Thoughts on the global war and the nature of truth

Phoenyx

Thought I'd make a thread where people could be a little philosophical on these things. Wanted to start it off from a quote from Frank Herbert's book God: Emperor of Dune:

“Beware of the truth, gentle Sister. Although much sought after, truth can be dangerous to the seeker. Myths and reassuring lies are much easier to find and believe. If you find a truth, even a temporary one, it can demand that you make painful changes. Conceal your truths within words. Natural ambiguity will protect you then. Words are much easier to absorb than are the sharp Delphic stabs of wordless portent. With words, you can cry out in the chorus:

“ ‘Why didn’t someone warn me?’

‘But I did warn you. I warned you by example, not with words.’

“There are inevitably more than enough words. You record them in your marvelous memory even now. And someday, my journals will be discovered—more words. I warn you that you read my words at your peril. The wordless movement of terrible events lies just below their surface. Be deaf! You do not need to hear or, hearing, you do not need to remember. How soothing it is to forget. And how dangerous!

“Words such as mine have long been recognized for their mysterious power. There is a secret knowledge here which can be used to rule the forgetful. My truths are the substance of myths and lies which tyrants have always counted on to maneuver the masses for selfish design.

“You see? I share it all with you, even the greatest mystery of all time, the mystery by which I compose my life. I reveal it to you in words:

“The only past which endures lies wordlessly within you.”

-Frank Herbert. God Emperor of Dune. Ace Books. Kindle Edition. 

Edited by Phoenyx
Formatting
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

55 minutes ago, Ducc said:

"Hughes is truth, truth is Hughes"

-Hughes, 2020

Who is Hughes :-p?

Here's another one from Frank Herbert that I really like and I think can kind of apply in this global war. I think my favourite line in it is the last one...

I bequeath to you my fear and loneliness. To you I give the certainty that the body and soul of the Bene Gesserit will meet the same fate as all other bodies and all other souls.

What is survival if you do not survive whole?

Ask the Bene-Tleilax that!

What if you no longer hear the music of life?

Memories are not enough unless they call you to noble purpose!

With whom do you ally?

With the self-idolators of the Tleilax?

With my Fish Speaker bureaucracy?

With the cosmos-wandering Guild?

With Harkonnen blood sacrificers?

With a dogmatic sink of your own creation?

How will you meet your end?

As no more than a secret society?

-Heretics of Dune

Edited by Phoenyx
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Hari said:

Shrek 2 is the best movie ever created

I think we're getting dangerously off topic, but I did like the original Shrek :-p. I don't think I've seen all of the second, but how do you figure it was the best movie ever created?

So I play this other game called Call of War. There are different maps in this game, one of them is called American Front 1.5 and I'm playing one of those games right now. In that game, some nations become pretty powerful and it comes down to just a few nations in the entire board. So I'm essentially the leader of the largest Coalition there and I've decided that we should strive for World Peace. Now you must understand that the actual -point- of the game is for a given Coalition or individual nation to get a certain amount of points, thus winning the game. By striving for world peace, I'm kind of hampering that. In other words, the incentives to continue wars there are -very- strong. So a friend of mine in the game made a meme that I thought I'd share his meme :-p...

Girl_Putting_Tuba_On_Girls_Head_15112020084249.thumb.jpg.a44d7460b40bf93c9c2747e894b26953.jpg

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Phoenyx said:

First off, I'm not a "multi". Secondly, I think that'd be obvious due to my clear lack of knowledge when I started posting here. 

Clear lack of knowledge? Sounds like Noctis, Inst, or maybe even, as Scarf said, Jonas. 

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

Alright, well right off the hop, this guy's reputation is pretty negative, while mine is positive, at least so far (knock on wood). It looks like that started from his very first post- I'm guessing it had a lot to do with the title and the content of the thread you linked to.

Secondly, I don't think he understood that wars are going to happen. Like me, he may not be a fan, but unlike me, he didn't seem to a large part of why people come to play here is because of the option to go to war. It is Politics and War, after all. I may -want- World Peace, but I also recognize that wars tend to bring people together, especially when the wars in question are games. We realize the advantages of grouping together, can be a good way to start conversations. 

