PW Design - Menu

Aksel

Hello Community,

Help us with some positive feedback on these mockups.

Concept: Design a responsive Header for menu responsiveness across all devices - with the most visual change on larger displays (pc, large tablets). This change will likely not change the look of those used to the mobile menu - other than possible shortening of menu lists. Mobile users are already used to the top Nav options they can use as well as clicking the 3 horizontal line (hamburger) menu icon to access the sidebar/dropdown full menu. That would all likely just be updated to fit the form.

Again, those on mobile might see an update in the look/feel - but would still use the menu the same way.

These mockups are for what they would look like on a larger display which many people use.

Lastly, these are just design concepts - the actual look of the real deal would be polished, we create mock-ups of the ideas to have a visual of what the community or Alex has asked for so that the site development lady and Alex can actually implement it into the site.

Some feedback from the discord community was:

-Have the option for either top or sidebar
This likely will not be happening - we will be redesigning the header/footer of the site so that Alex can get in and start work on the body - this opens the door to a total site redesign to bring it to a modern age. Our goal is to have the top nav be a bit more user friendly, quick access to links users use most frequently and limiting the dropdown box size.

Here are some mock-ups created by team member, Viselli:

resourcetopnodrop.png

Image shows top nav with resource bar on top - no dropdown shown.^

resourcebottomnav.png

Image shows top nav with resource bar on the bottom - with drop down example. ^

resourcetopnav.png

Image shows top bar nav with resource bar on top - with drop down example. ^

Do your thing community - give us the feedback! Remember, focus on the concept and not the details of the image.

Edited by Mad Max
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

• Wiki Mod

Please keep in mind the mock ups are far from a finished product, they are to help get a sense of where things go, not so much a reflection on final appearances.

Also this process will almost not effect the mobile navigation at all.

• Upvote 3

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

2 hours ago, Dr Rush said:

Please keep in mind the mock ups are far from a finished product, they are to help get a sense of where things go, not so much a reflection on final appearances.

Also this process will almost not effect the mobile navigation at all.

That's kind of strange considering I'm pretty sure most players play a large or even majority amount on mobile. I almost never access it from my PC, personally.

• Upvote 2

Ya I don't like that at all. On mobile it would be a terrible nightmare and I think also would be worse then the current navigation on a computer. The sidebar allows you to easily access everything without having to go through annoying drop downs or additinal navigation screens. 

Edited by lightside
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Akuryo said:

That's kind of strange considering I'm pretty sure most players play a large or even majority amount on mobile. I almost never access it from my PC, personally.

Thanks for the feedback - We don't expect a change to the mobile navigation menu - we used a larger display mock to indicate a non-mobile change.

31 minutes ago, lightside said:

Ya I don't like that at all. On mobile it would be a terrible nightmare and I think also would be worse then the current navigation on a computer. The sidebar allows you to easily access everything without having to go through annoying drop downs or additinal navigation screens. 

Thank you for your feedback - Like stated in the OP, the goal is to limit unnecessary drop downs while utilizing high traffic links that players use every day. There has also been the suggestion to allow players to edit their player menu on those larger displays just like you can on the mobile display. The sidebar menu has 'drop downs' in a sense when accessing the numerous pages via a given main category item.

• Like 1

You should do a recomplete rework of the UI and visual assets in general. Do it from the ground up so everything is tied together with a nice cohesive design. Be creative about it, 1995 was 25 years ago and changing the position of a button is hardly a 'concept'. 

Edited by Marzipan
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

Throw me to the wolves and I’ll return leading the pack.

5 hours ago, Marzipan said:

You should do a recomplete rework of the UI and visual assets in general. Do it from the ground up so everything is tied together with a nice cohesive design. Be creative about it, 1995 was 25 years ago and changing the position of a button is hardly a 'concept'. 

Trust me when I say, we are with you on that. We are at the Will of Alex and there’s a lot that may be a mess within how it was built which really isn’t a secret. Main thing is he wants to make a change and things that we have worked on are what he wants to change currently - later I’ll post up our task board so y’all can see what we have on our table. 

• Upvote 1

The purpose of a redesign is to make it actually usable. Not moving a menu out of reach for moblie users and only targeting people that use big screens. People do use big screens sometimes but not to drag out a whole computer to check their nation for a couple minutes or something.

Usually, people think of this before they go off designing something because it's a waste of time to generate an idea that, already out the door, is irrelevant. You would know this if you actually had a real design team and not a clique your buddies.

