Make minimizing nation descriptions optional

Deborah Kobayashi

10 hours ago, Deborah Kobayashi said:

you made it optional to hide them so im not sure why you even added the feature at all.

I want to see their full nation page as they intended it to be seen, im on mobile that tiny box makes formatting or putting any effort into nation descriptions utterly pointless, and punishes creativity.

If people dont want to see them, they can turn them on or off, so if people want them minimized it should also be an on/off option.

9 hours ago, WarriorSoul said:

Agreed with the folks above. Making descriptions optional seems to eliminate the need to reduce their size. Some people really enjoy the big and boisterous descriptions!

9 hours ago, Kurdanak said:

Great suggestion! Those brave, brave individuals who wish to willingly endure the onslaught that is the menacing Rose Graphics Division should absolutely have the option to do so, if they please (may Sheepy have mercy on their souls...). But seriously though, while I genuinely enjoy the aesthetic of nations that take advantage of the half-column function or other intricate displays, I can understand some having a differing opinion on that. What visuals one desires in P&W is incredibly subjective. Providing options for both nation bios in its entirely and the collapsible function (off by default) is a great compromise.

7 hours ago, Belisarius said:

I feel that the latest change was done in haste and without the consultation of the PW community. That is, it seems that the report of one individual has disrupted the design of many player pages that have remained static for years. While I am no longer in Rose, I also have the half-column medals from my time there. Having that “hidden” is bad enough. What makes it worse is that Alex’s latest changes have also hidden my older nation design that I have had for years. Even if I deleted that half-column of medals, my nation description has nonetheless been degraded by this change. 

And for what? To satiate the wishes of a single player? Especially as the core functionality of warring/spying nations was not affected by the use of half-column designs?

I would like to see a reversal of this change. Given that players have the ability to avoid seeing player-made advertisements in-game, I would hope that this could be done for nation descriptions. That is, if someone wants to opt-out of seeing custom nation descriptions, they can do so. But that this allows for other players to continue customizing their nations as they see fit, without stifling or restricting their creativity. 

6 hours ago, Redarmy said:

I am agree with @Belisarius. If anything you should make it something that people can opt into, like what you did with the autoplay on national anthems. I ask for a revert. 

Reducing control of custom nation description display to simply either on or off does not address the issue though. If one chooses to keep it on, they are subjected to excessively large descriptions, and turning it off to avoid this abuse means they are entirely excluded from the feature. A system which forces players to abandon participation in a game feature to avoid abuse is not a good solution and just empowers abusers.

I think my suggestion from my thread Allow Players to Hide Custom Nation Descriptions with an amendment to incorporate Alex's latest changes, would be a better way of satisfying everyone's preferences:

1. Custom nation description view preference: (collapsed/compact/full)
    Add an option to account settings allowing players to set default custom nation description view to either collapsed (can be optionally opened), compact (500px tall and scrollable and can optionally be opened) or full (no height limit). This will be an especially useful option in wartime to allow players to ignore abusive image obstacles in custom nation descriptions and easily scroll to the information they're looking for.

2. Hide/Show custom nation description button
    At the top of each nation's custom nation description a toggle should be present to allow players to collapse annoying custom nation descriptions, or click to show it again. The game should remember which custom nation descriptions the player has chosen to hide and honour this for all future visits to that nation's page.

I'd really like to see the second point incorporated because I also enjoy most nations' descriptions, but would like the option to hide a few specific nation descriptions. Even if Alex only adopted the first point, it would probably add enough versatility to resolve most grievances expressed in this thread.

Edited by Zephyr

I actually revise my statement.

I suspect that it is actually impossible to have the nation description boxed off (like it is now) and also have an option (so some people see diffrent stuff) to interact (half collumn) with the page.

If my suspicion is correct I am actually asking to go back to the previous  change. I think a nation description gives more advantages to the game than it does disadvantages. If we do have an option where we can make it interact with the nation page, and one can at the same time hide it, i do think more options is good. If that however is a lot of work / hard to program, i kindly ask to go back.

Some profiles remind me of the MySpace days where people had very massive obnoxious custom HTML profiles.

This change is for the better, although I think it would be better if the div displaying the nation's bio had a maximum height and would have a "show more" button at the bottom.

https://stackoverflow.com/a/20735921

• Downvote 3

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I'll just remove the overflow box and leave the setting. If you don't want to see nation descriptions, you can activate the setting. Otherwise, they can be displayed like they were before.

Note: It might take a day or two to get that change pushed live.

Thank you Alex. 

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I'll just remove the overflow box and leave the setting. If you don't want to see nation descriptions, you can activate the setting. Otherwise, they can be displayed like they were before.

So the Hide custom nation descriptions by default box when checked will hide other players nation descriptions instead of your own nation description when this change goes live?

17 hours ago, Alex said:

can respond to this where i quote you saying more options are better even if they arnt used that much?

cause id prefer the middle ground where i can still see pplz creativity but not have to suffer thru scrolling 5-8 times more than i need to

rawr

• Administrators
10 hours ago, katashimon13 said:

can respond to this where i quote you saying more options are better even if they arnt used that much?

cause id prefer the middle ground where i can still see pplz creativity but not have to suffer thru scrolling 5-8 times more than i need to

rawr

You'll still be able to click the "show nation description" button if you want to see it.

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

On 12/8/2020 at 2:43 PM, Alex said:

You'll still be able to click the "show nation description" button if you want to see it.

we will probably not be "hooked" by other parts enough to click that button if the full block option is enabled

there is not much to entice one to go out of the way and click a the button

rawr

this is more like it gif.gif

On a serious note, imo the new descriptions update overall is not bad but there continues to be an issue for when images are added. Sometimes when a picture or gif is added, it makes the score over time and score breakdown graphs appear blank.

Edited by Golden Key
extending the message

676912258_galaxybrain.webp.5c1275f9a627f0a3b84e6f73d163a6c5.webp

My opinion may not reflect those of my alliance or its affiliates. Please read at your own discretion.