua-Corpsman said:

Looks can be deceiving lol. I got moderation points for all the ones I was involved with. And I get that, but its not always the case. Again, hit and miss. If he does support this then it should be more officially stated. If he doesn't...then....well he should lol

I meant moderation action against the accused in the game reports. It would of course make sense that if you interject in game reports where you are not providing evidence that you would end up with forum strikes, as is consistent with the forum guidelines.

With this in mind it does make it sound more like you just want the rules changed so you can involve yourself in game reports more freely as you're yet to make a compelling argument that such a change to the rules is even necessary.

3 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I meant moderation action against the accused in the game reports. It would of course make sense that if you interject in game reports where you are not providing evidence that you would end up with forum strikes, as is consistent with the forum guidelines.

With this in mind it does make it sound more like you just want the rules changed so you can involve yourself in game reports more freely as you're yet to make a compelling argument that such a change to the rules is even necessary.

Ah I misunderstood. In that case, so what? Maybe some of those reports *should* have been acted on.

Perhaps you can perceive it that way, but it is more so that another view or idea can be proposed. It's not necessary, no. Neither is any QoL change. It's not a bug or a glitch. It's reform. 

My compelling argument is simple though XD. 

22 minutes ago, Aqua-Corpsman said:

Ah I misunderstood. In that case, so what? Maybe some of those reports *should* have been acted on.

Perhaps you can perceive it that way, but it is more so that another view or idea can be proposed. It's not necessary, no. Neither is any QoL change. It's not a bug or a glitch. It's reform. 

My compelling argument is simple though XD. 

I no longer understand what argument you're making except for the point on 'another view or idea', presumably the accused would do this themselves.

What you call "discussion" in a no discussion forum post is usually more evidence being provided to support the original claim.

If you added prudent information to what was being reported instead of just saying "ayyyyyy lmao get rekt" then you probably wouldn't have this problem.

• Haha 1

A game dies without a community.
Don't hate on the communities trying to grow.
Eat them instead.

6 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I no longer understand what argument you're making except for the point on 'another view or idea', presumably the accused would do this themselves.

5 minutes ago, Young Guilo said:

What you call "discussion" in a no discussion forum post is usually more evidence being provided to support the original claim.

If you added prudent information to what was being reported instead of just saying "ayyyyyy lmao get rekt" then you probably wouldn't have this problem.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Take it as you will, I've seen otherwise.

8 hours ago, Aqua-Corpsman said:

But occasionally a topic is brought up where something is not explicitly in the rules and a conversation of whether the supposed broken rule is or isn't broken or if it should or shouldn't be a rule.

There's already a system in place exactly for this, in the form of the Moderation Support forum.

See, from said forum's guidelines:

This is an open discussion forum.  Its purpose is for players to ask questions or make proposals relating to policy and rules ONLY.  This forum is not for filing reports, making complaints, discussion of game mechanics, or making suggestions pertaining to the game.  There are established forums for each of those issues. 

The report forums themselves should remain as streamlined as possible, hence the NDF rule designed to maintain that. In the case of confusion or a genuine need of clarification/discussion regarding a rule, that's when it's (typically) a great idea to make a thread on the subject in the Moderation Support forum. Personally, I'd love to see it used more! (sans for flame wars :v)

Edited by Kurdanak
xzhPlEh.png?1

4 hours ago, Kurdanak said:

There's already a system in place exactly for this, in the form of the Moderation Support forum.

See, from said forum's guidelines:

The report forums themselves should remain as streamlined as possible, hence the NDF rule designed to maintain that. In the case of confusion or a genuine need of clarification/discussion regarding a rule, that's when it's (typically) a great idea to make a thread on the subject in the Moderation Support forum. Personally, I'd love to see it used more! (sans for flame wars :v)

Ahh. I legitimately completely forgot that forum. Okay, okay. That should absolutely be used more

• Like 1