Coerced Quitting / Forcing Players to Quit or Leave the Game

Guest Zephyr

Guest Zephyr

Offender's Ruler Name: Sketchy
Offender's Forum Account: https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/profile/488-sketchy/
Nation Link: https://politicsandwar.com/nation/id=37791

Coerced Quitting / Forcing Players to Quit or Leave the Game

Bullying, harassing, or otherwise coercing/encouraging players to quit the game is against the rules. Depending on the severity and scale of the offense, this can result in anywhere from a moderation strike to a permanent ban. The punishment is subject to moderator discretion.

image.thumb.png.8ade0320d226f576c30d1f10d1b160d2.png

Offending Post Link: https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/topic/29893-nation-ability-to-block-high-alliance-taxs/&do=findComment&comment=472759

The game rules state that "encouraging players to quit the game is against the rules". Sketchy's post sarcastically encourages another player to quit the game.

Of note: the player being "encouraged" to do anything deleted their nation within a day of starting the topic it's posted in.

You're making the equivalent of charging with murder a guy who two weeks after it happened with an alibi so solid he was at a police fund raiser because he made a joke pretending he did it.

• Upvote 4

Guest Zephyr
8 hours ago, Akuryo said:

Of note: the player being "encouraged" to do anything deleted their nation within a day of starting the topic it's posted in.

You're making the equivalent of charging with murder a guy who two weeks after it happened with an alibi so solid he was at a police fund raiser because he made a joke pretending he did it.

The rule speaks to intent, not outcome of action. Being ineffectual does not absolve one of their intent to encourage a player to quit the game, which is specifically what the game rules identify as an offence. Alternatively you are suggesting that any time a player is ineffectual in bullying/harassing/coercing/encouraging players to quit the game, an offence has not occurred. Obviously this is not the spirit of the game rule.

Edited by Zephyr

15 hours ago, Zephyr said:

The rule speaks to intent, not outcome of action. Being ineffectual does not absolve one of their intent to encourage a player to quit the game, which is specifically what the game rules identify as an offence. Alternatively you are suggesting that any time a player is ineffectual in bullying/harassing/coercing/encouraging players to quit the game, an offence has not occurred. Obviously this is not the spirit of the game rule.

Oh you are actually serious lmfao.

There was no coercion or force, it was a sarcastic joke, as you acknowledged yourself.

But feel free to report me to the manager if it gets your rocks off Karen lmfao.

• Haha 3

XLL3z4T.gif

Guest Zephyr
3 hours ago, Sketchy said:

Oh you are actually serious lmfao.

There was no coercion or force, it was a sarcastic joke, as you acknowledged yourself.

The rule covers more than just coercion and force if you read it...

Bullying, harassing, or otherwise coercing/encouraging players to quit the game is against the rules.

You encouraged another player to quit the game. Arguing that because you did so with contemptuous wit isn't any better either as it arguably also falls under bullying.

3 hours ago, Sketchy said:

But feel free to report me to the manager if it gets your rocks off Karen lmfao.

Ironic statement. I have simply made a report of your offence, whereas you are the one self indulgently posting offhand presumptions about my character.

33 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

The rule covers more than just coercion and force if you read it...

You encouraged another player to quit the game. Arguing that because you did so with contemptuous wit isn't any better either as it arguably also falls under bullying.

Ironic statement. I have simply made a report of your offence, whereas you are the one self indulgently posting offhand presumptions about my character.

I would say scouring through the rulebook to find nebulous wording you can use to prosecute a sarcastic shitpost is about as Karen as it gets. Don't need to presume much lmfao.

XLL3z4T.gif

Guest Zephyr
2 hours ago, Sketchy said:

I would say scouring through the rulebook to find nebulous wording you can use to prosecute a sarcastic shitpost is about as Karen as it gets. Don't need to presume much lmfao.

You say many things, apparently little of substance. For instance you have not once, but twice now trotted out a logical fallacy which does not make your argument compelling. Being a presumptuous person capable of producing baseless rhetoric to mock the individual reporting you does nothing to address the claim against you. This is character assassination; a distraction that is completely irrelevant to the objective of the thread, a common ploy used when one is incapable of forming a substantive argument for the topic at hand.

The rule isn't ill-defined, you may just be displeased by its scope which encompasses your own behaviour unless you're suggesting you don't understand the words "bullying", "harassing", "coercing", or "encouraging". I would argue these are within most people's vocabularies and understanding.

Alternatively your comments suggest that you think you are exempt from this rule because you think your comment is funny, though the rule makes no mention of such an exemption. And how would this work? By what standard is funny measured? Does the comment author simply need to self-identify as a funny-man to exempt themselves from this rule in similar fashion as you have done here, or is there a more rigorous test that can be applied in determining when a comment is exempt by its supreme status as funny? Does this mean bullying/harassing/coercing/encouraging players to quit the game is permissible as long as we stipulate that it is funny to do so? If it's simply up to Alex's interpretation, does this mean Alex will make himself available to approve comments before we post them so that we may ensure we don't cross the line? I would argue the exemption you imply is more nebulous than the specific wordage of the rule, and would facilitate a toxic culture of bullying/harassing/coercing/encouraging players to quit the game provided one throws in an obligatory "it's just a joke" disclaimer.

Edited by Zephyr

2 hours ago, Zephyr said:

This is character assassination; a distraction that is completely irrelevant to the objective of the thread, a common ploy used when one is incapable of forming a substantive argument for the topic at hand.

I don't care about the topic at hand lmfao. 

I just enjoy seeing how much you care about it. Too much I'd say lmfao.

XLL3z4T.gif

You might as well have posted "upvote if sketchy made you leave" lmao.

As you have stated multiple times the rules speak to intent, anyone with an IQ above the low 20's could tell simply from reading that it was a joke which means the intent was humourous, not to coerce a player into leaving.

get over yourself

Edited by Machiavelli
  • Upvote 1

Screenshot_2018-12-26-00-42-07-578_com.discord098.png

Guest Zephyr
4 hours ago, Machiavelli said:

You might as well have posted "upvote if sketchy made you leave" lmao.

As you have stated multiple times the rules speak to intent, anyone with an IQ above the low 20's could tell simply from reading that it was a joke which means the intent was humourous, not to coerce a player into leaving.

get over yourself

Yes, and the rule covers comments bullying/encouraging other players to quit the game, with no mention of exemptions for those deploying contemptuous wit to ridicule other players (not like this is an admirable quality worth special protections anyhow).

You might also like to read my previous response which makes the case that such exemptions would be counterproductive to the intended effect of the rule to begin with.

Edited by Zephyr

• Administrators

@Sketchy Zephyr is correct here, your post does technically fall under "encouraging others to quit the game."

However, I don't think that this is a significant enough event to warrant moderation action over it. But to be clear, in the future, don't tell people to quit the game.

And another note--this is a No Discussion subforum. If you are not the accuser, accused, or have specific evidence to provide, you are not allowed to post here.

• Like 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

• Alex locked this topic