1. 1. Pick 1

• Duck Fall
    • Duck Off
    • Knightmare before Christmas
    • Leaky Faucet War
    • Duck Hunt
    • VietQuack

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/31/21 at 08:36 PM

2 hours ago, zigbigadorlou said:

What is with you people and polls on polls on polls? No! Leaky Faucet won the last poll fair and square. Stop trying to get people to conform to your idea of a good name. Leaky faucet is FINE, and you're just being picky and annoying.

And stop making me vote, its annoying.

(grumbles about it being called dial up war in a corner)

why don't you just duck off

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

unknown_3_1_65.png

16 hours ago, zigbigadorlou said:

What is with you people and polls on polls on polls? No! Leaky Faucet won the last poll fair and square. Stop trying to get people to conform to your idea of a good name. Leaky faucet is FINE, and you're just being picky and annoying.

I agree, I think that Leaky Faucet was the most neutral name. Now it seems that "Duck Hunt" is going to win- not exactly a neutral name for it -.-

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

20 hours ago, zigbigadorlou said:

Preferred Dial Up myself as well... but I'm still going to vote for what I think is the best of the lot. Dance Dance Revolution is already a war name, and I'd like Duck Hunt to be added to that list.

• Upvote 1

hfzkFUp.gif

Should be Knightmare Before Halloween not Christmas 

20 hours ago, zigbigadorlou said:

2019 to 2020 was Dail Up this is one of the 2 Globals after it lmao you sure dont know whats happening more often than not Zig

1 hour ago, Nokia Rokia said:

Should be Knightmare Before Halloween not Christmas 

2019 to 2020 was Dail Up this is one of the 2 Globals after it lmao you sure dont know whats happening more often than not Zig

Nah, I know what's going on. I just worded it weirdly. I meant to be grumbling about how we had been calling it Dial Up for like 8 months when they decided to rename it NPO's last time retroactively. I see this vote to be the same revisionist history nonsense as what happened with Dial Up

Hey Krampus, the signature edit is under account settings. Actually, here's the link.

https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/settings/signature/

1 minute ago, zigbigadorlou said:

Nah, I know what's going on. I just worded it weirdly. I meant to be grumbling about how we had been calling it Dial Up for like 8 months when they decided to rename it NPO's last time retroactively. I see this vote to be the same revisionist history nonsense as what happened with Dial Up

The vote was relatively split earlier but yes a name was decided

2 hours ago, zigbigadorlou said:

m8, the historical label of a war needs to be relevant to the whole thing and chosen with hindsight. Otherwise we get shit like ww1 being "The Great War", as if there couldn't possibly be any greater.

Historians should hardly be expected to only consider the opening week of a war in how it is named.

Besides, "Dial Up" is and was an objectively stupid name even then.

1 hour ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

m8, the historical label of a war needs to be relevant to the whole thing and chosen with hindsight. Otherwise we get shit like ww1 being "The Great War", as if there couldn't possibly be any greater.

Historians should hardly be expected to only consider the opening week of a war in how it is named.

Besides, "Dial Up" is and was an objectively stupid name even then.

I highly disagree. Our naming conventions, in general, don't matter at best. Look at the current leader, Duck Hunt. What does that represent? Quack lost the war. Except its not a duck hunt because Quack were the pre-empters. While the previous winner, leaky faucet, was because it was started by another Sphinx leak.

Dial up was so named because of the beginning of the war being the most ridiculously broken the games ever been. And why is it relevant? Because we called it that for 8 months. Why is NPO's last time relevant? Because it led to their disbandment? You're taking naming from the end instead of the beginning. 

War's don't need to be named in hindsight either. I understand your reference to ww1, but come on...these aren't life altering events. The names are half-memes either way. By changing the meme after the fact, we just obfuscate what war we are talking about by changing a well established name. 

Also, Dial up war is not a stupid name. Fite me. 

• Upvote 1

Hey Krampus, the signature edit is under account settings. Actually, here's the link.

19 minutes ago, zigbigadorlou said:

I highly disagree. Our naming conventions, in general, don't matter at best. Look at the current leader, Duck Hunt. What does that represent? Quack lost the war. Except its not a duck hunt because Quack were the pre-empters. While the previous winner, leaky faucet, was because it was started by another Sphinx leak.

Dial up was so named because of the beginning of the war being the most ridiculously broken the games ever been. And why is it relevant? Because we called it that for 8 months. Why is NPO's last time relevant? Because it led to their disbandment? You're taking naming from the end instead of the beginning. 

War's don't need to be named in hindsight either. I understand your reference to ww1, but come on...these aren't life altering events. The names are half-memes either way. By changing the meme after the fact, we just obfuscate what war we are talking about by changing a well established name. 

Also, Dial up war is not a stupid name. Fite me. 

See, I disagree in that even if the war names are just memes, so are the wars themselves. Neither are important on the scale of life-altering IRL events, obviously... but they're still just as important as each other, so there's no way to argue the irrelevancy card while simultaneously making any other argument. Either you support a name, or you don't; saying that you support one name because the name of the war doesn't matter is logically invalid.

Furthermore, Dial Up was explicitly a placeholder name set up unilaterally by a wiki moderator I think? Which means that it wasn't something ever formally decided on at all, and never meant to be more than a candidate name at the most even initially. Also, while it might have been frustratingly slow for a long while, the game has broken down plenty of other times and sometimes more spectacularly. I hardly need to describe examples of that to someone that's been playing 2k days :P

And as I said before, the extent of the issue that predicates the name "dial up" accounts for less than 10% of the wars' length and less than 1% of the wars' drama, so naming it for that is misleading on a grotesque level.

Lastly, it totally is a stupid name, and I have more planes than you do 😎

Edited by Sir Scarfalot
Unfortunately I've got a loan to pay down before I can actually go rampaging again... rip ;-;

18 minutes ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

Lastly, it totally is a stupid name, and I have more planes than you do 😎

Its much easier to sell down if you start with less ;)

2 minutes ago, zigbigadorlou said:

Its much easier to sell down if you start with less ;)

A. There's no limit to how much you can sell down for a downdeclare,

B. getting ambushed with less on hand = worse losses in the opening round,

C. having less than a buy below your max at any point cuts into your buying power after your military reset, precluding an actual doublebuy,

D. I'm in range to updeclare on you due to your having so much less military score :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • Wiki Mod

I like how I can't even see the poll result gg forum.

On 1/23/2021 at 3:49 PM, zigbigadorlou said:

There are (almost) always multiple voting rounds. A 1 vote difference is not sufficient to declare the winner, particularly when it's literally pick anything you like. If I really wanted to enforce my will I could for instance be much more aggressive in the pruning that occurs from the nomination thread. 

On 1/24/2021 at 8:32 AM, Phoenyx said:

I agree, I think that Leaky Faucet was the most neutral name. Now it seems that "Duck Hunt" is going to win- not exactly a neutral name for it -.-

War names are community selected and therefore a reflection of community sentiment. Expecting the community to be neutral about anything is objectively unreasonable. 

On 1/24/2021 at 1:13 PM, zigbigadorlou said:

I honestly don't remember who did the vote for NPOLT. But in any case, if we named wars for the first 2 days they would all be named 'dial up', in fact thats been a recycled named suggestion for many years. Wars are typically defined by the middle and end events. And at least when I do the votes the format is almost always to have the vote after the war is concluded. This is the standard format, not some randomness being thrown out cause I didn't like the name. I literally don't care one way or the other.

-----------------------------

In any case, I have been considering some type of alliance rep system to handle nomination shortlisting in a more compact manner. So if anyone has thoughts on that concept speak up.

• Like 1

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid