Unclear Rule

Solomon Ben-David

Hi-

Earlier today, I was having a heated discussion with someone about what counts as "using moderation as a weapon". The rule is quoted below.

"Using (or attempting to use) Moderation as a Weapon is against the rules and punishable by a nation strike. An example of using (or attempting to use) Moderation as a Weapon is threatening to report another player to an Administrator or Moderator unless they comply with your request or demands. If someone is in violation of the Game Rules, you are obligated as a player to notify a Game Administrator (through in-game Messaging.)"

I was arguing that this was open to interpretation. For instance, if a player reported a bunch of people based off of an unclear rule, this would run the risk of moderation action. It could be a misuse of reporting, as if the rule proved to be different than what the player thought and they reported a bunch of people falsely, they would get a moderation strike.

The player's point was as follows:

"i know how to interpret it because alex has elaborated on it previously. in fact reading the rule in-game it makes that clear by giving you an example of blackmail."

What is the scope of this rule? Is it just for blackmail or is for a wider range of moderation misuse?

• Upvote 1

4.png

• Administrators
On 12/4/2020 at 1:12 PM, Solomon Ben-David said:

Hi-

Earlier today, I was having a heated discussion with someone about what counts as "using moderation as a weapon". The rule is quoted below.

"Using (or attempting to use) Moderation as a Weapon is against the rules and punishable by a nation strike. An example of using (or attempting to use) Moderation as a Weapon is threatening to report another player to an Administrator or Moderator unless they comply with your request or demands. If someone is in violation of the Game Rules, you are obligated as a player to notify a Game Administrator (through in-game Messaging.)"

I was arguing that this was open to interpretation. For instance, if a player reported a bunch of people based off of an unclear rule, this would run the risk of moderation action. It could be a misuse of reporting, as if the rule proved to be different than what the player thought and they reported a bunch of people falsely, they would get a moderation strike.

The player's point was as follows:

"i know how to interpret it because alex has elaborated on it previously. in fact reading the rule in-game it makes that clear by giving you an example of blackmail."

What is the scope of this rule? Is it just for blackmail or is for a wider range of moderation misuse?

It's for, essentially, blackmail. E.g. "I'll report you if you don't pay me $X or do Y."

Making a report against someone is never against the rules. I have no interest in discouraging people from reporting rules violations, because that's how we catch people violating the rules. Trying to use that as leverage against someone else for some in-game benefit, though, is a violation of this rule.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link