Edited by Deulos

4 hours ago, Deulos said:

The purpose of a redesign is to make it actually usable. Not moving a menu out of reach for moblie users and only targeting people that use big screens. People do use big screens sometimes but not to drag out a whole computer to check their nation for a couple minutes or something.

Usually, people think of this before they go off designing something because it's a waste of time to generate an idea that, already out the door, is irrelevant. You would know this if you actually had a real design team and not a clique your buddies.

Not to sound - harsh - but nowhere does it say mobile would be affected by this change, in fact 2 of us on the design team have said that mobile wouldn't change. The idea of a total site re-design is to make the site responsive - which means no matter what device you use it on, the user would have the same usability and ease of access to all areas of the site. This is something Alex has been working to implement through various portions of the site already. Integrating the Footer/Header portions of the site to that responsive design means he can then move to the body of the site - which he hopes would push to a quicker resolution to a site-wide update.

We have thought of this - which is why we stated mobile wouldn't be affected and only larger displays would see a new top nav - something that mobile is slightly already utilizing. Generating ideas is easy, implementing them is hard because people choose not to read, ask questions, or focus on 1 minute detail of an idea or potential design without providing the positive feedback within their response that actually aids the design and site development team with what they need to proceed.

I'll outline a few portions of this navigation for those of you who are here:

1. This will not affect the way you navigate in mobile mobile users already utilize a top nav and due to the screen size on mobile devices, your menu would appear like any type of menu appearing from the side of the screen by clicking that hamburger icon. This is a widely used practice for any application or responsive site.

2. The offered mock-ups in the OP are not considered 'finished'  - they are just a visual of the idea presented to the design team from Alex. We take on his ideas and plans and create what it could look like - he weighs in, we work in developing a modern style-look, as well as something that is smart and user friendly. We then take our designs to alex as well as YOU so we can get some good feedback.

3. I've been PW discord mod, Forum Mod, in the Closed Dev discussions back in the day, and the recent dev team - and I can personally say that out of all those teams, the Design team is not only the most fun to work in, but has a solid group of people that actually focus on what you need and what would actually BE needed as the site continues to change and update with Alex and his Dev. Suggesting that we are only here because we are 'buddies' with Alex is wrong and quite ignorant. Each team member provides me with a portfolio and answers to a short questionnaire to determine if they would be fit to help out the team. We are literally taking time out of our lives, for no pay or benefit whatsoever besides a group color and achievement in-game to assist with site changes and aesthetics development. We are working for all players and encouraging positive feedback from the community before any changes are made through our side  - we rely on it.

That being said, be the change you wish to see in the world. If you think you could provide a good perspective to the design team, my discord DMs are open.Mad Max#0001 - hit me up and I'll provide you an app.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KingGhost said:

I Personally don't like the design, I don't see a reason to make people click multiple times in order to access different areas, currently i can go to forums immediately, or go to my revenue page immediately if i wanted to. If i wished to i could go back a page then immediately click to my current wars.

With this change i would have to click a drop down every time, perhaps its just me but i would really prefer the current design over this with how many pages there are. Though I don't know anything about design.

That is where the 'minimal style' comes in to play - we want to take that bulk of the menu and actually shorten it up. I apologize if that wasn't clear - this post just shows and is looking for feedback on a top nav. Resource bar below or above. Simple. Here's some plans for the future of this project:

1. We want to minimize the clicks - so while we are working on this project, we also have other projects underway that reduce the amount of screens you see to get to the destination you're heading. For example - military units. There are 7 separate pages to update/edit your units. We want to make this 1 screen with all of the information provided for you to 1 click or input your own value for units. This would require 1 link at the top nav for 'military'  instead of 7.

2. High Traffic Links - like you said and like @Hime-sama just said mirroring your feedback in a DM on discord - we don't want you to have to navigate through a drop down to get to those high traffic links like; revenue, wars, trade...etc. When we minimize the style of the menu and when I say minimize I don't mean make the font smaller - just the scale of the menu. You'll be able to group those low traffic links into their categories, stuff that doesn't need that fast response.... and then provide your personal high traffic links to the top nav for one click access.

So, take a look at this mockup I just threw together real quick (don't mind the spacing, color, etc....this is just a general idea of what we are actually heading for)

newnav.png

So, the left side will have your hot/high traffic links that some of y'all are worried about losing access to - not every one is there right now because I just threw this together in 5 minutes. The left side holds your heavy menu items like world, community, account - and of course your inbox. I added some flair to the inbox just to show what we could go for.

View Nation, Revenue, My Wars, Alliance, (add  military) would be all one click access.

