10/13/2014 - Inactivity Deletion

Alex

• Administrators

Hello everyone!

Just a quick update to let you know that I've changed how long it takes for inactive nations to be deleted. Previously, the limit was 45 days before a nation was deleted, which I think is too long. There are a lot of inactive nations and the odds of those folks coming back after 43 or 44 days is slim, so I've reduced the limit from 45 days to 30 days. You will still receive inactivity e-mails before your nation is deleted, just like before.

I wanted to give a quick update on the status of the game as well -- things are going smoothly. I'm working on making minor additions, fixing minor bugs, etc. but so far things have gone really well since we launched. The number of players we have has grown quickly, and I'm doing my best to get some advertising going so that we can get more players in our community.

I'm also looking at developing or paying to have an app developed for the game. I think that increased accessibility via iOS and Android would 1) Bring in a lot of new players and 2) Be a huge convenience for you guys that are already playing and use mobile devices. I've contacted a few companies about developing an app since I have no experience or knowledge of how it works, and so far I've gotten one response back with a quoted price of $30,000 to $40,000, which is obviously far outside the price range for a small game like this. If you're an app developer or know an app developer who might be interested in taking on a project like this, please contact me by sending me a Private Message either here on the forums or in the game.

Thanks, and as always, you guys are awesome!

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Yeah you're never gunna get a quote within your range for a game like this (I work for a web development company). Even freelancers will be too expensive. Best bet is doing it yourself using a wrapper such as phone gap or just going the responsive route

• Upvote 1
T7Vrilp.png

• Administrators

Yeah you're never gunna get a quote within your range for a game like this (I work for a web development company). Even freelancers will be too expensive. Best bet is doing it yourself using a wrapper such as phone gap or just going the responsive route

Interesting, thanks for sharing that information. I didn't know what it cost to develop an app, but I'm looking at learning some Android development knowledge currently. Do you know how hard it is to port an android app over to iOS?

You can afford it if you get heaps of ads!!! Like Flappy Bird, that guy was making like over $50k a day from ads!! Not pop ups, just little ads on the top and bottom of the screen!

Flappy bird had far more users than P&W will have. Even the ads on the website now don't make anywhere close to $50K a day, it's often times cents on the dollar.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

For a you gy like you, Sheepy, your best choice would be learning the development skills yourself to make the app. The coding knowledge to gain from doing it will pay you back huge dividends over your lifetime.

• Upvote 2

"It's hard to be a team player when you're omnipotent." - Q

Interesting, thanks for sharing that information. I didn't know what it cost to develop an app, but I'm looking at learning some Android development knowledge currently. Do you know how hard it is to port an android app over to iOS?

Its been a couple of years since I used phonegap, but I believe it does all that for you. If not that, then there's definitely something that does because I remember using it. 

Edit before posting: here's a quote from the PhoneGap Website:

Package mobile apps in the cloud

PhoneGap Build takes the pain out of compiling PhoneGap apps. Get app-store ready apps without the headache of maintaining native SDKs. Our PhoneGap Build service does the work for you by compiling in the cloud.

T7Vrilp.png

For a you gy like you, Sheepy, your best choice would be learning the development skills yourself to make the app. The coding knowledge to gain from doing it will pay you back huge dividends over your lifetime.

I have to agree with this, definitely, if you're up for the challenge.
xzhPlEh.png?1

I'm 99% sure that you can port an android app to windows. ;)

Edited by WISD0MTREE

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

Personally, I think you could've just made it so that once a nation hits 30 days inactivity, they disappear from the game but still technically exist.  I'm not talking about a move to grey or wherever.  They don't appear anywhere until the member returns and logs back in.  At that point, their nation is the way they left it however long ago.  Most won't return if they've been inactive that long, but some may consider it if they don't have to start from scratch.  Perhaps after 90 days, they get an actual hard delete.

As an aside, how about that vacation mode?  Probably should revisit that conversation with a new thread soon.

• Upvote 4

c3Ct0v4.png

Personally, I think you could've just made it so that once a nation hits 30 days inactivity, they disappear from the game but still technically exist.  I'm not talking about a move to grey or wherever.  They don't appear anywhere until the member returns and logs back in.  At that point, their nation is the way they left it however long ago.  Most won't return if they've been inactive that long, but some may consider it if they don't have to start from scratch.  Perhaps after 90 days, they get an actual hard delete.

As an aside, how about that vacation mode?  Probably should revisit that conversation with a new thread soon.

I remember when I Started I did that

Peace will never be accomplished without war, but war cannot happen without peace.... or something like that idk

• Administrators

It's based on logging in to your account.

Technically it's based on the last time you were logged in, not necessarily the last time you actually clicked the button to login, but you can't do anything while you're logged in without logging in first sooo... the point is a bit, eh, pointless. 

Basically: close enough.

• Upvote 1

Forums Rules | Game Link

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

Just a quick update to let you know that I've changed how long it takes for inactive nations to be deleted. Previously, the limit was 45 days before a nation was deleted, which I think is too long. There are a lot of inactive nations and the odds of those folks coming back after 43 or 44 days is slim, so I've reduced the limit from 45 days to 30 days. You will still receive inactivity e-mails before your nation is deleted, just like before.

I wanted to give a quick update on the status of the game as well -- things are going smoothly. I'm working on making minor additions, fixing minor bugs, etc. but so far things have gone really well since we launched. The number of players we have has grown quickly, and I'm doing my best to get some advertising going so that we can get more players in our community.

I'm also looking at developing or paying to have an app developed for the game. I think that increased accessibility via iOS and Android would 1) Bring in a lot of new players and 2) Be a huge convenience for you guys that are already playing and use mobile devices. I've contacted a few companies about developing an app since I have no experience or knowledge of how it works, and so far I've gotten one response back with a quoted price of $30,000 to $40,000, which is obviously far outside the price range for a small game like this. If you're an app developer or know an app developer who might be interested in taking on a project like this, please contact me by sending me a Private Message either here on the forums or in the game.

Thanks, and as always, you guys are awesome!

Good update. As far as the developer thing and the ads thing, I'm pretty sure that if you contact google and set up an adsense account (much like you would to put ads on youtube videos) you can get paid for ads on your page. Not that you should shell out 40k for a app developer either way...

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Mikhail Gorbachev

+1 to this. I don't think any nation should be deleted as there is always a chance someone will want to make a return after a long period of absence.