Edited by Phoenyx

Another quote from Frank Herbert's God: Emperor of Dune:

I have isolated the city-experience within me and have examined it closely. The idea of a city fascinates me. The formation of a biological community without a functioning, supportive social community leads to havoc. Whole worlds have become single biological communities without an interrelated social structure and this has always led to ruin. It becomes dramatically instructive under overcrowded conditions. The ghetto is lethal. Psychic stresses of overcrowding create pressures which will erupt. The city is an attempt to manage these forces. The social forms by which cities make the attempt are worth study. Remember that there exists a certain malevolence about the formation of any social order. It is the struggle for existence by an artificial entity. Despotism and slavery hover at the edges. Many injuries occur and, thus, the need for laws. The law develops its own power structure, creating more wounds and new injustices. Such trauma can be healed by cooperation, not by confrontation. The summons to cooperate identifies the healer.

-The Stolen Journals 

On 11/15/2020 at 9:10 AM, Phoenyx said:

So I play this other game called Call of War. There are different maps in this game, one of them is called American Front 1.5 and I'm playing one of those games right now. In that game, some nations become pretty powerful and it comes down to just a few nations in the entire board. So I'm essentially the leader of the largest Coalition there and I've decided that we should strive for World Peace. Now you must understand that the actual -point- of the game is for a given Coalition or individual nation to get a certain amount of points, thus winning the game. By striving for world peace, I'm kind of hampering that. In other words, the incentives to continue wars there are -very- strong. So a friend of mine in the game made a meme that I thought I'd share his meme :-p...

Girl_Putting_Tuba_On_Girls_Head_15112020084249.thumb.jpg.a44d7460b40bf93c9c2747e894b26953.jpg

Well, in the American Front Call of War game I was playing, my Coalition did win and I also managed to have a lot of people  stay to the end as well :-). I'm Scott1975 over there.

https://www.callofwar.com/play.php?bust=1&&uid=24630499&gameID=3501122

On 11/15/2020 at 12:51 PM, Phoenyx said:

I think at this point, you're just trolling. 

They have been the whole time. It's honestly very frustrating & most of the community is this way. I've been fighting it for the longest run & but feels like a useless fight at times. Thou over the past two years has taught me a lot. Most of the ppl who do so are doing it just to push for relevance cus they feel just little attention, even laughter makes them feel important & a good person/player. Usually they're not. They're just what makes this games universe a toxic & inconsiderate shit hole. Truly those ppl are also what makes this place highly sensitive and insecure only cus most of there "jokes" are 2+2=5 kind of humor. Anyways, welcome to Orbis, how can I help you further?

• Haha 1

memed-iFirwof650x150.jpeg.9a92ea222b9010f9fae97a1864a6759e.jpeg     

I personally voice my own thought processes based on own desires of informational curiosity as well love for discussion based on questions & statements I made rather just trusting info like a collective hivemind

Onlookers whom hop aboard the brainless bandwagon refusing inter-articulation based on assumed feelings, go give yo balls a tug ya tit fugger         

10 minutes ago, Firwof Kromwell said:

They have been the whole time. It's honestly very frustrating & most of the community is this way. I've been fighting it for the longest run & but feels like a useless fight at times. Thou over the past two years has taught me a lot. Most of the ppl who do so are doing it just to push for relevance cus they feel just little attention, even laughter makes them feel important & a good person/player. Usually they're not. They're just what makes this games universe a toxic & inconsiderate shit hole. Truly those ppl are also what makes this place highly sensitive and insecure only cus most of there "jokes" are 2+2=5 kind of humor. Anyways, welcome to Orbis, how can I help you further?

Thanks for the post Firwolf. I've definitely been playing this game a lot less time than you, but it's good to know that there are others who think that the status quote could use some work. Anyway, 15 minutes to Thalmor's show, we'll see how that goes...

• Upvote 1