Beige Switching

Wendell

• Administrators

That's not real - I'm not "shadow testing" anything. There might be a legacy change stuck on the test server from when I removed beige around a year ago.

Spreading rumors and fearmongering does not do anyone any good.

• Downvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

2 hours ago, Alex said:

That's not real - I'm not "shadow testing" anything. There might be a legacy change stuck on the test server from when I removed beige around a year ago.

Well, it is reassuring to hear that the cheeseable mechanic of forced pacifism won't really happen.

That said, they're reacting to quite readily apparent evidence: That's not fearmongering rumors, that's actionable data? Lest we forget, you have rammed through changes similar to the one described in the past. Some amount of concern is far from unjustified 😕

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

Well, it is reassuring to hear that the cheeseable mechanic of forced pacifism won't really happen.

That said, they're reacting to quite readily apparent evidence: That's not fearmongering rumors, that's actionable data? Lest we forget, you have rammed through changes similar to the one described in the past. Some amount of concern is far from unjustified 😕

It's why there is a method in place for major changes/new content that involves a public thread. If/When changes happen to beige there will be a discussion thread posted about it. In addition when it was originally discussed Alex was going to create some test server tournies to test each method up for proposal.

I understand things used to be done a certain way. This has changed. Any work I'm involved in will get posted for public discussion threads, go through the dev team, and other channels before anything hits the test server. QoL changes don't really fall under that category and usually get implemented entire on Alex and his coder's schedule but if there's a bunch of those, I will include them in my threads. Speaking of which I'm hoping to get a thread up sometime in the near future when my RL schedule quiets down a bit.

I believe it was in the thread where the beige roll-back happened. Alex apologized for the knee-jerk reaction. It's time to accept that things are different now from times before then. Listening and feedback happens despite what some may say. If Alex goes crazy and starts deleting and add things left and right, well that's probably because you all drove him nuts and well, that's beyond my control. In seriousness, things have changed and it's time to move on to complaining about how things were done in the past and work with how they're being done now and improving the process and game. 

Major projects that are currently in the dev queue:

• Luxury Resources
  • Investing in Companies (dev member working on currently)
  • Perks (they've been approved for work)

Projects waiting on Alex's direction:

• Beige overhaul (if he wants it, we'll work on it)
  • Expansion on improvements and nation policies that have an actual impact.

General projects:

• Military casualty rates tweaking/balancing
  • New Projects
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

scSqPGJ.gif

17 minutes ago, Prefontaine said:

-blah blah blah-

Yeah, that would be more reassuring if there was actually a history of Alex communicating with the playerbase instead of literally just communicating with you alone. Saying that things are better now doesn't actually undo the past, Pre, no matter how much you would like it to.

What I'm saying is, your words don't matter at this point. Sheepy's actions do.

Edited by Sir Scarfalot
  • Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

Yeah, that would be more reassuring if there was actually a history of Alex communicating with the playerbase instead of literally just communicating with you alone. Saying that things are better now doesn't actually undo the past, Pre, no matter how much you would like it to.

What I'm saying is, your words don't matter at this point. Sheepy's actions do.

And since the beige roll-back and apology, what actions have been taken that don't echo what I said?

scSqPGJ.gif

9 minutes ago, Prefontaine said:

And since the beige roll-back and apology, what actions have been taken that don't echo what I said?

Beige roll-back is a start, but since it was in response to the beige thing in the first place that's hardly a favorable mark, and apology is again just words. So tell me, what major actions have been taken since then that do echo what you've said? Words, words, cosmetics, words.

I'll grant that there's been progress, and that is good. And I'll grant that it is reassuring that the stupid beige change presented ITT isn't real. There haven't been any major lapses in judgement since the beige drama, yes, but neither you nor Sheepy have progressed so far as to be above mere concern. Asking for that level of faith is just plain unreasonable, and rankling at not being given it is doing neither of you any favors. You've got to earn that, if ever... and either way, faith of that magnitude definitely shouldn't be expected.