Things that i'm posting to the design team and alex right now are:

-Lets make those hot links configurable to players - we can do that on mobile, so why not on larger displays. This way you're in control of what you want for your hot link access - if you're a raider, get your war military options, if you're a trader - get your market, options....etc.

I hope this helps better with a visualization of where we *want* to head to - but again the primary focus here was 'hey, y'all like a top nav.' This does help tho.

Shoutout to Hime for helping me out with the mock.

Edited by Mad Max
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Mad Max said:

That being said, be the change you wish to see in the world. If you think you could provide a good perspective to the design team, my discord DMs are open.Mad Max#0001 - hit me up and I'll provide you an app.

Stop lying, you froze me out. In fact I will come up with a UI change. You won't be able to use it though since you and your privileged team already think they know what's best.

55 minutes ago, Deulos said:

Stop lying, you froze me out. In fact I will come up with a UI change. You won't be able to use it though since you and your privileged team already think they know what's best.

If you’re upset about not being in the Team - gosh. I’m sorry, but you provided no substance to your app and unlike other teams here - I’m not allowing nonsense in the team. 

im sorry you didn’t get picked for a team in kickball but this ain’t the thread for it. 

14 hours ago, Mad Max said:

Hey, if there's an application, could I ask to see where to find it? I'd like to fill one out. Thanks.
... Actually, I'll send a DM to you.

14 hours ago, KingGhost said:

I Personally don't like the design, I don't see a reason to make people click multiple times in order to access different areas, currently i can go to forums immediately, or go to my revenue page immediately if i wanted to. If i wished to i could go back a page then immediately click to my current wars.

With this change i would have to click a drop down every time, perhaps its just me but i would really prefer the current design over this with how many pages there are. Though I don't know anything about design.

Maybe instead of clicking a drop down, you could hover your cursor over it and then click on the link. Also, a direct link to the most important places would be handy, like wars, military, etc.

46 minutes ago, AwesomeNova said:

Maybe instead of clicking a drop down, you could hover your cursor over it and then click on the link. Also, a direct link to the most important places would be handy, like wars, military, etc.

Just gotta make sure it's not finicky that way. I can't remember at the top of my head specifically, but there are websites that have had issues doing it like that.

13 hours ago, Mad Max said:

So, take a look at this mockup I just threw together real quick (don't mind the spacing, color, etc....this is just a general idea of what we are actually heading for)

newnav.png

So, the left side will have your hot/high traffic links that some of y'all are worried about losing access to - not every one is there right now because I just threw this together in 5 minutes. The left side holds your heavy menu items like world, community, account - and of course your inbox. I added some flair to the inbox just to show what we could go for.

Definitely looks better than the original post. If you were to go with something like this, i think the gray would be fine.

Edited by Xavier Renarus
  • Upvote 1

hfzkFUp.gif

1 hour ago, Xavier Renarus said:

Just gotta make sure it's not finicky that way. I can't remember at the top of my head specifically, but there are websites that have had issues doing it like that.

Definitely looks better than the original post. If you were to go with something like this, i think the gray would be fine.

I am once again asking for your help with getting Alex away from making everything blue and white. 😂

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't like it. Muscle memory has it to the spot it's in. This doesn't quite make anything better? If it's part of a larger redesign, then maybe show the big picture? You'd also have to note some of us write scripts that inject shortcuts into the menu, so a change for no reason just breaks existing stuff.

What I'd like to see is less button clicks for the more frequently hit pages - rebuy planes, My Trades, treasure list. I even modded a shortcut to viewing buy/sell prices of specific resources, so maybe that should be in there somewhere (I know the navbar shows buy prices).

• Wiki Mod

For those concerned, menus on the navbar will open on mouseover not on click.

Here is a question though, should the navbar be pinned to the screen, or should it move down when you scroll so its always visible?

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

6 hours ago, Dr Rush said:

Here is a question though, should the navbar be pinned to the screen, or should it move down when you scroll so its always visible?

How do you do mouseover in mobile? 

I don't want another nightmare.

• Wiki Mod
2 hours ago, Flavee said:

How do you do mouseover in mobile? 

I don't want another nightmare.

Again we aren't messing with mobile nav.

On 10/19/2020 at 8:34 PM, Dr Rush said:

Any changes should be scroll-able. Being able to quickly change to a different page, like say trade or war, I think is necessary.

I do hope the mouse over for the menus on the navbar are nicely done, I've personally had issues with mouse over bars being finicky at times.

hfzkFUp.gif