Jump to content

Rounding resources to the closest natural number (QoL)


Recommended Posts

The title explains itself.
I don't think anyone cares about whatever amount of money behind the decimal point.
Will some people gain and some people lose resources?; yes, but the rules will be the same for everyone and the playing field will be equal.

This is actually an extension to this: "@" in depositing to the alliance bank + trading (QoL) - Game Suggestions - Politics & War Forum (politicsandwar.com) post I made.
Because this proposal might be a lot easier if we round up numbers. (for example what if someone has 25,000.7 aluminium and sells down to @20000, we can't sell .7 of a resource..)
This is however a different post because it touches on a completly diffrent thing and people might have reasons to support one and oppose the other.

~~Belgium

Edited by BelgiumFury
  • Like 4
  • Downvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem lies in that resources are calculated to 2 decimal points. Mines produce 0.25 per mine, per turn. Effectively is someone had only 1 or 2 mines of that type (depending on which way you round at .5)  they might be gaining nothing. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Prefontaine said:

Problem lies in that resources are calculated to 2 decimal points. Mines produce 0.25 per mine, per turn. Effectively is someone had only 1 or 2 mines of that type (depending on which way you round at .5)  they might be gaining nothing. 

This makes complete sense.
The other option would be to make that .7 aluminium useable.
Trade offers would have a minimum size of 1 (as is today) but if you want to dump all your aluminium you would be able to dump your 25,000.7 aluminium on themarket?
I don't think it is optimal but it might be the best way to account of the issue you stated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Aqua-Corpsman said:

Or maybe the system could be redone, and we can just move the decimal point to the right.
I understand that there would be some repercussions, like inflation, but what do you think @BelgiumFury?

That's indeed what I tought originally but then resulted to not actually act upon.
Both projects and mines would have to be rebalanced to an extreme amount that would make inflation hyperbolic.

Unless ofcourse we raise prices (in this case if a mine makes 4 iron instead of one, everything should go times 4 in cost), this would however cause its own issues in the short term. I think these might be mediated by doing the price changes gradually over the time span of a few months (a multiplier which slowly in a linear way ticks up every turn).

The problem is that someone would have to do all the maths on this and alliances (or people) that have money in store will very duped.

Then we would still have projects that boost production, which would have to change too. 
I however think there is a relatively easy fix for them (I will take the ironworks as example).

"This project will give you (5*0.27*12 = 16.2, rounded off that would be 16) 16 steel per city with 5 steel mills every day change." This would nerf the project sligtly, but I must assume that most people with steel mills have 5 steel mills in their cities, if this is not the case however they would not hagve to but this project (aka it would not affect everyone if they didn't want it too). 
I am usually not in favor of nerfing things that people payed for but projects like ironworks are very cheap and every serious nation has an econ project.


I don't think increasing inflation times 4 is a good idea, and I don't think rebalancing the costs with it is very easy or would be very much appreciated.

Edited by BelgiumFury
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BelgiumFury said:

That's indeed what I tought originally but then resulted to not actually act upon.
Botj projects and mines would have to be rebalanced to an extreme amount that would make inflation hyperbolic.

Unless ofcourse we raise prices (in this case if a mine makes 4 iron instead of one, everything should go times 4 in cost), this would however cause its own issues in the short term. I think these might be mediated by doing the price changes gradually over the time span of a few months (a multiplier which slowly in a linear way ticks up every turn).

The problem is that someone would have to do all the maths on this and alliances (or people) that have money in store will very duped.

Then we would still have projects that boost production, which would have to change too. 
I however think there is a relatively easy fix for them (I will take the ironworks as example).

"This project will give you (5*0.27*12 = 16.2, rounded off that would be 16) 16 steel per city with 5 steel mills every day change." This would nerf the project sligtly, but I must assume that most people with steel mills have 5 steel mills in their cities, if this is not the case however they would not hagve to but this project (aka it would not affect everyone if they didn't want it too). 
I am usually not in favor of nerfing things that people payed for but projects like ironworks are very cheap and every serious nation has an econ project.


I don't think increasing inflation times 4 is a good idea, and I don't think rebalancing the costs with it is very easy or would be very much appreciated.

Right, well said. Worth putting it out there though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2021 at 9:12 AM, Prefontaine said:

Problem lies in that resources are calculated to 2 decimal points. Mines produce 0.25 per mine, per turn. Effectively is someone had only 1 or 2 mines of that type (depending on which way you round at .5)  they might be gaining nothing. 

