What kind of democracy or freedom is actually in Mondstadt? - Genshin lmpact

Those who haven't played Genshin Impact or don't play it can ignore the question. But for those who do, I really want to know what kind of governement actually exists in Mondstadt? They don't have an ruler, neither a main leader or King of some sort. The nation is protected by Knights of Favonius who are sorts of Military-ish but it can't be called a Military rule too. Because of their emphasis on freedom, I was willing to go with Democracy but even Democracy requires a government who works in interest of people imo. What are you guys' thoughts about this?

images-164.jpeg

• Like 1

I haven't played Genshin much, but based on what I have read up on just now and your description I think I can give an accurate guess.

To me, Mondstadt seems like a City-State Liberal Stratocracy. Something of note is that the city is based off of the Free Cities of the Holy Roman Empire, more specifically Switzerland. Considering that, it can also be argued that the city is some sort of Merchant Republic ruled by the richest families who collectively make decisions for the city. In that case, Mondstadt is a City-State Liberal Plutocracy.

If you want a darker view, it's possible there is a shadow government pulling strings from the dark corners of the city. In this case, it is unknown what kind of government is in play other than it being an illiberal democracy with either an oligarchy or autocrat working behind the scenes making sure everything goes smoothly. This is where the Knights would come in to play, as a sort of secret police. From what I know they very well could have ulterior allegiances, and could be in effect some sort of gestapo disguised as city guards. 

That's my quick thoughts on this after about 15 minutes of researching and about 2 lines of coke. Enjoy.

Edited by Aqua-Corpsman
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Aqua-Corpsman said:

I haven't played Genshin much, but based on what I have read up on just now and your description I think I can give an accurate guess.

To me, Mondstadt seems like a City-State Liberal Stratocracy. Something of note is that the city is based off of the Free Cities of the Holy Roman Empire, more specifically Switzerland. Considering that it can also be argued that the city is some sort of Merchant Republic ruled by the richest families who collectively make decisions for the city. In that case, Mondstadt is a City-State Liberal Plutocracy.

If you want a darker view, it's possible there is a shadow government pulling strings from the dark corners of the city. In this case, it is unknown what kind of government is in play other than it being an illiberal democracy with either an oligarchy or autocrat working behind the scenes making sure everything goes smoothly. This is where the Knights would come in to play, as a sort of secret police. From what I know they very well could have ulterior allegiances, and could be in effect some sort of gestapo disguised as city guards. 

That's my quick thoughts on this after about 15 minutes of researching and about 2 lines of coke. Enjoy.

The Oligarchy died long ago. And the theory about shadow government is well and fine, considering that like Russia's KGB, there's Fatui from Scheznaya who work alongside the Knights of Favonius. 

My question was more about normally how can it's government be described as. The Knights are more like Military and Police combined. But major point is, there's no real person or group to influence the working of nation. The Knights issue licenses and all, but nothing beyond that and saving Mondstadt. 

But, a Nation is supposed to prosper. So I don't think, without any form of government or government framework, they'll be able to do that. That's why I was interested to know if someone has a theory on what kind of government is functioning there. 

But City-State Liberal Stratocracy sounds possible.

• Like 1