The thread is communicating a concern. The concern itself has been dashed, and that's good. It is reassuring and while not necessarily a positive step, it at least prevented any steps backwards... but the existence of concerns shouldn't be unexpected or rebuked when presented. That's all I'm saying.

Edited by Sir Scarfalot
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

Beige roll-back is a start, but since it was in response to the beige thing in the first place that's hardly a favorable mark, and apology is again just words. So tell me, what major actions have been taken since then that do echo what you've said? 

This Thread
This thread, too

All Three
Of these 
threads

First thread has had changes implemented, tweaked, and in some cases not rolled out based on feedback.
Second thread has had elements that will be further worked on in the post-war changes feedback was sought for in the three linked threads.

That's also not to mentioned QoL change requests and so forth. 

Look, you can either accept that things are changing or you can hold onto whatever you'd like to call it from the past. If you'd like to work together on things moving forward, I'd be happy to have conversations about updates as they come out. If you want to hold onto the mindset that no one is listening then it's likely to become a self-fulfilling prophecy. I understand that things have been bad and people were/are pissed. I don't agree with how things have been done since before the beige roll-back either, I've talked with Alex about it, which is why changes to how things are done have occurred.

As I said above, the next thread will be out soon when I get the time. Between Holidays and post, I've been busy. I hope you participate in a meaningful way. 

scSqPGJ.gif

1 hour ago, Prefontaine said:

This Thread
This thread, too

All Three
Of these 
threads

First thread has had changes implemented, tweaked, and in some cases not rolled out based on feedback.
Second thread has had elements that will be further worked on in the post-war changes feedback was sought for in the three linked threads.

That's also not to mentioned QoL change requests and so forth. 

Look, you can either accept that things are changing or you can hold onto whatever you'd like to call it from the past. If you'd like to work together on things moving forward, I'd be happy to have conversations about updates as they come out. If you want to hold onto the mindset that no one is listening then it's likely to become a self-fulfilling prophecy. I understand that things have been bad and people were/are pissed. I don't agree with how things have been done since before the beige roll-back either, I've talked with Alex about it, which is why changes to how things are done have occurred.

As I said above, the next thread will be out soon when I get the time. Between Holidays and post, I've been busy. I hope you participate in a meaningful way. 

Words, words, minor (though welcome) changes, whale projects, words, somehow you want kudos for a lack of actions, words, promises promises.

Look, you can either accept that people have a right to be concerned, or you can keep shilling hype for an entirely theoretical and as yet unrealized future. If you'd like to work on being above concern, then fine, but don't deny that it takes time which has not yet elapsed. If you want to hold onto the mindset that you and Sheepy should be blindly trusted without reservation, then it's that much less likely to happen. I understand that you want to move forward and that it's difficult to be patient, and I do agree that improvements have been made which have gone a long way towards redeeming the past drama, which is why I'm trying to explain that your being defensive is not helping either you or Alex towards that redemption.

As I said above, people have a right to be concerned. If they have a right to participate in a meaningful way, then that logically means they must have a right to express their concerns. I hope you consider them for what they are, and stop overreacting to something that should have ended with just the first sentence of response rather than derail into drama over a second unnecessarily hostile sentence.

For someone claiming to have years of professional experience in the field, you're really bad at de-escalating customer concerns tbh.

Edited by Sir Scarfalot
  • Like 2

TL;DR:

• Deulos outlines concern about a feature implemented on the test server.
  • Alex says the feature was actually mistakenly implemented and reprimands Deulos for paying attention to things.
  • Sir Scarfalot defends Deulos' reasonable concern.
  • Prefontaine swoops in to remind everyone he's relevant, and lecture us about how totally trustworthy he and Alex are.

• Close thread - ?

On 1/20/2021 at 8:46 AM, Alex said:

I dislike many of your viewpoints and actions, but not so much where I have to work and create fearmongering campaigns.

However, what I can do is make people aware of changes that could be implemented without anyone having a chance to provide input.

If the change was something old and not relevant, I apologize for thinking it was recent.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2