How about giving the option to destroy your own resources, at least to the nearest whole number? When I don't use oil it's a minor pet peeve to see the 0.50 exist. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, EliteCanada said:

How about giving the option to destroy your own resources, at least to the nearest whole number? When I don't use oil it's a minor pet peeve to see the 0.50 exist. 

At that point, depositing the excess decimals into the bank works fine.

Edited by Hime-sama
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's entirely possible to effectively multiply all the numbers in the game by 100 by simply removing the decimal point from everything. There wouldn't be any real changes to the game except all the numbers would be bigger than before.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The current system is fine and there is literally no reason to change it. Maybe round the display down to the nearest integer while keeping track of the true number but there is no reason to change the true number.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, lightside said:

Maybe round the display down to the nearest integer while keeping track of the true number but there is no reason to change the true number.

I like that. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
19 hours ago, Malal said:

It's entirely possible to effectively multiply all the numbers in the game by 100 by simply removing the decimal point from everything. There wouldn't be any real changes to the game except all the numbers would be bigger than before.

Bigger numbers takes up longer space though and could potentially break the UI in some places.

16 hours ago, lightside said:

The current system is fine and there is literally no reason to change it. Maybe round the display down to the nearest integer while keeping track of the true number but there is no reason to change the true number.

I was thinking this is the most reasonable answer as well, but I imagine we'll get a lot of confused bug reports like "I'm supposed to be making coal but it didn't increase this turn at all" when in reality it did, it just wasn't reflected because of rounding. So, somewhere we would need to display the true values anyway.

I think the best/easiest solution to this (which I don't think is really an issue) would be to just give players an option to show rounded amounts rather than true values in their resource inventory bar.

I also agree that not having decimals would be better all around, but it would be a huge pain in the butt to try to change that all now.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2021 at 1:39 PM, Alex said:

So, somewhere we would need to display the true values anyway.

Maybe have the true value in a tooltip when you hover over a resource value in the resource inventory bar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

This has been added - you can now choose to round your resources to the nearest whole number (display only) via a new setting on the Account page.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Alex said:

This has been added - you can now choose to round your resources to the nearest whole number (display only) via a new setting on the Account page.

I wanna say, this feature when I turned it on literally made me gasp in awe. I have no clue why, it's not even that big, but this is my favorite feature added in the past 6 months. My OCD has been cured. Thanks.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Alex said:

This has been added - you can now choose to round your resources to the nearest whole number (display only) via a new setting on the Account page.

Thanks for the great work Alex!
I get that removing them entirly is hard with how things are currently balanced but this is a nice (beginning :p).
Maybe a quick suggestion though, can we have them centered / with more space inbetween? 
Reading from right to left is not that common in western languages 😛
:)
~Belgium

Edited by BelgiumFury
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Alex said:

This has been added - you can now choose to round your resources to the nearest whole number (display only) via a new setting on the Account page.

Could you instead just clip the display values to integers instead of actually rounding them? Personally I think this would be better as rounding is deceptive when attempting to sell off a resource. For example, 237.6 coal currently displays as 238 coal, but if I try to make a trade offer for that amount it will be rejected because I don't actually have 238 coal. You could say, "But Zeph, just remember the rounding and make a trade offer for 1 less", to which I'd say "Yeah, but rounding doesn't always apply so I might still be left with an ugly 1 coal". As this feature seems to appeal to more obsessive players, I would think the rounding dilemma would be an equal concern and therefore simply clipping to integers is surely a better solution.

I might also suggest doing this for the alliance bank deposit/withdraw screen too (and wherever else I've forgotten its relevancy) 🙏

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
On 1/11/2021 at 9:57 PM, Zephyr said:

Could you instead just clip the display values to integers instead of actually rounding them? Personally I think this would be better as rounding is deceptive when attempting to sell off a resource. For example, 237.6 coal currently displays as 238 coal, but if I try to make a trade offer for that amount it will be rejected because I don't actually have 238 coal. You could say, "But Zeph, just remember the rounding and make a trade offer for 1 less", to which I'd say "Yeah, but rounding doesn't always apply so I might still be left with an ugly 1 coal". As this feature seems to appeal to more obsessive players, I would think the rounding dilemma would be an equal concern and therefore simply clipping to integers is surely a better solution.

I might also suggest doing this for the alliance bank deposit/withdraw screen too (and wherever else I've forgotten its relevancy) 🙏

I did fix this yesterday so it always rounds down.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and the Guidelines of the game and community.