Change how project slots work

Raphael

With 2 out of every 3 suggestions being a new project, we need to re-examine how project slots function if that's going to be a primary mode of nation customization. 5-10 slots for the average nation doesn't offer a ton of freedom especially considering that several projects are "essential" to functioning in PnW.

I have a few perspectives on this:

1. Classify certain projects as "Essential" and these cost 0 slots to purchase. These can be viewed as flat nation upgrades rather than nation customization slots. My personal suggested list would be the Intelligence Agency, Propaganda Bureau, Space Program, Center for Civil Engineering, Moon Landing, and maybe the two Urban Planning projects. Effectively all of these are firmly in the "need" category of projects rather than a "customization" category.

2. Tie project slots into different things other than infra. 5000 infra earns a project slot, 5 cities earns a project slot, 100 wars fought earns a project slot, maybe even certain achievements can earn a project slot. This would allow for a certain retention of project slots as well even if infra is shed, which I think helps further customization.

3. Allow project "swapping." You buy a project once and can choose when to equip, unequip, or re-equip it. Basically "unlocking" the project instead of paying for it multiple times.

4. Rework Pirate Economy into something useful and nerf the iron dome/VDS. :P

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I like the idea of project swapping, but we really don’t need a higher project limit. Projects should be something that lets you specialize your nation in a different way then other people and currently it’s easy to get most of them with time. I’d rather we add a minimum project amount based on city’s so that way pirates and new players have an easier time getting slots.

• Like 1

I fail to see how 

• Space Program
  • Moon Landing
  • the two Urban Planning projects.

Are considered essential.
Maybe we have diffrent ideas of what essential means, but a project that does literally nothing is not essential.
Space program isn't essential either, none of the space projects are good enough to be considered essential.

The two UP's arent esential either, seeing how little people actually bough them.

Idea 2 seems sound.
Idea 3 seems not terrible but there would have to be some kind of cost (both time and money wise) for swapping.

6 hours ago, BelgiumFury said:

I fail to see how 

• Space Program
  • Moon Landing
  • the two Urban Planning projects.

Are considered essential.
Maybe we have diffrent ideas of what essential means, but a project that does literally nothing is not essential.
Space program isn't essential either, none of the space projects are good enough to be considered essential.

The two UP's arent esential either, seeing how little people actually bough them.

Idea 2 seems sound.
Idea 3 seems not terrible but there would have to be some kind of cost (both time and money wise) for swapping.

On the contrary, the space program is a requirement for the almighty spy satellite which is stupid overpowered according to T$ milcom consensus. Urban Plannings meanwhile are both tremendously solid investments if you get them early enough. ...Fair point on the moon landing though 😅

Anyway, it is indeed clear that you and the OP have very different ideas of what "essential" is: He's saying that any project which is a straight upgrade and always beneficial shouldn't cost a project slot, whereas projects that require a particular build to have any effect should cost a slot. Otherwise, there's not really any room for customization until almost whale status, since there would therefore be a definitively "correct" project lineup of PB, IA, CCE, (economic), MLP, SP, SS. (Possibly including VDS/ID/NRF somewhere in there, depending on the current global war scenario. Order of construction may vary, I've listed them in the order I would suggest they be built in).

The spy satellite being overpowered is not necessarily a bad thing. If it is. I have not studied it hard.  It takes 2 project slots to own it. The 2 UP projects are stupid expensive for smaller nations to consider. I like the swapping idea in theory. It would allow you to have a peace and growth vs a wartime set up. The downside is it would make everyone the same and eliminate consequences from your build choices. The reality is no swapping is better. 

I am in the camp of ‘projects are good for customization’ too. The proposed changes would give me 4-6 more slots, which means I can get about every project even without being a whale. I would vote for adding projects faster than adding more project slots. It is fun to figure out which project to do (vs every nation in the game starting to look the same :) )

On 10/14/2020 at 3:35 AM, whiskerz said:

The spy satellite being overpowered is not necessarily a bad thing. If it is. I have not studied it hard.  It takes 2 project slots to own it. The 2 UP projects are stupid expensive for smaller nations to consider. I like the swapping idea in theory. It would allow you to have a peace and growth vs a wartime set up. The downside is it would make everyone the same and eliminate consequences from your build choices. The reality is no swapping is better. 

it takes 3 project slots.

MLP is complete ass. 

• Downvote 1

• Wiki Mod

Per my usual, I would toss slots entirely and go for a research type system where every project has a base effect which you can increase through further investment. Specializations arise from investment choices rather than a hard limit which is more organic. It also scales better with nation growth. Ofc a few projects would need some serious tweaks in this setup, but thats needed anyways.

• Upvote 2

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid