Mineral rich disputed territories to create more wars

Ketya

Situation: Game’s economic system is fairly active and somewhat working well. Meanwhile, there doesn’t seem to be enough wars.

Complication: How do we create more of ‘friendly’ wars where both sides know what they are getting into (I.e. they choose to fight a war).

Idea: Discovery of mineral rich yet disputed territories. 

Mechanics: 

1. Game randomly creates a notification announcing discovery of mineral deposits in some disputed territory. 
  2. Whichever alliance eventually owns the territory benefits from a temporary increase in mining (e.g. 25% increase in coal output for 1200 turns, numbers are placeholders).
  3. To own the territory, alliances need to claim the territory by clicking a ‘claim’ button on the notification page. Game randomly picks two alliances that ‘claimed’, to fight for the territory. Whoever wins (basically one side clicks ‘accept the loss’ button) gets the reward. 
  4. Some territories can be claimed only by Top-20, some by 20 to 50 ranked alliances, and some by non top-50 alliances.

What are your thoughts?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Ill be honest, I don't care much for how you layed it out mechanically but something like this or a change to the treasure system could work if implemented right.

• Upvote 3

This is essentially the Treasure mechanic, just changed to resources.

In paradisum deducant te Angeli; in tuo adventu suscipiant te martyres, et perducant te in civitatem sanctam Ierusalem.
Chorus angelorum te suscipiat, et cüm Lazaro quondam paupere æternam habeas requiem.

15 hours ago, Zed said:

This is essentially the Treasure mechanic, just changed to resources.

It's a bit more than that; treasures come to you, but you must go to disputed territories.

Treasures require no effort to acquire if you're lucky enough to have one pop-up in your nation or a comrade's nation, but with this suggestion it is necessitating some effort in order to acquire the disputed territory. This also means that unlike treasures there's no original owner and the entitlement that goes with that, or the political ramifications of militarily pursuing treasures. Given treasure trading is deemed illegal and treasures don't seem to motivate inter-alliance war, this might actually be a better, and fairer system than the current approach to treasures.

Edited by Zephyr

11 hours ago, Zephyr said:

It's a bit more than that; treasures come to you, but you must go to disputed territories.

Treasures require no effort to acquire if you're lucky enough to have one pop-up in your nation or a comrade's nation, but with this suggestion it is necessitating some effort in order to acquire the disputed territory. This also means that unlike treasures there's no original owner and the entitlement that goes with that, or the political ramifications of militarily pursuing treasures. Given treasure trading is deemed illegal and treasures don't seem to motivate inter-alliance war, this might actually be a better, and fairer system than the current approach to treasures.

I feel like the solution to this is to change tressures instead of having a new mechanic tbh. If we just made tressures permanent until someone steals them or until someone goes into vmode then people would have a reason to fight over them.

On 9/17/2020 at 10:29 AM, lightside said:

I feel like the solution to this is to change tressures instead of having a new mechanic tbh. If we just made tressures permanent until someone steals them or until someone goes into vmode then people would have a reason to fight over them.

No, treasures would thus become infinitely stratified at the extreme top tiers and leave even less often than they already do.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/18/2020 at 1:29 AM, lightside said:

Still not sure alliances would go to war over treasures, it seems inter-alliance war between conventional alliances primarily results from game politics so it'd just be a bonus when drawing lines I would think. And suppose you increased the benefits of treasures to make them appealing enough to war over, I worry that the benefit would be too economically great to be fair to the rest of the game.

I think maybe the OP's suggestion applied to treasures to determine original ownership could be a nice adjustment and surely simple enough for Alex to implement. @Alex What do you think?

Edited by Zephyr

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I think maybe the OP's suggestion applied to treasures to determine original ownership could be a nice adjustment and surely simple enough for Alex to implement. @Alex What do you think?

I'm not sure I understand what the suggestion is. Instead of randomly deciding where treasures go, just give it to whoever clicks "I want it"?

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

On 9/21/2020 at 1:09 PM, Alex said:

I'm not sure I understand what the suggestion is. Instead of randomly deciding where treasures go, just give it to whoever clicks "I want it"?

More or less. You (at an alliance level) basically choose to ‘fight’ for it instead of being randomly assigned, with an objective creating more wars where both parties are happy to fight. 

This somewhat reminds me of Torn's territory wars, it's a gang browser game where gangs can take control of buildings and bloc's that provide them bonus' and other gangs can initiate raids or contest the territory. Might be worth fleshing this out with the development team as a variation of this applied here could be interesting. 

image.png?ex=65f5acc8&is=65e337c8&hm=1606ce00348e48cf652f897b3bc05280d703dba4c8d18f7b009ab2ca44a5283b&